PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks??

FlyingGoggles
3rd Nov 2012, 20:54
OK, I've tried searching, and either wasn't looking properly, or couldn't find anything.

Do fireworks cause any problems for aircraft/pilots? Are there specific procedures for flying during times when lots are going off, such as November 5th and NYE?

Can you see them below you as you climb?

I'm just curious to know :)

neroliie
3rd Nov 2012, 21:30
I'm interested too - around New Year's Eve my neighbourhood is like a war zone with fireworks on the streets and so on, but then I don't think I'm under any flight paths for which it would actually be a problem. Huzzah for anyone who knows about this :)

MAN777
3rd Nov 2012, 21:32
Fireworks dont have the height to cause any problems unless they are set off near to the runway ends.

At Manchester Airport there is a school about 1 1/2 miles on the centreline of 23R They used to have large commercial fireworks that were coordinated with arrival gaps, not sure if they still have the display.

The fireworks are very visible from the air but not as dramatic because they have all the town lights in the background

What used to cause problems were the "liberated" military parachute flares that were very high.

One of the highlights of my flying career was being airborne over Manchester city centre at the stroke of midnight on the millenium. In an instant the area was illuminated with thousands of rockets for as far as you could see in every direction, absolutely awesome :ok::)

FlyingGoggles
3rd Nov 2012, 21:34
Wow MAN777, that must've been amazing. I actually have issues with loud noises so fireworks scare me, but I bet they'd be awesome from a plane :)

Dct_Mopas
3rd Nov 2012, 22:51
Can cause problems when local residents fire fireworks out of drainpipes and think its funny to aim at aircraft on short finals. Happened a few times at an airport in the North West a number of years back if I recall correctly

Captivep
4th Nov 2012, 16:39
Flew from LHR to MAN a few years back on a crystal clear November 5th night. It was absolutely beautiful all the way up (although the fireworks do seen an awfully long way below the aircraft, thank goodness!).

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Nov 2012, 18:44
Coming in over Central London one 5th November a Lufthansa flight asked what the fireworks were for. My colleague replied: "They are to commemorate Guy Fawkes who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament". Presumably looking out of his window the LH replied: "Hmmm.. he didn't make a very good job of it".

FantomZorbin
4th Nov 2012, 19:00
Luqa International, mid '70s ...

ATC to Speedbird xxx inbound from the MLG, "Be advised, lots of firework activity around Grand Harbour and on final approach."

Speedbird xxx to ATC, "Roger that, we see them ... almost like 1940."

HapagLloyd xxx also inbound from the MLG, in an OTT stage accent " Speedbird xxx, Ve haf you in our sights!!"

ZOOKER
5th Nov 2012, 21:01
If you watch an organised display, as we did this evening, the upper limit is, at most, around 1000', not a problem if left or right of the R/W centre-line.
The display at Cheadle, mentioned above, is bang on the approach for EGCC R/W 23R, and therefore has to be co-ordinated with ATC. It was not held this year due to building work taking place at the display site.
In the early 1980s, both I and the duty tower supervisor called the local plod to end a firework display at a venue about 3/4 nm from touchdown, as it was obvious salvos of rockets were being fired at inbound traffic, and aircrew were, quite rightly, alarmed at the situation.