PDA

View Full Version : 1st Class Medical

Intrigue
31st Oct 2012, 20:25
Hi guys,

I am a student pilot working towards a PPL, and I'm coming up to my 16th birthday, so apparently I need to be thinking about getting my theory exams and medicals done so I can go solo when I'm ready.

I'm also very interested in joining the RAF at some point to become a fast jet pilot, for which I would have to pass a 1st class medical exam. I've been given the option of doing this exam now as well as the normal PPL one, but I was wondering if it's worth doing?
I've been told it's valid for 5 years, but I probably won't apply for the RAF for another 6, so I'd have to take it again anyway, but is it worth seeing if I can pass it now?

Also, what exactly is involved in medical tests? I don't know of any medical conditions I have that would mean a certain fail, and I think my vision and hearing are ok, but what else do they look for? And finally, is it possible to pass aged 15?

Thanks for any answers ^^

mad_jock
31st Oct 2012, 20:44
Military medical is nothing to do with the civi.

You can hold a civi medical but fail the mil medical.

If you are thinking about going pro in civilian flying it is always better to know that you can pass it before you commit significant funds or life choices.

Pace
31st Oct 2012, 21:16
If its not going to be 6 years till you require a first class medical for now just ask your AME when you go for a second class medical whether you would likely pass a first class!
That opinion would not cost you an initial at Gatwick would in six years things could be different with you anyway !

Pace

mad_jock
31st Oct 2012, 21:21
The class one reverts to a class two anyway and they would only need to renew it when they applied for the cpl or class 2 rights lapsed.

And after getting it they would be able to renew it with any AME 1 and not have to go to Gatwick again.

Its better they get it ASAP when thinking about going pro.

RTN11
31st Oct 2012, 22:21
I'd say you're better off getting a class 1 from the onset (not 1st class, it's not a degree :}).

They check a lot of stuff, and somehow manage to make the initial last all day. You have a check up with the nurse where she weighs you and measure you, does an ECG, takes some blood and urine and any other fluids you may want to give :eek:

Then you see a doctor who makes you strip off and then he checks you physically, playing your rip cage like a xylophone and the "cough please" and all that.

Then the usual hearing tests, eyesight, colour blindness, and so on.

The RAF medical I'm sure will be more taxing still, the class 1 is for civil commercial aviation, and the two are in no way compatible or transferable. I know plenty of military guys who had to get a civvie medical, even though I'm sure their military one is far more strict and thorough.

If you have any thoughts of going commercial in the civvie world, better to get the class 1 from the word go, then you know you're safe. It is only valid for a year, but then reverts to class 2 which is all you need for private flying, and this is valid for 5 years.

Intrigue
1st Nov 2012, 17:51
Thanks guys - I actually spoke to my instructor today and he agreed with Pace. It's certainly the cheaper option! But maybe I'll do the full thing when I get my licence or renew the medical or something.

He also said it won't be long now until he sends me off! :eek:

Above The Clouds
2nd Nov 2012, 20:13
Intrigue
Thanks guys - I actually spoke to my instructor today and he agreed with Pace. It's certainly the cheaper option! But maybe I'll do the full thing when I get my licence or renew the medical or something.

Forget the cheaper option, while you are young and healthy spend the extra few pounds and have the full class one civil medical especially as you are considering a career in aviation.
The military use this principle as well, for example eye sight tests, if you go for your military medical and already wear glasses you are definitely going to fail for fast jet ops, if however you don't need glasses at the initial medical, then require them later in your fast jet training/career it's a different story, the civil medical is very similar, once you have the class one it's easier to keep it with medical issues than trying to get an initial medical with issues to start with.

UV
3rd Nov 2012, 17:28
But maybe I'll do the full thing when I get my licence or renew the medical or something.

Nope. Do it now. It will never be cheaper!

zoeimogen
5th Nov 2012, 09:15
As a serving member of the military - I'd thoroughly recommend getting the class one medical now.

Military medicals are quite different from an aviation medical, (You have to be fit to fight, not just to fly) but medical issues during application to the armed forces can be a complete pain. If you get a class one now you can at least have some confidence there are no major problems and even if something does show up, it's often a case of getting appropriate medical evidence from doctors that everything is OK. Getting that evidence now will mean you can simply give it to the RAF doctors when they ask for it without delaying things.