PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL/IR Work

JR_MAS
11th Apr 2002, 19:54
Hi

What employment options are currently available for a newly qualified FAA CPL/IR with 250TT?

Are many employers taking people with minimum hours?

Thanks

The Greaser
11th Apr 2002, 20:38
JR

Are you talking about UK or US, in the UK the FAA CPL is worth diddly squat. In the US most regional airlines and smaller charter companies generally need at least 1000-1500 hours. About the only option at the minute is to get an FAA CFI and work as an instructor in the US to build hours until the job market picks up again.

Good Luck

UKflyer
11th Apr 2002, 20:56
Hi JR,

Where did you train for your CPL/IR?....

I've looked into this a bit and i found that the most available job is flight instructing as 'the greaser' says. Other first jobs include banner towing, flying scenic tours, hauling sky divers, aerial photography and more. By far the vast majority of new pilots, however, find themselves instructing for the first year to three years of their career to gain the 1000 hrs with 200 hrs multi time before applying to the regionals.

JR_MAS
12th Apr 2002, 06:35
Hi

I know that the FAA CPL/IR is not much use in Europe - so was looking outside for work. (apart from instructing or maybe flying as a corporate pilot - but hard to get).

It is possible to apply to a US company and get a work Visa to go there, but has anyone actually done this?

I'm particularly interested in the scenic tours option to build up the hours - are there any good companies to work for in this area?

Thanks

The Greaser
12th Apr 2002, 09:31
Unless you have a green card or citizenship or a means of getting it then there is virtually no way you will get a company to apply for a visa for you in the US. If this is the case then if i were you I would spend my time saving up to do the JAR CPL/IR course.