PDA

View Full Version : Pilot school

Flyer-Katanic
7th Nov 2012, 02:10
Can someone please tell me what type of math is needed in order to succeed in pilot school ?

I'm not much of a math person never was, but I need to pull up my socks for what is needed for pilots.

Thank you.

paco
7th Nov 2012, 03:48
Fairly basic - you do need to be able manipulate formulae and fractions, and you will need to know plane trigonometry (sines, cosines, etc). Transport Canada won't need much more than that.

Hey, I managed it :)

obgraham
7th Nov 2012, 04:23
You need to be able to grasp the concept, rather than worrying about the calculation methods. It's not really mathematics beyond mid-high school level. You have to think in terms of miles, feet, and degrees of the compass or angle. Speed and time calculations, etc.

Being able to understand how you get from Here to There without too much fancy equipment is important. In the same way that making change in the store shouldn't require a calculator, as it seems to so often.

And even if you eventually end up in a big jet where someone else works stuff out for you, you have to learn the concepts at the very beginning as you earn your Private. It's not so tough, and you should be just fine.

Flyer-Katanic
8th Nov 2012, 02:48
thanks for the replies !

Halfwayback
8th Nov 2012, 10:14
Flyer

Whilst a lot of the modern weight and balance in large aircraft is simplified by the software and hardware you will still be tested to ensure that you can do the calculations yourself for the time you are stranded without the facilities. For this you will need to understand the principles and that is where the line between maths and physics starts to blur.

However the ground school / FTO will ensure that you learn what you need to understand the problem - which is essential rather than learning a database of answers to pass an examination!

I think you got your answers and I wish you luck in the future.

HWB