PDA

View Full Version : Falklands Governor Sir Rex Hunt dies

SRENNAPS
12th Nov 2012, 11:27
BBC News - Falklands governor Sir Rex Hunt dies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20294856)

Glad that the Falkland Islands have remained British while he was still alive. Hope they remain so for time to come.

RIP

Lukeafb1
12th Nov 2012, 11:35
SRENNAPS,

Don't you mean 'period'!!! Sir Rex would be mortified if he thought we might give it to the Argies!

RIP

ExRAFRadar
12th Nov 2012, 11:45
Watched 'An Ungentlemanly Act' over the weekend (again).

If Ian Richardson's portrayal of him is accurate then he was a top character.

As an aside a top film as well.

Pontius Navigator
12th Nov 2012, 11:45
Met him at Government House, lovely man and wife too.

Ant T
12th Nov 2012, 12:17
Particularly appropriate to remember him here on a military/aviation forum -
Rex Hunt was a Spitfire pilot just after the end of WW2
While governor of the Falklands he bought a Cessna 172 which was ferry flown to the Falklands in January 82. It was damaged during a Sea Harrier raid on Stanley airport on 1st May 82, and never flew again

SRENNAPS
12th Nov 2012, 14:50
Lukeafb1

Yes I definitely meant "period". Maybe my understanding of “time to come” is incorrect.

I will add though that I hope that all future British politicians think the same way.

Ant T - Totally agreed:D

beerdrinker
12th Nov 2012, 16:38
Great chap. After he showed us round Government House he signed Falklands Bank Notes for us. Still have mine on the wall of my study.

soddim
12th Nov 2012, 17:36
Fond memories of Sir Rex from our visits to Govt House and runs ashore to The Globe. Also enjoyed listening to him tell the residents of Goose Green during his farewell visit how he managed to get Maggies ear the Monday after the Brighton bomb and how he got the fisheries licenses sorted despite the objections of Foreign Office bureaucrats.

He was our Guest on the Coastel at our dining out even though he was persona non grata with the Foreign Office and not meant to be invited by the military - can you believe that? Guess the establishment was still smarting! We were so pleased that Mavis kept the bar open until around 0130 despite the wishes of the Stn Cdr to close all bars by midnight.

Great man, great leader and really good company.

RIP

Craven Moorhed
12th Nov 2012, 19:04
Sir Rex was such a bloody fine gentleman. He will be missed.

After serving as a pilot on V(AC) Sqn, he became the Associations President and served the reunions superbly. His after dinner speeches were brilliant.

In the last 10 years he also gave great lectures to baby pilots at both Linton & Valley which I'm sure inspired them.

Let's hope for him & the 258 who gave their lives in 1982 that those rocky islands stay British.

RIP

500N
12th Nov 2012, 22:36
"and not meant to be invited by the military - can you believe that?"

That is amazing.

Pontius Navigator
13th Nov 2012, 08:03
I think there was a certain friction between CBFI and the Governor. As Governor he was supposedly commander of all British Forces. As CBFI De la Billiere etc were also commander of all British Forces and the general was not about to cede command to a retitred flt lt.

The angst was, I believe, all on the side of the military. We were on the first T* in to MPA. We never met CBFI but were all invited to GH for drinks. CBFI was probably too busy with the gp capts on board but a thank you tot he crew would not have gone amiss. HE ws much more understanding and appreciative.

Al R
14th Nov 2012, 12:11
Timely.. and especially in light of the Sri Lanka report.

Ban Ki-moon and colonialism: people should be able to decide their own future — MercoPress (http://en.mercopress.com/2012/11/12/ban-ki-moon-and-colonialism-people-should-be-able-to-decide-their-own-future)

Argentina has on several occasions asked for the good offices of Ban Ki-moon to bring both sides together, Argentina and UK, and help establish a dialogue on the Falklands/Malvinas sovereignty. “I know that the government of Argentina has agreed to this, and I still hope for the UK’s agreement” said Ban Ki-moon.

Hmmm.

Squirrel 41
14th Nov 2012, 17:00
Al R

Ban Ki-moon and colonialism: people should be able to decide their own future — MercoPress

Quote:
Argentina has on several occasions asked for the good offices of Ban Ki-moon to bring both sides together, Argentina and UK, and help establish a dialogue on the Falklands/Malvinas sovereignty. “I know that the government of Argentina has agreed to this, and I still hope for the UK’s agreement” said Ban Ki-moon.

Hmmm.

Fortunately, there will be a Referendum shortly on what the Islanders' views on their future constitutional arrangements will be. I'm not expecting to see a blue and white flag with a sun flying over Port Stanley anytime soon.

And though I never met him, Sir Rex was always an inspiration.

RIP, Your Excellency

Pontius Navigator
14th Nov 2012, 17:20
I see from the obituary that Sir Rex had asked the FCO for advice and lines to take and was effectively hung out to dry.

Happened to me once, asked the Boss which of two courses of action he would prefer I took. He ignored me so I made a decision. Later he asked me why I had asked him the question.

The FCO obviously felt that 'no advice' would mean 'no blame' a typical Sir Humphrey reaction.

Geoffrey Home
3rd Jan 2016, 18:55
Rex Hunt's plane never flew again but l have the O-320-D2J engine. It was rebuilt some years ago, time-continued (100hrs) and waits to power my Acrosport II