PDA

View Full Version : Flybe luggage

multycpl
5th Nov 2012, 16:02
Flybe Amsterdam Southhampton
Hi all.

I have some Yank friends flying over from US to amsterdam then taking Flybe to Southhamton.

As per most across the pond flight, they have some luggage.........
They cant seem to add that on line or !! get hold of anyone on the phone.

Will they have to sell their first born to get it on the plane ?

ExXB
5th Nov 2012, 16:20
Do they have a single ticket US-AMS-SOU? If so bags should be checked through and the MSC (Most Significant Carrier's) baggage rule should apply to entire journey.

This could be different when they check in for their flights home, but outbound they may be OK. This assuming one bag per person not more than 20kg.

multycpl
5th Nov 2012, 16:32
Na, flying over and back with Arkefly (tui)

L'aviateur
6th Nov 2012, 18:06
Sorry for a thread hijack, but i'm also flying on a Flybe flight AMS-SOU with a KLM flight number, on a complete ticket MCT-AMS-SOU and afterwards SOU-AMS-MCT. I understand that the Most Significant Carriers baggage rule affects the hold baggage, but will there be any issues with regards cabin baggage as I understand Flybe have considerably more restrictions in that area then most carriers.

Sark
7th Nov 2012, 11:19
In response to the previous posting, Flybe have recently increased their hand luggage allowance. Check their website but it would appear that they are now compliant with the majority of other airlines as far as size is concerned.

jackieofalltrades
7th Nov 2012, 18:35
I've experienced with KLM and Delta that when booking through tickets as described here they do have small print that says on codeshare flights different baggage allowances may be in effect and additional charges could be incurred.
I think a lot of the time it's down to the luck of the draw of who you get at check-in/baggage drop at the airport whether you'll be charged or not.

c2lass
10th Nov 2012, 22:17
I asked a similar question a while back. We are flying to Abu Dhabi early next year with Etihad (booked direct with Etihad) with flights from ABZ-MAN with Flybe.

Interesting Etihad have just increased their hold baggage to 30kg even for economy. I tweeted them to ask if Flybe would honour this and got a reply saying they would!

Daysleeper
11th Nov 2012, 06:31
While you may have a 30 kg allowance, depending on the aircraft on the route and the size of the bag you may find it is placed in the hold for the flight though. Technically still counts as hand baggage, you carry it to the aircraft and get it back at the cabin door on the way out.

ExXB
11th Nov 2012, 06:38
The US DOT has told the airlines serving the US (as KL/DL both do) that such references are not sufficient. If there are differences they must tell you what those differences are. Call them and ask them to explain what your allowances are for the entire journey. Don't be put off by being told to check with the other airline, your contract is with the ticket issuing airline and it is their responsibility to tell you.

In the case of through checked baggage I doubt if you will have a problem, but if you have a stop enroute your mileage may vary, or if you check in with the other airline, for example 30kg checked with BE as the agent may have no idea of EYs 30kg limit. Also beware if the other airline has a maximum weight per piece, as some now do.

Edited to add: For clarity DOTs rule is in respect of code share flights. If a DL coded flight, operated by KL, is going to incur different rules/charges they cannot tell you in fine print that this "may" happen. Your contract is with DL not KL.

ExXB
11th Nov 2012, 06:41
While you may have a 30 kg allowance, depending on the aircraft on the route and the size of the bag you may find it is placed in the hold for the flight though. Technically still counts as hand baggage, you carry it to the aircraft and get it back at the cabin door on the way out.
The 30kg is for hold luggage. EY recently matched EK's long standing rule.

Daysleeper
11th Nov 2012, 06:48
Sorry exxb, I'm still half asleep! You're absolutely correct, for cabin bags the point is still valid, my long-haul trip bag fits neatly into an overhead on a 767 etc but won't even go under a seat in the Q400