PDA

View Full Version : G1 Op's info req

NuName
1st Nov 2012, 19:32
Any of you folks out there know if a G1 will operate well from unpaved strips?

sooty3694
1st Nov 2012, 19:49
G100? The re badged Astra SPX - is that what you mean?

NuName
1st Nov 2012, 19:56
No, the old turboprop beastie.

sooty3694
1st Nov 2012, 20:05
sorry, too young to know what one of those was!

Enecosse
3rd Nov 2012, 12:20
The old G159, lovely aeroplane, fraid I am old enough to remember. Your question will it operate well from unpaved strips, if its hard enough and without too many pot holes probably. Is it certified is another question, I might have an old manual in the loft but I somehow doubt it was certified for anything other than a paved surface.
The HS748 on the other hand was designed for the rough.

tommoutrie
6th Nov 2012, 11:57
very pretty plane though. Saw one (can't be many) at Biggin a couple of years ago. Am a jealous boy

Brian Abraham
7th Nov 2012, 02:12
too young to know what one of those wasAaaah, the golden age, you don't know what you missed. Only got to ride as a pax. Siiiiiggghh.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/8/0/3/1126308.jpg

500 above
7th Nov 2012, 07:21
Tom,

That would have been N748AA at Biggin. The MK Air G1 corporate hack. A mate of mine used to fly it - never a dull moment, always going tech. Pretty looking aircraft though.

Enecosse
8th Nov 2012, 08:48
I don't remember it going tech anymore than any other turbo prop. The Darts where near on bullet proof although you could fry them on start if you didn't pay attention.

We used to try and get from TOD to the threshold without touching the power levers, you could make limited power adjustments with the fuel trim switches.

It would do 290kts IAS in the descent and you could drop the air brakes (main gear) at up to 310kts. I have trawled these figures from memory so may be incorrect. The avionics where state of the art clockwork stuff which would put majority of airliners at the time in the shade.

McDoo
8th Nov 2012, 08:50
I flew them in 22/24 seat airliner configuration. With regard to unpaved strip operation, as I recall, the tyres maybe a problem. They are quite a soft compound. When landing on a wet runway they were prone to aquaplaning. If this happened a 'wedge' of water formed which would boil and melt the tread right off. Never known another aircraft to suffer from this.

Great aircraft though. Pulling the speed brake handle lowered just the main gear. Selecting gear down using EITHER of the TWO gear handles would then lower the nose gear. Very effective in a turboprop capable of 290ktas.

Likely to be very maintenance intensive these days. Very complicated series of propeller stops with eight lights on the glare shield to tell you if they were functioning. A prop runaway is a G1 pilot's worst nightmare.

Have fun with the old girl......:ok:

NuName
8th Nov 2012, 13:25
Thanks for the replies, I think its going to be a different aircraft now anyway.