PDA

View Full Version : RUMOURS

fencehopper
9th Nov 2012, 00:10
Can anyone confirm the couple of rumours floating around that the RAAus fleet will be grounded in three days time and that CASA have had their funding curtailed by the govt that will hamper their out in the field ops and hiring of new staff.
FH

j3pipercub
9th Nov 2012, 00:32
Well that'll make Caboolture A much safer place to fly

Trolololololol

TBM-Legend
9th Nov 2012, 02:09
Big ad in today's "Australian" looking for CASA staff!

Where do these rumours start?

Horatio Leafblower
9th Nov 2012, 02:13
My contacts at CASA say "no", but maybe your contacts are better thanmy contacts :confused:

squawk6969
9th Nov 2012, 04:03
Mr Leafblower,

As strange as this may seem your smoke signals have been subject to strong winds.

Mr fencehopper's transmission has been detected elsewhere and may be close to the truth.

What comes of all this will be interesting to say the least.

VH-XXX
9th Nov 2012, 04:57
VERY strong winds it would seem 69'er...! as to whether this is the start or the end, stay tuned!

Aircraft Registrations and Renewals

November 9, 2012 | opsassist
Following a CASA Directive RA-Aus is unable to process aircraft registrations, including renewals until further notice.
RA-Aus regrets this inconvenience and the board and staff are working closely with CASA to resolve this situation as soon as possible.
This notice will be updated by close of business Monday 12 November 2012, or earlier if there is any change.

Frank Arouet
9th Nov 2012, 05:03
My rumour hears CASA will be grounded in three days and RA-Aus have had administrative funding slightly curtailed due to same CASA grounding.:oh:

VH-XXX
9th Nov 2012, 05:06
CASA grounded, or CASA ground RA-Aus?

Frank Arouet
9th Nov 2012, 05:07
Stop it, you are just too quick!:(

Frank Arouet
9th Nov 2012, 05:31
Given it is Friday afternoon and there is nothing on the CASA website, one can only assume there is a pool of ungerdunger that is investigating itself when they were paid servants elsewhere, but now employed by CASA.

Same CASA staff I understand who watched a PPL doing paid for joyflights, did nothing, then lamented the loss of the same aircraft and it's passengers.

What else would you expect!

EDIT to add and notwithstanding the previous text, I am assured the RUMOUR is 99.99% bull$hit. The rest will be addressed by Monday hopefully.

baswell
9th Nov 2012, 05:49
If you don't register aircraft on weekends and everything will be sorted by Monday, then what is the point of putting the message up on Friday afternoon?

I am sure it will be sorted, though I am skeptic it will be 100% OK again by Monday...

VH-XXX
9th Nov 2012, 06:33
The optimist in me says that it will be resolved by Monday but in reality I don't think CASA will be working overly hard this weekend to resolve this.

It would seem that every time CASA looks closely at RA-Aus record keeping specifically around LSA aircraft, each stone unearthed presents a multitude of missing formal documents which has systematically grounded a number of aircraft recently, type by type. Luckily it would seem that RA-Aus has done the right thing and grounded them type-by-type versus wholus-bolus.

Frank Arouet
9th Nov 2012, 09:15
This is a RA-Aus matter that has to be resolved, from my information, by them. They are capable of working weekends and I understand the .01% problem is being addressed.

TBM-Legend
9th Nov 2012, 10:19
It's actually a CASA delegation problem. ....

CASA legal are working to issue new delegations to the relevant industry groups.

CASA recently found that the industry delegations issued are not correct,

As it transpires, no one in the industry including CASA themselves, can issue any authorisation (C of A, Maint Authority) that requires a condition to be imposed. CASR 11.056 requires it to be a delegated function, no one has that delegation.

Clowns running the circus again.:hmm:

Jabawocky
9th Nov 2012, 10:31
How many years has this taken?

I keep saying, buy a user licence from the yanks, "Find / Replace" FAA with CASA and print!

:rolleyes:

Ultralights
9th Nov 2012, 10:38
So, what about all those ATPL's, AOC's issued with conditions? Are they suspended as of the Friday 16:55 fax?

Jabawocky
9th Nov 2012, 10:41
We are all grounded UL
:}

Good pickup! There will be some good reason.......Shirley!:uhoh:

Ultralights
9th Nov 2012, 10:41
I vote, the entire aviation industry in OZ, private pilots, large and small commercial operations, inlcuding QANTAS, Virgin, etc, from this point on, Ignores CASA and operated to FAA standards...

If this were to happen, just what would CASA do? Tomorrow I'm flying under my FAA part 103 regulation. Etc etc etc...

