PDA

View Full Version : Unclaimed Medals

unclenelli
10th Nov 2012, 15:43
With the recent death of my last grandparent (Maternal Grandmother aged 97) I have done some research.
I knew she was a school Dinner Lady and the during the war she was a plotter at a Tracking Station on Teesside. To this end I arranged a visit to the RAF Digby Ops Room Museum for her daughter (my Mam) and grand-daughter (my Neice). (Thanks to all at Digby esp Kathy & Dave Clark)

Not wanting to be sexist, I asked Mam to dig out my Paternal Grandfather's WWII medals with a view to getting them framed as a Xmas gift for my Dad (who is currently completely unawares they are missing).

When she found them and passed them on, they are not engraved - Mine have Name, Rank, Service No (except for gizzits - QGJM & QDJM).

Is this because they were claimed after his death (1976) in 1978/9 (based on address on box)? They aren't marked DUPLICATE.

Looking at the RE website, it informs me that I need to speak to the Army Personnel Centre to obtain his Service Record.

Does anyone else know of any other details pertaining to:
1923314 Spr Leonard Cullen, RE?
1939-1945 Star
Africa Star (1st Army)
Italy Star
Defence Medal
War Medal 1939-1945
(www.forces-war-records.co.uk (http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk) doesn't list him)

or
Lena Proctor née Gibson (Gateshead, Stockton-on-Tees), plotter at a Tracking Station in Norton, Teesside.
I know her father was a convicted bigamist (Henry Gibson).

GalleyTeapot
10th Nov 2012, 15:58
I think those medals were issued unengraved, afaik

Lima Juliet
10th Nov 2012, 16:01
Form the MOD website...

The two medals, the 1939-45 War Medal and the Defence Medal, and the campaign stars awarded for service during World War II are not engraved with the details of the recipient. The decision not to engrave these medals was laid out in the original regulations relating to World War II medals and must still be followed today.

Ok :ok:

unclenelli
10th Nov 2012, 16:07
GT & LJ
TVM

ricardian
10th Nov 2012, 16:54
1923314 Spr Leonard Cullen - I'm sure that that service number is from the RAF Boy Entrant series

Pontius Navigator
10th Nov 2012, 16:55
Interestingly, while British medals were not engraved, those British medals issued by Commonwealth countries were engraved.

unclenelli
10th Nov 2012, 17:18
Ricardian
I don't think so. I have photos in definite Army uniform.
"Spr, RE" gives it away as Sapper, Royal Engineers, as does note contained with medals.

peppermint_jam
10th Nov 2012, 17:51
IIRC only galantry awards were engraved from that period. I have my grandmothers and they don't have her details on.

ricardian
10th Nov 2012, 17:54
From a webpage (http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?27-RAF-RAF-OR-Service-Numbers)on RAF service numbers
"1920000 to 1925000 May 1947 Boy Entrants"
Perhaps they re-used the series?

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
10th Nov 2012, 17:59
Prior to 1920 each regiment had its own system of regimental numbers (each starting at 1). If a soldier transferred to another regiment he got a new number. If a soldier was discharged or killed/died his number would be used again.

The second system was introduced in 1920 under Army Order 388 with each regiment allocated its own block of numbers. If a soldier transferred to another regiment he got a new number.

Royal Engineers were allocated; 1842001 - 2303000

The 3 services each used their own list of numbers. Until recently that is. Now, all enlisted types get an eight figure number from from a central list.

Aaron.