PDA

View Full Version : A320 FAMILY ENGINE START SQUENCE

guclu
13th Nov 2012, 19:33
Hi all bus drivers,

According to Airbus FCOM second engine is to be started after the gray background has disappeared.

I saw on an Airbus presentation saying that the second engine can be started after the first engines start valve is closed. But Airbus is not recommending this procedure.

I am wondering how you are currently performing it ?

We are doing it as per FCOM currently but I am also thinking it might save fuel and time. The only bad side is I think if after the valve closes there is a stall or high EGT and the start is aborted there is no immediate air to crank that engine.

Thanks in advance

DutchOne
15th Nov 2012, 07:53
Safety before savings!!

compressor stall
15th Nov 2012, 11:39
Is five or ten seconds going to make any difference?

PENKO
15th Nov 2012, 11:56
More than 1000 flights a day times 5 seconds= 5000 seconds less idle fuel burn=big bonuses all round! :ok:

A320baby
15th Nov 2012, 12:05
In my company he have to note the peak EGT for each start, so I generally start number 1 after that.

PENKO
15th Nov 2012, 12:28
You can start the remaining engine a bit earlier and still note peak EGT. :E

All very non standard of course, and if you get it wrong...

swh
15th Nov 2012, 13:55
The Airbus FCOM procedure is a cover all for all situations. There is always a chance that a start may abort and require additional bleed to motor the engine before a restart.

The two engine types also behave differently during the start, one is quicker than the other.

guclu
16th Nov 2012, 10:01
For IAE engines time between valve close and gray background disappear is 20 seconds.

If you have access to Airbusworld you may donwload the Operating Procedure for Cost Saving presented by Airbus (themselves) at the 16th performance and operations conference.

In the presentation they say it is possible. Interesting.

guclu
16th Nov 2012, 12:25
I don't think I am confusing.

The time between Start Valve close (Approximately 43%N2) and gray background has disappeared is 20 seconds approximately.

For the CFM engine starts much faster than IAE V2500 series.