PDA

View Full Version : Buying & operating a microlight in NE Hampshire - advice pse

Deneb
13th Nov 2012, 20:24
Hello,

A friend and I wish to buy and operate a small microlight with a maximum of 4 owners. We both live in NE Hampshire and the purpose of this post is twofold; firstly to try and make contact with other microlight operators in the area (taken very broadly) who would be kind enough to offer advice; and secondly to learn from others who operate the microlights we have identified as most likely to satisfy our needs.

The aircraft we are considering, and are beginning to look at are Rans S6s, AX3/2000, X'Airs, Avid Flyers and Kitfoxes. Some are microlights, some are Gp A. Other points we are considering are 4-stroke vs 2-stroke and suitability for indoor vs outdoor storage. The aircraft will be used for local flying with occasional longer, multi-day trips.

After countless hours of reading BMAA and LAA related posts about operating aircraft variously under different schemes (mostly helpfully by Genghis the Engineer!), I think we are making progress understanding how we must operate it.

We have now reached the stage where we would benefit from helpful pointers – are there any S6 owners, for example who would be happy to advise us on the practicalities of owning and operating the type. Local LAA/BMAA inspectors we should get to know etc.

Thank you very much for any help you may be able to offer.

Best wishes

Julian

Rod1
13th Nov 2012, 20:53
LAA Inspectors in your area can be found;

Welcome to the Light Aircraft Association (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/inspectors/inspectors_Listing.php)

Rod1

mikehallam
13th Nov 2012, 21:27
Google/Join the hmfc aka Hampshire microlight flying club.

mike hallam

Deneb
13th Nov 2012, 22:03
Rod, Mike, thank you.

I flew with Sandra at Old Sarum and will pop down to their next monthly meeting.

Pilotage
14th Nov 2012, 01:31
Chilbolton and Popham are the two obvious places to look at.

Popham is bigger and better resourced, but more expensive.

Chibolton is small, cheap and friendly - and a bit more microlight intensive. If Chilbolton can ever be called intensive !

Both would I'm absolutely sure would be happy to have a new resident syndicate. Both have instructors and BMAA/LAA inspectors and check pilots either based there or local and "known friendly". They're both friendly clubs, and only a few miles apart.

Both of them it's worth going and saying hello in person - neither has a good web presence.

Of your list, all are good aeroplanes, all have strengths and weaknesses. I'd suggest starting at the X'Air as a baseline - it's cheap, there are lots available, storable outdoors, and there are lots of engine options. Having a baseline, means that you can then consider "differences" which makes understanding your options easier.

P

this is my username
14th Nov 2012, 06:21
Whilst there is no harm in doing lots of research up-front, you will learn such a lot about aircraft, what they can do and what you enjoy doing from learning how to fly that you would be best not to make any firm decisions until you have a decent amount of training under your belt.

While you are training you will meet lots of people, hear lots of opnions, and perhaps even get to know anout aircraft for sale / places to fly from which aren't generally publicised.

mikehallam
14th Nov 2012, 09:58
BTW,

Rans are certainly a good all round plane, I have two. If you wish to tell me your PM, I can add it to the RansMail addresss list, which may let you see a bit more about this marque as well as other light a/c in our aviation scene.

mikehallam@btinternet dot com.
(Use a . for dot)

chevvron
14th Nov 2012, 13:10
I have experience of AX3, Chevvron and Shadow. The two latter have a higher cruising speed than the AX3 (AX3 criuises about 50 - 55kt, the other two about 65kt) so they would be better for touring, but for sheer fun (STOL and control response etc) it's the AX3 every time.
I've never flown a Rans of any type, but had a 'hankering' for an S4 at one time. I would imagine the S6 has similar performance to the Shadow CD.
mikehallam; you're not related to the late Gp.Capt. Reg Hallam are you?

mikehallam
14th Nov 2012, 14:13
UK Rans S4 with reliable little Rotax 447 can use (my 8+years ownership) under 8 L/h, at 57 mph. Slow, but nice flying characteristics. Max cruise ~60.
In USA & France etc. some have the '503' which gives a bit more speed, perhaps safe cruise 60 mph.

Rans S6 all sorts of motors and wing sizes from microlight to S6-116 Gp.A. Plenty of room for two people plus a bit of baggage inside. Cruise from high
60's to ~100 mph. Consumption obviously varies, say from ~10 - 20 L/h.

All have Dacron skins so need inside under cover storage - Chilbolton might be the place to chat up folk if you need (to build) a shed. All 'Permits' catered for LAA whether micro or not, LAA also have web list of willing Inspectors.

mike hallam. [Only relation Cap'n Vince Hallam.]

chevvron
14th Nov 2012, 16:11
Hangarage available at Fairoaks but I don't know how much it costs; usually it's negotiable.

Deneb
14th Nov 2012, 21:46
Mike - thank you for that. You kindly added me to your list a fortnight or so ago! I have been avidly reading through back issues ever since.

Chevvron, thank you, that is really useful intelligence. We will look into it and keep you posted on what we decide.

Pilotage, thank you, I will pop into Chilbolton. Been a while since I last flew into there and I should pop in again.

Username - again, thank you. Albeit reasonably new to microlights, neither of us are new to flying.

I am really grateful for everyones responses, thank you.

Julian