Capt Fathom
9th Nov 2012, 18:12
My rumour hears CASA will be grounded in three days

That would be fantastic news! :mad:

Kharon
9th Nov 2012, 19:06
Nah, they'll just take the usual hit: knock off early Friday and return Tuesday after a flexi day Monday. Then it's catch up Wednesday, Admin Thusday, meeting Friday (morning). It's the stress you know: "ah, the bells, the bells".

Don't ring us, we'll ring you... :D

baswell
9th Nov 2012, 19:47
This is a RA-Aus matter that has to be resolved, from my information, by them.
That's a very simplistic view of the situation.

How would you like to manage over ten thousand pilots, close to five thousand aircraft and more schools than CASA has to deal with on a shoe-string $2M a year member paid budget while your unlimited tax dollars are doing the same for VH jocks?

The LSA issue is purely one of CASA's making. They could have just said they accepted the ASTM standard and allow these aircraft to be flown at 600kg but nothing else changes in paperwork and procedures and be done with it. Instead, they made a parallel path with different rules for different aircraft within RA-Aus and the overloaded system cracked.

Frank Arouet
10th Nov 2012, 01:35
Let me rephrase that.

CASA has created a problem, (perhaps with LSA aircraft), I understand, which come under the RA-Aus umberella and RA-Aus are forced to deal with it using their own time and Members money.

Perhaps SAAA would like to deal with it?

(They may pick up the scraps if it isn't sorted. Makes one wonder about the new DL Medical and how it may be "evolved" to enscapsulate it, (the) "problem").

I believe however, it will be sorted despite an ex CASA employee, plus ex, (should have been), confidentiality bound, but now vested interested, plus now, fully paid up members, of the CASA club.

If anybody doesn't understand what's wrong with aviation in Australia, look at Hansard and The Senate. Or check some other threads on PPRune.

Aviation is it's own worst enemy in Australia.

Clare Prop
10th Nov 2012, 02:53
Instead, they made a parallel path with different rules

That's how they seem to do everything though. Aircraft Flight Manuals, CASA schedule 5, all this, Class D airspace, NIght VFR ratings etc etc etc...

Not keen on the whole RAA thing. You can really see the difference in standards when you have an RAA trained person want to convert to GA.

baswell
10th Nov 2012, 06:16
CPLs are of higher standards then PPLs too. And those CPLs the a MECIR are even better. Where does it end?

Safe enough is safe enough. Let's go flying! :ok:

Arnold E
10th Nov 2012, 08:17
Not keen on the whole RAA thing. You can really see the difference in standards when you have an RAA trained person want to convert to GA.

I have seen CPL trained pilots that I dont like being on the same airfield with, much less in the same aircraft.

So your point is???????

DancingDog
10th Nov 2012, 10:52
CPLs are of higher standards then PPLs too. And those CPLs the a MECIR are even better. Where does it end?
Safe enough is safe enough. Let's go flying!
^This
There will always be a safer option, but in no way does that mean that the current one is dangerous. If it's safe then whats the issue?
Also, remember that an RAA Cert doesn't allow you to do certain things (controlled airspace, >2 seaters etc etc) that a CASA licence does so the training standards might be lower but they are totally adequate for the flying that will be done by a RAA pilot.
I'm a big fan of RA-Aus because it allows me to fly out of the rural airports that I like without having to produce $10K for a PPL that will allow me to fly in places and aircraft that I don't want to while having to maintain an OTT medical and put up with CASAs constant bull:mad:
RAA needs support, without it flying for fun would be out of reach of many.

Horatio Leafblower
10th Nov 2012, 11:02
A PPL for $30k? :eek:

VH-XXX
10th Nov 2012, 20:52
Get with the program HLB, quite obviously you aren't charging enough !

Donalduck
11th Nov 2012, 02:04
I think the problem is not that the training is not suitable... but that it is not of any consistent standard across Ra-Aus... . Schools have sprung up all over... and while they may not be making heaps of $$$ they were set up to do so... Ra-Aus was "contracted" to oversee it all and put safety systems in place to ensure that the highest possible (but obviously lower than PPL) standard was maintained. There are some great Ra-Aus flying schools... the one thing they all have is great CFIs/Instructors IMO. Then there is the other side of the coin where any old joe can finance his own flying by starting a school on the side... or buying an LSA and putting it online at a flying school...
From personal experience I see it all as being a more than a bit "hit and miss'... How the ex-Ra-Aus personal now at CASA couldn't have known this 4 years ago is beyond me...

Lets hope it can be sorted... (see I will remain positive)