PDA

View Full Version : Accident at Lismore...

Rich-Fine-Green
8th Nov 2012, 23:18
:-(

Two dead after NSW highway plane crash | thetelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/two-dead-after-nsw-highway-plane-crash/story-e6freuy9-1226513598452)

forever flying
8th Nov 2012, 23:33
Two dead after light plane crash alongside NSW highway
Mark Morri The Daily Telegraph November 09, 2012 10:58AM

TWO people have died after a plane exploded when it crash landed near a highway in northern NSW this morning.

A witness to the crash said the plane, suspected to be a Cessna, narrowly missed hitting a car before bursting into flames on impact with a nearby paddock.

Police confirmed the crash occurred near Lismore. Early reports are the light plane made an attempted landing on a highway.

"We know there has been an accident involving an aircraft," a police spokesman said this morning.

"At the moment police are on the way scene now so information is a bit sketchy."

The plane crashed near the Bruxner Highway near south Gundurimba about 10.15am.

There is a nearby airstrip used by light planes in the area.

More details to come...

rocket66
8th Nov 2012, 23:43
What the hell is going on lately? Aircraft are falling out of the bloody sky everywhere it seems :uhoh:

Elfatness
8th Nov 2012, 23:50
Im with rocket! wtf is going on out there?
Condolences to the families of all involved. Another tragic day for aviation. There seems to be too many lately!

solmanic
9th Nov 2012, 00:18
x3

This is getting me worried. All too close to home.

wateroff
9th Nov 2012, 00:55
I m possum eyed. Very sad to hear of another one. slightly off topic, does anyone have any stats/trends for the past 10 years? It seems to be increasing??? Where are the people "Keeping the skies safe" - What are they doing ?

Lancair70
9th Nov 2012, 01:31
Police scour paddock for debris after plane crash kills two | Northern Star (http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/two-killed-in-plane-crash/1616031/)

Listening to the witness description of the accident is chilling. Im sure all will agree on what has probably happened in the last few seconds.

the_rookie
9th Nov 2012, 01:46
very sad indeed

Flying schools have said the Piper is an unusual plane to learn to fly in.

Really?

TBM-Legend
9th Nov 2012, 01:47
Tobago [or Trinidad] turning base Rwy 33 at LIS and "fell out of the sky".... Stalled in the turn perhaps!

RIP to more aviators lost.

The Green Goblin
9th Nov 2012, 01:48
I fear planky might be right about this one.

What is going on right now? The industry's standards are slipping or something is in the water.

Another couple of aviators taken too soon .

I spy
9th Nov 2012, 02:01
At least some credible statements here, by a flying instructor: 'Wow, he's going down': two die in NSW plane crash (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/wow-hes-going-down-two-die-in-nsw-plane-crash-20121109-2922i.html)

Another bloody sad day in GA....:{

Clare Prop
9th Nov 2012, 02:42
Flying schools have said the Piper is an unusual plane to learn to fly in.

Where do they get this crap from?

Also, who are the Air Transport Safety Board?

It would show respect to the victims if the journos would do just a bit of basic research before writing this stuff.

At least in Sam Todhunter they do have a very credible witness.

RIP.

ozbiggles
9th Nov 2012, 02:46
It has been a few hours since this crash and I have heard and read half a dozen different descriptions form 'witnesses'. And some of you clowns think you already know the answer. You may be right, but that would be just an uniformed guess and you come on here thinking it gives you some credibility when In fact it does the complete opposite.

spocky
9th Nov 2012, 02:56
He (the instructor) was a good friend to many...RIP ol mate

A very very sad day. :(:(

TSIO540
9th Nov 2012, 03:10
I flew with him for a couple of years and he is a great bloke. Very sad day.

VH-XXX
9th Nov 2012, 03:16
He (the instructor)

So that counts out any rookie mistakes. It must be bad when an experienced instructor goes in.

RIP.

Paullymac
9th Nov 2012, 04:07
What the hell is going on lately? Aircraft are falling out of the bloody sky everywhere it seems

Lack of stall/spin training?

mnehpets
9th Nov 2012, 04:55
Does anyone have any stats/trends for the past 10 years? It seems to be increasing?

