PDA

View Full Version : Nze @ Bze?

Al R
13th Nov 2012, 21:17
BBC News - RAF Brize Norton spends £1.6m on cutting aircraft noise (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-20308834)

Were there less complaints at Lyneham then, or did no one just take any notice?

Aviva HI
13th Nov 2012, 21:58
It is irrelevant if there were less noise complaints at Lyneham. There is some substance to these complaints (hence the high numbers !). I live very close to BZN . I served in the RAF for close to 30 years and the noise issue has me looking to move away.....it's that bad!

I think that, although the movements have increased since the Lyneham move, that alone isn't the real issue. It's the ground runs !
They often seem interminable.....the main culprits being the J's. Their noise signature
is terrible and at a pitch that is very irritating. The K's have a much lower 'bumbling' noise and are no where near as irritating.

I have personally formally complained, and I don't think Brize has taken it seriously enough......some compromise should be attempted. Before any of you shoot me down in flames I openly invite anybody to come and stay for a week or two to get a flavour of the problem.

Fishtailed
13th Nov 2012, 23:04
I have personally formally complained, and I don't think Brize has taken it
seriously enough

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

TBM-Legend
14th Nov 2012, 03:32
The sounds of freedom....:}

Al R
14th Nov 2012, 05:53
Aviva,

I was referring to the fact that at Lyneham, it may have been easier to find a quiet spot and more of the locals were on the patch so probably less inclined to complain.

3 little Al R's under the age of 1 generated enough turbulence and noise to keep Lancaster Square awake all night anyway thank you very much, so yes.. I'd gladly swap for a week (or even a year or eighteen, until I got an understanding of the issue) with you..?

Its probably not fair to say Brize hasn't taken it seriously - £1.6 millions is a hefty whack for anyone to spend.

Gnd
14th Nov 2012, 09:46
NIMBYs, how is it a surprise that an airfield makes noise? Hold progress for the armchair has-beens!!!

melmothtw
14th Nov 2012, 10:05
Hold progress for the armchair has-beens!!!

At 47 you're not exactly 'up-and-coming' yourself Gnd.

Speaking as someone who grew up on air bases (inlcuding Brize, although before the C-130s were transferred there) and so has an understanding of noise issues, I personally had no problem with the almost constant sound of aircraft movements. In fact, being a bit of a spotter I positively welcomed it.

However, I don't think it's fair to dismiss as a NIMBY anyone who may feel differently. Living on this cramped and somewhat over-populated island, noise is something that affects a great many people and can seriously impact the quality of their lives.

Just saying "Well, you knew there was an airport there before you moved..." isn't good enough as there are very few places that aren't within earshot of one source of noise or another. Indeed, you'd have thought the Cotswolds would be on of the few places you could go to get some peace and quiet.

P6 Driver
14th Nov 2012, 10:13
I'm surprised that there are 6 replies and the spelling police haven't commented on the text-speak title to the thread!

(Until now, obviously)
:p

VX275
14th Nov 2012, 12:01
I'm surprised that there are 6 replies and the spelling police haven't commented on the text-speak title to the thread!

Exactly. Personally I use Bzn not Bze

Roadster280
14th Nov 2012, 12:32
It's BZZ. At least it was when I was posted there.

The thread title made no sense to me at all, hence why I had to read the thread. Are C-130's really noisier than VC10s? I don't remember that being the case.

Motleycallsign
14th Nov 2012, 12:44
If you remember tho' Roadster the 10's were backed into noise attenuators for gnd running so the noise was deadened to some degree.

OmegaV6
14th Nov 2012, 13:25

(Until now, obviously)

Have you no soul ?? Do you not see the poetry in the Title ??

That exquisite play on TLA's ???

That is not just a Title .. it is an M&S Title .....

(Come on Al R help me here .. I'm trying for you !!!! )

;);););););)

sisemen
14th Nov 2012, 13:39
Cutting aircraft noise at Brize [email protected] geddit??

Personally I would be far more concerned about the use of 'less' when 'fewer' is meant.

Al R
14th Nov 2012, 13:40
In my defence, I did use a question mark.. opening the door to the possibility of education and not eradication.

(And thank you siseman, case in point.. I feel a better person! ;) )

alwayslookingup
14th Nov 2012, 14:23
When I saw the title I thought it was going to be one of those "If you need to ask you don't need to know" type of discussions. That's why I read it.

In fairness, and based on Aviva's service background and reasoned argument, I'm inclined to sympathy.

I remember as a kid my bedroom windows rattling as various shades of Vulcan, Lightning & Phantom pelted down Leuchars & Coningsby runways at max power. But that was only on takeoff. Read the Aviva's point. It's the ground runs that seem to be problematic, not take off/landing.

ukcds
14th Nov 2012, 14:37
Start Rant.....Firstly a great dammed song secondly it's all around you unless you live in the middle of nowhere and thirdly it's outrageous in these times of austerity compulsory redundancy,that the Air Farce is wasting money on noise. Why don't you all go to the government and get the aircraft grounded then all the boys and girls can come home sit at bzz, bzn or bze and walk around in there slippers till you really need them , but then there will be no defence for you or your families... Hope your pitch forks are sharp. ..... Rant over