PDA

View Full Version : KLM Chicago-Schipol tyre burst on landing

JAFSLF
1st Nov 2012, 09:01
Thought you chaps might like to see this photo a friend (who was on the flight) just sent me - apparently a tyre burst on landing but looks like the undercarriage damage was slightly worse than would have been expected .....

http://i.imgur.com/TibBx.jpg

NigelOnDraft
1st Nov 2012, 10:31
Yes... and (putting 2&2 together) not sure a mere burst tyre would close a runway for the next 4hrs+ ;)

Callsign Kilo
1st Nov 2012, 10:37
Defective landing gear strut or an unintended attempt to plant an aeroplane within the TDZ?

racedo
1st Nov 2012, 11:23
Snow on runway or foam ?

Avionker
1st Nov 2012, 11:57
Body gear steering not centred on touchdown causing excessive torsional loading?

MrHorgy
1st Nov 2012, 12:08
racedo, it'll be foam, there's no snow here at the moment :E

Hotel Tango
1st Nov 2012, 13:06
Defective landing gear strut or an unintended attempt to plant an aeroplane within the TDZ?

Well, by your own admission, you do come from Cloud Cuckoo Land after all.

walterthesofty
2nd Nov 2012, 22:00
Dont you just love these technical experts

Callsign Kilo
10th Nov 2012, 07:40
Had no idea this would end up in "Spectators Balcony." I would have avoided any attempt of humour had I known beforehand. "Plant" is a substitute word for hard landing. You may hear it used by those sitting in the pointy end when they wish to pour scorn on a colleague's performance during the last 50 feet. It has nothing to do with a set of shovels or embedding a 747. Every days a school day, isn't it?

Avionker
10th Nov 2012, 08:39
Well whatever it was it's managed to twist the truck on the RH body gear through about 45 degrees. That is quite an impressive feat.

Agaricus bisporus
10th Nov 2012, 10:18
As there seems to be somewhat less than 360' present on those wheels and the bogie is offset just a tad my highly technical and well informed guess is that a tyre burst has very little to do with this indeed.

d'oh!