PDA

View Full Version : Floatplane at Queenstown

Results may vary
2nd Nov 2012, 05:49
I know it's oldish news now but, does anyone know the reason why the proposed float op at Queenstown didn't go ahead and if it ever may?

I personally think it would have worked well and have often wondered why it hadn't been established earlier....

RadioSaigon
2nd Nov 2012, 06:32
...have often wondered why it hadn't been established earlier

It was. As a child in the 1960's I clearly remember the C180's and Grumman Widgeons of TAT/Southern Scenic/Mt Cook being a regular and active feature of an early QN waterfront scene. When Mt Cook sold out of waterborne ops (late 70's early 80's?) Waterwings Airways of Te Anau maintained a minor level of service to QN, although that was not the primary focus of the floats. The area was increasingly serviced on wheels by a variety of outfits.

Speaking personally now, I would love to see floats working QN regularly again and did follow the few reported developments with interest. However, If I may venture an opinion, i did question the airframe selection... a Beaver & a 206? Whilst both are "suitable", proven airframes, I doubt you could find noisier airframes for the intended services and therein probably lies the crux of the matter. In NZ it seems there is an increasingly rabid, restrictive PC influence. Whilst you & I know the jetski's can be noisier and certainly more persistent, it will always be the perception of noise (particularly from a commercial operation rather than an essentially recreational activity) that draws the loudest howls of protest.

I can't help but wonder if a gas-turbine would have enjoyed wider community support?

Oakape
2nd Nov 2012, 19:42
A Quest Kodiak on floats would be a good choice. Turbine power, 10 seats & excellent performance as well. :ok:

Lineboy4life
3rd Nov 2012, 00:33
Would def be great to see the return of floats in some form to the area, alas cant see it happening in this age of resource consents/noise restrictions etc...would have to be turbine equip minimum (caravan, otter etc) which I doubt would be economically viable for a start up...

I'd say the helicopter mafia would have been down at the waterfront long ago if it was at all possible...

Results may vary
5th Nov 2012, 23:57
Turbo beaver?

c100driver
6th Nov 2012, 03:38
While I would love to see float planes operating at Queenstown one would have to question what you would actually do with one to make money?

Queenstown to Milford?
Wheeled aircraft already do that and are faster and much cheaper to operate than any float plane that I know of.
Road Transport also available, longer (all day event) but cheaper than flying.
If cost is no issue the first choice is a helicopter with a stop along the way.

Scenic flights?
The rotary guys have pretty much stitched up that side of the aviation

Other than Milford the remaining Sounds don't have any accommodation or reason to stop, unless you are hunting and staying bush style.

On Track
6th Nov 2012, 08:26
If I remember correctly, the proponent withdrew his application for resource consent some months ago.

The idea wasn't popular with some townspeople who launched a protest campaign. I don't know whether that had any bearing on the applicant's decision.

The proposal, as far as I can recall, was to have regular flights from Queenstown Bay to Glenorchy and Wanaka. I personally doubt that the operation would have been commercially viable.