PDA

View Full Version : Tasmania

Pa28200
8th Nov 2012, 02:26
Hi Guys

Thinking of a flying trip down to the apple isle over xmas, any tips and recommendations?

Aussie Bob
8th Nov 2012, 03:37
Tasmania is pretty special. It depends on what you are flying but King and Flinders are both worth a stop over and some of the smaller islands as well if you have the capability. Maria Island on the East, Bathurst Harbour in the West and Strahan are all good, look at your WAC and come on down.

fanning
8th Nov 2012, 03:44
As said above, every part of the state is great, if you have the time, go in via Flinders, fly down the east coast, past wineglass bay - overnight at Cambridge in Hobart

spend a couple of days in Hobart and if the weather allows, fly out via the south and west coasts, land at Wynyard for fuel and then head out via King Island

skip Launy :E

Frank Arouet
8th Nov 2012, 05:08
Every Island on the way is infested with nasty snakes. Don't crash there.

The main Island is infested with dodgy greens and alternative people who see the main Island, (Australia), as their benefactor as only a very small proportion of the population do anything constructive let alone pay tax.

The aviation scene is about cactus.

Don't take cat's with you, and dog's are very suspect.

Have your red paid up membership card validated prior to leaving the mainland. The Docks are a good place to do this. Don't mention my name.

Say g'day to Bob from all of us if you happen to cross into the "brightly coloured pleasurable entertainment lifestyle bar full of gayness" and abandon with subsidised drinks".

Or go to New Zealand. It's cheaper.

Volumex
8th Nov 2012, 05:49
Last time I went there, my engine decided to cough and splutter and generally not play fair on the way back - had to divert to Flinder Island. Scared the willys out of me. Motors go auto-rough when beyond gliding distance to land.

My advice is to fly high, wear your life jacket and track via the islands (despite the snakes - better than fending off the sharks)

DeRated
8th Nov 2012, 05:56
Ah, c'mon fellas - it's not that bad!

After all, the people who choose to live there have twice as many brains as us...........:}

Skystar320
8th Nov 2012, 11:11
are they still all inbreds down there?

heheh only kidding...

Brian Abraham
8th Nov 2012, 11:49
Aussie Bob, anyone running Denny Kings tin mine and living in his place at Melaleuca? An interesting place to visit in the old days when Denny was around. Salt of the earth, and make sure you sign the visitors book.

Aussie Bob
8th Nov 2012, 18:10
Brian: i think the mine is finished but the family just got a new lease on the old house. I met the granddaughter the other day.

PA: Don't listen too much to Frank, I suspect he has a retirement residence down here and secretly votes green, me thinks he just wants to keep the riff raff on the big island.