PDA

View Full Version : B777 flight crew rest compartment : oxygen

Philip Mew
3rd Nov 2012, 15:25
Fom the B777 AOM : " The oxygen masks above the bunks and seats will drop automatically in the event of a decompression. "

I cannot see a panel for the oxygen masks. Does it drop from the ceiling or the side panels ? I sleep with my feet towards the nose of the aircraft and my head towards the tail. In that position, where would the O2 mask fall ?

dv8
3rd Nov 2012, 16:14
Then they will drop by your feet. There should be a placard in the bunk telling you which way to lay in the bunk (Head a/c nose and feet a/c tail)

The oxygen masks in the bunks will drop automatically in the event of a decompression.
Each mask oxygen valve is held closed by a pin inserted into the valve. Pulling on the mask withdraws the pin, causing the mask oxygen valve to open and oxygen to flow to that mask.
The Oxygen masks may be manually released by inserting a hair pin or thin rod into the hole of the oxygen compartment cover.
If a cabin decompression occurs during cruise:
• a decompression horn sounds continuously in the crew rest area
• in the door 5 upper crew rest common area, the green oxygen indicator light, located above the stair, will illuminate.
The oxygen masks located above the bunks and seats will automatically deploy when the cabin altitude is above 13,500 feet. Oxygen flow is available when the mask or yellow streamer attached to the mask is pulled.
Crew rest occupants should immediately don one of the PSU or bunk service unit oxygen masks, move to an unoccupied position, and fasten the seat/bunk lap belt.
WARNING: It is acceptable to reach over a seat/bunk occupant to obtain an open/unused oxygen mask to prevent oxygen deprivation/lightheadedness
when moving to an unoccupied position.

stilton
3rd Nov 2012, 17:39
Glad that breathing is acceptable :eek:

Philip Mew
3rd Nov 2012, 18:53
No placard in my company's B777 rest facilities saying which direction one must lie down, or where the O2 mask is. Wonder if that's specific to my airline. Will have to try the head toward the nose position ; wonder if it makes a difference in the quality of rest.

Are all B777 flight crew rest compartments the same, or are there different configurations ?

Well, at least I am lying down in a longitudinal direction. When we had A340s, the crew bunk was transversely situated. I personally found it more difficult to stay asleep in turbulence in that configuration.

nitpicker330
3rd Nov 2012, 23:55
Standard OHCR by Boeing in the 77W has your head at the back, feet front.
Oxy masks will drop very close by and don't need to be "in your face"

Lying this way has your feet lower than your head.:ok:

The telephone box is conveniently located next to the pillow. :ok:

dv8
8th Nov 2012, 19:02
You do need to be in bunk with head towards a/c nose or you will be looking at the back of the IFE Oxygen:= will drop by your feet etc
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a493/dv8photo1/IMG_4604.jpg

SpamCanDriver
8th Nov 2012, 19:29
In your config DV8 yes

Ah I just saw on ur pic it says bunk 10 so I guess this is the rear crew rest?

In our 777LR/ER's we have both the OHCR (rear) & OFCR (front)

In our OFCR crew rest the placard says to have your feet forward head at the back..