PDA

View Full Version : requirements for air taxi flying in the UK?

femaleflyer
12th Apr 2002, 13:21
This may be a naive request, but here goes:
Can anyone tell me of the minimum licensing and total hour requirements for air taxi work in the UK? The smaller, more personal work of air taxiing really appeals to me and I am compiling a CV at the moment. However, it would be useful to know whether an air taxi company would be willing to accept someone of my limited experience, before I start applying. I have a JAA CPL with ME IR, a 'frozen' ATPL (all from fully integrated training) with 260 hours total time, 65 of which on a twin. Would air taxi companies NOT be willing to consider my application on insurance grounds? I am 29.
Any replies and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Femaleflyer

MAX
12th Apr 2002, 13:34
A lot of air taxi work availiable is flown single pilot ops. Thanks to friendly JAR, you will require 700hrs min. to fly single pilot public transport (incl. freight etc). Unless you can find a private owner I suggest you target multi-crew operations. Given the current climate, Good Luck!

MAX:cool:

Pilot Pete
12th Apr 2002, 22:40
femaleflyer

Max is right, unfortunately for you the stamps would be a waste of money.

I was lucky in that I did the job with similar hours to you a few years back, but even then I was the exception to the rule. Generally they really couldn't afford to take people on with less than 700hrs due to the higher cost of insurance.

It was indeed single crew work and very demanding, especially the hours. It is unfortunately an avenue that will not be open to your for some time so good luck with the applications, oh and by the way don't discount instructing this summer, you would reach 700hrs by the winter which may be better than still getting rejection letters from the airlines with 260hrs come November.

Good luck

PP