PDA

View Full Version : Special step - or dropping off a helicopter

Flying Bull
14th Nov 2012, 16:09
Hi all,
last year, when a fellow pilot fell of the roof of a BK117, after checking the rotorhead and the hydraulisch, I thought, what a .........
Well, had to change my mind, after slipping of the steps and nearly breaking my neck.
Problems started after using plattforms, cause before that, we just used ladders to do the checks. But now, depending on the position on the plattform, you can't use a ladder and have to use the tiny build in steps.
Expect of buying a helilifter,does anybody of you have a glorious Ideal, with which I can impress my Boss?
May be a hanging ladder i. e.?
Greetings Flying Bull

hueyracer
14th Nov 2012, 17:32
Yeah-watch ya steps!

Because of guys like you, the industry and their "Safety (Idiot) Managers" are bothering us with more and more ridiculous "ideas" (aka "brainfarts")....

For more than 60 years, pilots were climbing onto their helicopters to check them-and nothing happened......

misterbonkers
14th Nov 2012, 18:21
How about getting another helicopter (preferably a single) to sling you underneath so you can do your inspections at height?

hueyracer
14th Nov 2012, 19:12
Switch to flying *cough* smaller types-like the Schweizer300...
You can fully check them without climbing onto anything...

:)

Flyting
14th Nov 2012, 20:16
It took me close on 10 years of climbing on helicopters to finally slip off one... and I was just thinking of it when I saw my foot go one way it wasn't supposed to. Luckily it was only off the skid but I ended up with a slightly damaged ego and cracked wrist... :ouch:
Best thing to do, paint all steps with a non slip paint of some sorts... and be careful because like hueyracer says, you'll end up creating more problems than you want...

thechopper
14th Nov 2012, 20:22
;)
Increase your accuracy sticking her on the platform.

Then get modified platforms. Is it ADAC or DRF your working for?:E

heli-cal
14th Nov 2012, 20:59
Select appropriate size...

http://ulkastilts.com/Images/stilts.png

John Eacott
14th Nov 2012, 21:03
FB,

We had to address the issue of working >2 metres when State legislation dictated, so after some discussion with WorkSafe they accepted a line in the manual: take care when climbing the side of the helicopter!

Re the 117, the steps should have non slip as should the top of the cabin roof as a factory standard. If you haven't got non slip then that's the first thing that I'd call for. Have you the particle separator? That intrudes on the 'standing area' on the roof and will make life difficult, also have you got the grab handle for holding when climbing? The built in steps, while small, are fine for the job IMO, and if used correctly along with holding on to the upper step and then the grab handle should be quite safe: the old truckie's '3 points of contact' :ok:

Flying Bull
15th Nov 2012, 06:15
Yeah, I knew that some of the comments were coming....
Never thought, that it could happen to me but it did and behind the hand other pilots told me, that they nearly ripped their arms of, slipping of and dangling on the grip on one arm.
And yes, I work in an regulation happy environment ....
Still, its not only me, who is getting older and the smal steps really aren't made for everyday service.
Landing that way, that there will be place for a ladder? Ever landed on a plattform, wet plattforms, frozen plattforms, day and night, with crosswinds?
You really dont want to reduce the smal Safety margin you have in Case the bird starts moving....
May be a short hanging ladder would do?
I let you know, which solution will be found, First the antislip painting will be checked on all our birds.
Greetings Flying Bull

OvertHawk
15th Nov 2012, 07:01
Issue i've thought about for some time - don't see easy answer...

I prefer to use the built in steps because i'm quite tall and the reach is not too bad for me - some of my colleagues prefer to use ladders. I think the ladder is the less safe option because it is difficult to get it in exactly the right place and there is the risk it could move / slip. At least the steps on the aircraft are fixed.

Lessons i learned - always check the fitted steps before you try to use them - that way if the re-fueler has filled one of them with JetA-1 you find out in advance before you try and put your foot in it and slip!

I also use the "three points of contact" rule - two feet / one hand or two hands / one foot at all times. If you do this and are careful and methodical then i don't think that using the integral steps is any more of a risk than using ladders.

OH

HeliChopter
15th Nov 2012, 07:43
Right, don't know the bird, haven't a clue about the platforms but this popped into my head.

Is it possible to fix some form of ladder/steps footing to the platform? So essentially nothing in the way when landing / taking off but come inspection time just slot a ladder or steps into the footing.

Not quite sure what that would look like, two aluminium box sections perhaps that the legs of a ladder could slot straight into. Maybe adjustable to allow for varying position of heli on platform.

Just a thought, no idea if it's practical, legal, sensible, possible or within H&S regs........

skadi
15th Nov 2012, 08:33
I prefer to use the built in steps because i'm quite tall and the reach is not too bad for me - some of my colleagues prefer to use ladders. I think the ladder is the less safe option because it is difficult to get it in exactly the right place and there is the risk it could move / slip. At least the steps on the aircraft are fixed.

I also use the "three points of contact" rule - two feet / one hand or two hands / one foot at all times. If you do this and are careful and methodical then i don't think that using the integral steps is any more of a risk than using ladders.

OH You are right!
Yes, there are these big platforms used for maintenance purposes, but not quite comfortable for preflight...
And if you are out in the field, the only way is climbing up! Ask the EC135 pilots, they built up a lot of experience on this in the past month :}:}:}

skadi

Savoia
15th Nov 2012, 09:16
This is an often overlooked but nonetheless terribly important safety matter and, where safety matters, government and industry must be expected to invest in the resources required to make work safe.

In this particular scenario, the way forward is clear. When pilots conduct their daily inspections they must be accompanied by a small team of assistants holding a safety trampoline so that if at any time the pilot loses his footing, all he need do is jump onto the trampoline.

For those instances when the helicopter overnights away from its base, the trampoline must be folded and stored aboard the aircraft and the pilot tasked with recruiting suitable voounteers to shadow his daily inspection about the aircraft.

Simple really!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-QPJ8RFmWy9Y/UKS-eTW7xrI/AAAAAAAAKgo/gHBx_JFjrYU/s512/safety%2520trampolene.jpg

;)

Hughes500
15th Nov 2012, 09:32
huey racer

You obvioulsy dont bother checking the main rotor head then on a 300, either that or you are about 10 ft tall. You have to climb on to the tailboom to frame supports ( horizontal ones) to check the head:ugh:

hueyracer
15th Nov 2012, 10:14
Yip, you´re right.
And at that position, you´re approx. 50cm above the ground...or maybe 70cm?

Even Rock climbers do not need to secure themselves when in a training hall until they climb above 2 m...

:ugh:

Regarding the use of a ladder:
Don´t remember which SB it was...but pilots need a ladder for daily inspections anyway, as the tail rotor and the TR drive shaft needs to be check on each "Before Flight"-Check........

Flying Bull
16th Nov 2012, 19:25
Hi Savoia,

cool idea - offers job possibilities for some - but I guess to expensive ;-)

Three out of four contakt is actually what I do most times.
But even with both hands on the grip, you´re going to hurt yourself, if the remaining foot looses grip, because your weight is over the platform to move the other foot down.

Yes, we have a plattformladder for the tailrotorcheck - but you can´t use it for the main rotor and hydraulics.

I took a closer look onto the onbuild steps. The antiskidmaterial worn and overpainted - may be that contributed....

Greetings Flying Bull