The ATSB publishes the stats. The most recent report for the 10 years to 2011:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/3607162/ar2012025.pdf

There's a slight increasing trend in the accident rate (per departure) for GA. However, there's a large difference in rates for different types of flight (private/airwork/charter/training).

Next year's report will be interesting to read.

- S

Hailstop3
9th Nov 2012, 05:58
Very sad indeed. My thoughts go out to all involved.

To those in the know, can the initials of the instructor be posted on here? I have a very good friend who did work for AGC.

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Nov 2012, 06:42
The steadily increasing trend in GA fatal accidents from 2002 to 2010 should be a cause of concern for someone!

The trend from 2010 to 2112 may not be pretty.

Dr :8

LeadSled
9th Nov 2012, 06:59
The steadily increasing trend in GA fatal accidents from 2002 to 2010 should be a cause on concern for someone!
The trend from 2010 to 2112 may not be pretty.

Folks,
In total contrast to the USA, where there has been a steady downward trend for the last 20 or so years, although it has plateaued at the present, at a very low level.

But hell, what would 'dem Yanks know about aviation safety, compared to the good old Oz. of the rose coloured glasses.

Quite a lot, it would seem, including a good demonstration that education is what works, not jackboots "enforcement".

Tootle Pip!!

TSIO540
9th Nov 2012, 07:08
The Instructor I'm told is M.A

Bonniciwah
9th Nov 2012, 08:41
What the hell is going on lately? Aircraft are falling out of the bloody sky everywhere it seems

I was thinking the same thing when I read about this. I thought perhaps it's due to more people going up as the weather improves, but I guess that's not so much an issue in Queensland, Northern NSW where a few of these accidents have occurred.

yharry
9th Nov 2012, 09:21
this is just like the rvac bar,
extend the small information you have heard into the worlds major aviation problem.

i new both of the deceased.

the best report i know is 'engine failure after takeoff'

no comment any further than that.

oh, perhaps,

if you don't know what happened, don't speculate here and destroy the credibility of the deceased by your lack of knowledge of their credentials or the reason for their demise.

take in all the news reports and don't accept the eyewitness reports as gospel, commonly they are not accurate.

there are not only their loved ones and family greiving this accident.

safe travels

Avgas172
9th Nov 2012, 09:56
Bit hard to get an EFATO on the base leg of a circuit ....

Jabawocky
9th Nov 2012, 10:23
Leadsled

just for once
Quite a lot, it would seem, including a good demonstration that education is what works, not jackboots "enforcement".

Tootle Pip!!

Amen! :ok:

I would think that the 2012 numbers might be a blip in the 10 year averages. Either way one is one too many but unfortunately that is not how life is.

I do not know these folk, but for me 6 folk in 3 incidents that I know is a bit much for one year. :(

I spy
9th Nov 2012, 12:04
I'm sickened by the reporting of this accident: Fatal plane crash puzzles investigators (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2012/11/09/12/01/light-aircraft-crashes-in-nsw)

How the f*** do they proclaim to know that the plane was 80km off course, especially when there was another instructor in the vicinity who made very valid comments regarding radio calls and was in the circuit area around the same time?!?:mad:

I personally don't know the two people who died today...all I do know is that I'm sad...very, very sad. If I seem flippant in expressing my condolences please don't condemn me. It's always sad when we, as a flying community, lose two people who share our passion for flight.

RIP :{

jfkjohan
9th Nov 2012, 14:26
Very sad & shocked to hear this. I was in the same academy as the instructor, many moons ago.

To those who knew M.A., there is a facebook page in memory of him.

Please do join us. Thanks.

Prayers.

Who1038
9th Nov 2012, 14:46
Terrible news I used to work with the instructor involved. He was a great instructor with one hundred percent dedication to instructing not just there to build hours. Mate you where great at what you did and always had time to help people. You certainly helped me out when I was an instructor. Your students who have gone on to operate aircraft around Australia are true credit to your ability and passion as an instructor. You will be missed. my condolences go out to your family. Truly a sad sad day.