PDA

View Full Version : HF testing transmission station europe?

navygm
10th Nov 2012, 15:02
Anybody can help me pls... I need to know if there is a company or station that I can communicate with to do operational test of HF antenna?

One time I used a station where you can talk to a testing station or something like that, bur cannot fibd or remember it.
Was it in brussels or something?

Appreciate any help by tomorrow I need it pls

munster
10th Nov 2012, 15:30
Stockholm is the one most people use.

Fargoo
10th Nov 2012, 17:02
We use Stockholm radio.

Aviolinx - Stockholmradio (http://aviolinx.com/product/stockholmradio)

Call them if you get any problems, they are always really helpful.

navygm
10th Nov 2012, 18:39
Hey thanks alot! appreciate everyone's help!
I completely forgot that. I used it once...

Is there any particular procedure how to call them?

grounded27
10th Nov 2012, 18:42
From looking at their web page, I would suggest calling their HF # +46 (0)8 601 79 10 , tell them your location and ask for the best frequencies.

navygm
10th Nov 2012, 19:38
I've sent them an email asking them any particular details and also the Freq which I need to use... I'll see if they respond.

Is there any particular sequence how to step by step call an HF radio?

Avionker
10th Nov 2012, 20:37
How many HF systems are fitted to the aircraft and does it have SELCAL?

mono
11th Nov 2012, 06:09
Every HF configured aircraft I've been on has an Aerad EAME (Europe, Africa, Middle-East) suppliment book in the flight deck. if you look in the Comms section there are pages on the european HF stations (stockholm, Shanwick, etc) complete with "skip" charts (propogation forecasts) which give an indication of the best frequency for the given time of day (remember the ionosphere moves dependent on the time of day so the optimum frequency will change accordingly)

Or you could look here Aviolinx - Stockholmradio (http://aviolinx.com/product/stockholmradio)

When calling them always repeat the callsign and give an indication of your location (they have big yagi arrays which they can move to point in your general direction and improve their reception). they have an agreement that all test calls are free of charge. while you have them its always a good idea to check the selcal too.

orion1210
11th Nov 2012, 06:53
Hello,

I've been reading this thread with interest as a B1 engineer.

On a test call to stockholm would you use the same phrasology as normal vhf r/t? Including the readablility scale?

Would you use the aircraft registration/callsign or the 2-2 letter selcal?

Having seen a number of HF system major component changes by B2's over the years and not one r/t test, other than making sure it tunes, with the line "it'll work" upon questioning... :ugh: It will be nice to push them in the right direction with a little confidence :=

Thanks in advance

Fargoo
11th Nov 2012, 09:24
orion, you need to state full registration, approximate location and frequency.

I usually then give them minute or two to reply. If I don't hear anything I'll try again or phone them. If that doesn't work, moving the aircraft to another stand or away from terminal buildings if possible normally does the trick.

To me it depends on the snag whether I'll do a transmit test. The AMM, particularly with Airbus tends to be very lax and a bite or tune is quite often sufficient.

As an example - Transceiver change on a 777 the MM just requires a BITE through the MAT. However if the incoming defect was "No sidetone" then a full test would be prudent.

navygm
11th Nov 2012, 09:38
Just did the HF transmission test successfully! Reception stregth was 4x5 With HF1 & 2. Stockholm radio replied and I also did a Selcal code check and received it!

Thanks everyone for the help

navygm
11th Nov 2012, 11:21
"How many HF systems are fitted to the aircraft and does it have SELCAL?"

Our aircraft has 2 HF systems which in this case was A340-300 and also SELCAL incorporated.

Usually when I change or do mods on HF i always do operational checks. This time I had forgot the website.