PDA

View Full Version : future of freelance

pipertommy
5th Nov 2012, 08:26
Hi, I would like to know what the world of freelance work in the uk on say kingair 200 or such like can offer? I don't hold a TR, hold a ME/IR and current FI.
I'm wondering what plans i could lay for the future. I also hold a non aviation job have excellent time off, this should allow good availability each month.
Basically do many charter pilots work on freelance basis only ? I do appreciate the world of charter has suffered badly the last few years !

1Bingo
18th Nov 2012, 17:26
Yo Pip,

You might catch the clue from no response in the last fortnight that it's recommended you keep your day job. No type, no experience and all others grappling for work - go figure.

Good luck anyway,

Bingo

Stick35
18th Nov 2012, 17:40
If you have a lot of freetime, freelance can be fun. I always say, freelance is a hobby for some.
The employer does not have to pay social contributions. Freelance is only interesting for him if you can offer several days on a row. Offering 1 day and hoping you will back on time, just forget that.
Some companies also require that you pay your own recurrent as well. So if you have the pay the typerating and the recurrent, you really have to fly a lot to make it break even. Nowadays GA is really hard. To get in, even harder.

Hope i gave you some inside info.

tommoutrie
18th Nov 2012, 23:32
You might get occasional safety pilot work from someone like Capital at Exeter. They fly chieftans and kingairs single pilot so there's sometimes a competent right seat slot available. Try them - one of the first companies I worked for and they are a very nice bunch of folks.