PDA

View Full Version : Stall strips DA20

JulienD
11th Nov 2012, 00:22
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the stall strips of the DA20.

If my sources are correct, their primary use is to encourage the stall where they are mounted.

Besides this, they also create a buffet near the stall which can be felt through the control colums.

Now my question is, why are they mounted close to the wingtip on the DA20 rather than wingroot ? Wouldn't it be preferable, to enhance the stall characteristics of the aircraft to have them mounted close to the wingroot ?

Best regards,

Julien

Jerr
11th Nov 2012, 08:30
Hello Julien

Try posting on the Diamond Aviators Website.

Lots of useful Diamond information there DIAMOND AVIATORS NET, the forum for Aviators of Diamond Aircraft DA20, DA40 and DA42 (http://diamondaviators.net)

Good luck

JERR

Dick Smyth
11th Nov 2012, 09:37
They may be towards the wingtip to induce a wing drop for training purposes. Some aircraft are inherently stable during a stall.

JulienD
11th Nov 2012, 09:45
Thanks Jerr for the link. Great forum !

Harry Cooper
11th Nov 2012, 10:32
Is the DA20 a T tail? Maybe it's to ensure a wing drop at the stall rather than having the tail "blanketed" at higher angles of attack with the possibility of loss of elevator control.

Oktas8
12th Nov 2012, 07:21
Hi Julien,

Having instructed in Diamond aircraft for years, I think they are in that location for three purposes. They offer some buffet over the aileron for pilot's stall indicator purposes. They guarantee aileron effectiveness right up to the stall by converting a laminar boundary layer into a turbulent boundary layer. They modify the spin characteristics of the aircraft to make it still a good spinner, but consistent and safely so.

Cheers, O8

Tmbstory
12th Nov 2012, 07:29
The real DA - 20 was the Falcon 20, a delight to fly.

Tmb

JulienD
13th Nov 2012, 09:26
Thank you for the information Oktas8.