PDA

View Full Version : Polish Air Force Association Gliding Club

astir 8
14th Nov 2012, 09:43
I have a Slingsby Skylark 4 glider which was originally flown by Nick Goodhart in the 1963 World Chamionships in Argentina.

It was then operated by the "Polish Air Force Association Gliding Club" and flown by E B Jerzycki in the 1963 and 1964 National Championships with the competition number 303.

Does anyone have information on the Polish Air Force Association or E B Jerzycki?

JW411
14th Nov 2012, 10:29
When I joined Chilterns Gliding Club at Benson in 1963, the CFI was a fiery Pole by the name of Lefty Kurylowicz. I believe he was also a member of the Polish Gliding Club and that they flew from Lasham. Not much help I'm afraid but perhaps someone from Lasham could point you in the right direction.

Lukeafb1
14th Nov 2012, 11:36
Again, this probably won't help, but we had two Polish (RAF) Officers who ran the RAF Halton Gliding Club between 1959 and 1962. I don't know where my log book is, so I can't tell you their names. But from recollection, neither was named Kurylowicz or Jerzycki.

sycamore
14th Nov 2012, 12:00
I worked on Station Flight at Halton,after my Apprentice course,for 4 months awaiting OASC.I flew several times with FltLt Dolicher who I believe was Polish,in Chippys WP811,WK551,and WB552.I don`t think he was an Apprentice Entry Flight Commander.Also flew with one of the Padres several times..

aviate1138
14th Nov 2012, 12:12
I am an ex [Associate] member of the Polish Air Force Association Gliding Club.

I joined because three of us [non Poles] bought the Oly2B from them and used their Pirat.

Did my 5 hours and Gain of Height in the Oly. All at Lasham - Wally Kahn, Peter Scott, 'Lester' Piggott, Anne Welch and so many others.....

Best bunch of characters I have ever flown with. All really good pilots and drinkers and carriers of the Polish Black Mood.......

CFI was ex Mosquito Squadron Leader Lefty K [can't spell the rest of his name.

EBJ was known as Ed I think. Lefty would do a Hangar Flight in anything aerobatic and would

do a stop just outside the hangar doors a la Bob Hoover.

Lost contact way back in 1968

303 was a Polish RAF Squadron number.

India Four Two
14th Nov 2012, 12:59
There is a brief mention of the Polish Club as one of the early clubs at Lasham in Wally Kahn's 1998 book "A Glider Pilot Bold" ISBN 0-9534200-0-0.

Everything you would ever want to know about the history of Lasham.

I picked up my copy in a used-book shop in NZ. It has an inscription on the fly-leaf and I only recently realized it was signed by Wally himself.

astir 8
14th Nov 2012, 13:30
Thanks for that. I've got a copy of "A glider pilot bold" somewhere. I'll look it up.

The International Vintage Glider Rally is at Lasham next year and I'd like to get the Skylark there, but will have to rebuild the trailer first!

chevvron
14th Nov 2012, 13:48
Vague recollection of Flt Lt Dollicher at Halton; wasn't he OC Airfield and handed over to Sqdn Ldr Maygothling?

India Four Two
14th Nov 2012, 15:11
I'd like to get the Skylark there, but will have to rebuild the trailer first!

No problem. Just wait for a good downwind day and declare a 730 km goal flight! :E

The very brief Polish Club reference is at the beginning of Chapter 13 (p97) of Wally's book.

Fitter2
14th Nov 2012, 19:00
Ted Jerzycki was a prominent member of the Polish Club at Lasham in the 1960s; Lefty Kurilovicz flew mostly with the RAFGSA. The Club was very active with ex-RAF Poles in the 60's and 70's but understandably they retired from active gliding with advancing years.

The Skylark 4s flown at Junin in '63 by Nick and John Willie were the first gliders Slingbys finished in polyurethane paint instead of traditional cellulose dope. Unfortunately, after a year of two the finish cracked horribly and they had to be expensively completely refinished. Ever tried removing 1/8" of paint resistant to any solvent known at the time?

astir 8
14th Nov 2012, 20:13
Funny you should ask that! Yes I have! Some years back I participated in stripping another (1964) Skylark 4 back to the wood - including a layer of yellow polyurethane which resisted all known paint strippers but fortunately powdered nicely under sandpaper and didn't clog it!

Thankd to all for info on PAFA

Lukeafb1
15th Nov 2012, 06:32
Sycamore,

Yes, you're right. Fl. Lt. Dolicher was one of my instructors. Quite a short guy, who I think flew Spitfires or Hurricanes on 249 Sqn (?) during the war. He terrified me when we landed after one flight, told me to stay where I was, got out and had two sandbags strapped into his seat. I'm still around, so his judgement couldn't have been too bad!:ok: