PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Future Pilot Programme.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Roger-Wilco
30th Oct 2012, 14:09
Just thought I'd share this :suspect:....

Via the 'British Airways page' (Facebook :yuk:):

Do you dream of flying for British Airways? If you have any questions about what it takes to join our Future Pilot Programme then this is your opportunity.

On the 1st of Novemeber, Captain Robin Glover and Lindsay Craig, our Pilot Recruitment Manager, will be answering your questions about the programme live on t.w.i.t.t.e.r between 1 - 1:30 GMT

To ask your question t.w.e.e.t us @british_airways with #BApilot on Thursday the 1st of November.

Would such a publicity-generating action direct from British Airways suggest that a second run of the programme is on the horizon? :ok: I for one, am hoping so...;)

EZY_FR
30th Oct 2012, 15:07
I would think so, CTC said BA plan to restart FPP before the end of the year. Either way, I will be applying.

FANS
30th Oct 2012, 15:10
An excellent scheme for what is still one of the world's best pilot employers, and it can fast forward you career by 20 years for the successful few.

Enji
30th Oct 2012, 15:11
Probably a long shot - but does anyone know roughly, how many total applicants vs successful applicants there was last time around?

EZY_FR
30th Oct 2012, 15:12
Apparently there were 95 successful candidates and more than 1000 applied on the first day...

Joe86
30th Oct 2012, 16:14
Think I may also apply for this one (if run again), good on BA :).:D

Libertine Winno
30th Oct 2012, 16:15
6,500 applications in total (though probably half of which never stood a genuine chance)

The press releases at the time said that, as a result, only around the top 3% were successful

Enji
30th Oct 2012, 16:40
Thanks for the replies :ok:

3% is tough going, though not unexpected.

Well done to all who were successful.

dlcmdrx
30th Oct 2012, 17:16
What where the requirements last time around??

Age and everything

Do they accepted other nationalities??

Maverick83
30th Oct 2012, 23:56
What where the requirements last time around??

Age and everything

Do they accepted other nationalities?? Let me google that for you (http://bit.ly/YkNDww)

Libertine Winno
31st Oct 2012, 09:05
Yes they do (did?) accept international applications, subject to the appropriate level of English.

Not sure what the international qualification requirements are though, but for UK applicants it was 3 x A-Levels @ BBC, 5 x GCSE passes incl Maths & Engish @ B, or a 2:1 degree.

But that was last time around...no idea what it will be this time!

MrsPilot88
31st Oct 2012, 13:22
Having received 6,500 applications last time, I can not imagine the entry requirements will be any lower than last time. Possibly make the requirements higher to help cut down on applications?

Although I expect that they will keep them the same to keep them fair - I would be annoyed if someone with A level BBC got onto the scheme last year, and then someone with the same grades couldn't even interview this year.

mad_jock
31st Oct 2012, 13:38
They are going to have a spelling test on this intake.

Mr Boombastick
31st Oct 2012, 14:00
Rooles you out then MJ

Charliedear
31st Oct 2012, 14:21
What flight qualifications do you need? Or is it a full scholarship?

Libertine Winno
31st Oct 2012, 15:51
No flying experience required whatsoever, the course is the usual fully integrated courses run by OAA, CTC or FTE Jerez (though, again, this is what it was last time, no indication definitively on which flight school until it opens again).

Having said that, it would be interesting to see how people justified an interest in a career in aviation and flying at interview if they didn't have even a few flying hours under their belt...

FlyerJoe
31st Oct 2012, 16:08
Am I right in saying that if the course opened this year that you would had to have been at least 18 in February of this year to apply?

BerksFlyer
31st Oct 2012, 18:35
Not sure what the international qualification requirements are though, but for UK applicants it was 3 x A-Levels @ BBC, 5 x GCSE passes incl Maths & Engish @ B, or a 2:1 degree.

Although I expect that they will keep them the same to keep them fair - I would be annoyed if someone with A level BBC got onto the scheme last year, and then someone with the same grades couldn't even interview this year.

Don't get hung up on the minimums. I can guarantee you that last year's intake was incredibly strong and I would be very surprised if anybody who was flirting with the minimums got very far.

Remember, this is an incredibly competitive program and you must accept that for every person who has just met the minimum requirements and can demonstrate motivation, there will be someone else who has far exceeded the minimum requirements and can do the same.

Libertine Winno
31st Oct 2012, 19:08
@ Berksflyer

In a normal recruitment process your argument would stand fair.

However, remember that BA are an airline and therefore not looking for uber qualified nerds, but future captains. Does a first or straight A's a good captain make? I would personally argue not, far more weight will be placed on the aptitude tests and a person's experience, otherwise the minimum requirements would be far more stringent in the first place to save them wasting time.

Only my opinion of course, which has no bearing on the BA recruiters!

EZY_FR
31st Oct 2012, 20:13
I wouldn't get too hung up over the educational requirements, they want to see that you can prove your motivation by demonstrating the traits they look for by having some life experiences. Yes, aim for good grades but they aren't looking for "overqualified nerds", as Libertine Winno put it. ;)

Chief Willy
31st Oct 2012, 21:00
Having strong academics will certainly not hinder though, generally speaking the standard was high enough last year for BA to be very selective. Academics will have been part of this, but as the above posters say, perhaps not the most crucial aspect of their selection criteria. I would have thought that evidence of leadership and teamwork qualities are equally if not more important. Last year's batch was made up of a significant number of career changers, including the RAF guys, who perhaps had ample examples of the skills that BA look for.

Best of luck to all applicants.

Stocious
31st Oct 2012, 22:16
There were a number of successful guys last year who had bare minimum academic grades. From what I recall, they were verified on the assessment days then never mentioned again!

I've heard this year that they don't plan on taking on anywhere near the same amount as last year though, so it makes it all the more competitive.

Good luck!

Libertine Winno
31st Oct 2012, 23:01
@17PA

Good job in getting that far!

But yeah BA can be highly selective, I think most young aspiring pilots want to fly for BA so they can pick and choose who they want.

I suppose the saving grace for everyone else is that this year there won't be a whole load of newly-redundant ex-RAF trainees!

captain_spud
1st Nov 2012, 08:24
Got the email off BA's recruitment website this morning, looks like a closing date of the 13th December

Libertine Winno
1st Nov 2012, 08:36
Would make sense about less numbers, given the buyout of bmi. Most of those guys were A320 rated I seem to recall, so in theory at least BA would require less short haul pilots in the short term (which the cadets would become).

Will be interesting to see how the programme continues in the future. When it was launched last year it was designed to recruit around 400 cadets over the next 4 years...

Stocious
1st Nov 2012, 10:05
From the BA FPP website...

"We will be opening the website for applications on Monday 19th November 2012. We will close the website for applications on Thursday 13th December 2012, unless we receive an overwhelming number of applications in which case we reserve the right to close the application window early. If we have to do this, however, we will make it clear on this page that we are closing the application window early and will email everyone who has started an application to give them 48 hours’ notice of the window closing"

EZY_FR
1st Nov 2012, 11:35
The educational requirements seems to have changed:

"You will need:

5 GCSEs at Grade C or above, including English Language, Mathematics and a Science (single or double award), excluding General Studies.
PLUS

either 3 A-Levels at Grades BBC or above, excluding General Studies.
or an Honours Degree at 2:2 (or higher) or a pass (or above) in a higher degree such as MSc, MA, MPhil, DPhil, PhD, MBA."

This should be good news for many applicants.

bellamafia
1st Nov 2012, 12:09
I too have just read the requirements and wanted to double check i wasn't seeing things!

The degree specifications have been lowered from a 2:1 to a 2:2.

Did anyone apply last year, got through to the assessment stages but sadly didn't get beyond this stage? (like myself).

Will you be reapplying again? id like to hear particularly from any females too but please, do reply if you are a male.

Thanks

16mklong
1st Nov 2012, 12:23
Hi there,

I applied Last year and went down to the last 300 At heathrow only to be cut at that point. I dont understand why they have lowered the entry requirements.

Are you going to re-apply?

Libertine Winno
1st Nov 2012, 12:28
@16mklong

As discussed above, I don't think they place too much on the academic requirements but far more on your personal skills, experience and the aptitude tests. They are looking for future captains after all, not Astrophysicists or Neurosurgeons, so why cut off lots of potential candidates who don't have a qualification that they aren't actually that bothered about?!

Ianp83
1st Nov 2012, 13:11
Is there any particular advantage to 1 of the fto's vs the others save personal preference of the locations. For instance if they all get allocated 1/3 of the spaces might one be a less popular option?

Also does anyone currently on this program know if there are facilities for married couples to live together or do you need to be on campus?

BerksFlyer
1st Nov 2012, 13:18
Most jobs aren't looking for geniuses, but most jobs of comparable responsibility (ie. graduate jobs) ask for a 2:1 plus 300+ UCAS points as a minimum. I think BA are selling themselves short in lowering the requirements. They would have no shortage of quality applicants asking for the same as most graduate jobs.

EZY_FR
1st Nov 2012, 13:23
For anyone who is considering reapplying this year:

Will re-applicants be welcomed to the next FPP opening?

Absolutely. This is a very competitive scheme and we'd welcome applications from anyone who applied last year.
This was asked by someone using the live twitter, in case there is anyone not in the know.

Roger-Wilco
1st Nov 2012, 13:35
I think there is a lot of truth in the comments referring to the academic requirements. My interpretation is that the emphasis is only to aid as an initial filter on applications.

If they placed a lot of emphasis on having straight A's or even a degree and they held a lot of weight at the advanced stages of selection; one would think they would specify subjects too. A 1st in Media Studies is not comparable to a 1st in a core dicpline such as Mathematics, Physics or Engineering (that's another debate not approriate here!).

Either way, due to the nature of this scheme, most, if not all, will have a strong academic ability. The selections days certainly put you in your place; think little fish, big pond.

I hope talkpedlar joins this thread in the future, he certainly provided a lot of balanced, useful tips and opinions last year.

turbine100
1st Nov 2012, 13:40
What happened to those in the BA hold pool currently waiting outside of this scheme?

Also, shame they are not doing any schemes who already have the license and lack the experience

Libertine Winno
1st Nov 2012, 13:47
BA do a separate graduate scheme for roles such as engineering, procurement, finance etc and the requirements for those are very much in line with other graduate schemes (2:1 in a relevant degree, 280+ UCAS points etc)

I agree that if they placed more weight on the academic stuff then they would specify degree or A level subjects, but seeing as they don't it can only be assumed that they use these as a general indication of academic ability rather than an essential requirement

jez d
1st Nov 2012, 18:07
Anyone with spare time available this Saturday (3 Nov) might like to visit the Professional Flight Training Show at the Sofitel, Heathrow T5. There will be a presentation by BA on the Future Pilot Programme: 2012 LONDON PROFESSIONAL FLIGHT TRAINING EXHIBITION (http://exhibitions.flyer.co.uk/london_03_nov_2012.htm)

Stocious
1st Nov 2012, 19:11
Most jobs aren't looking for geniuses, but most jobs of comparable responsibility (ie. graduate jobs) ask for a 2:1 plus 300+ UCAS points as a minimum. I think BA are selling themselves short in lowering the requirements. They would have no shortage of quality applicants asking for the same as most graduate jobs.

This isn't a graduate job though.

Granted most successful applicants did have a degree of some sort, but there are a good number of others who only had bare minimum A-levels or equivalent. Much more emphasis is placed on evidencing non-technical skills that could have been acquired through a number of avenues, not necessarily University related.

Air Brake
1st Nov 2012, 19:27
Also, shame they are not doing any schemes who already have the license and lack the experience

Not at all, people who have a CPL IR and no job were naive for parting with 100K without understanding the market.

This gives those who never normally have the chance of become a Pilot a chance to do it, with a loan tied to their income. It hopefully will stop airlines being a bit of a middle class Lads club for those that can afford it.

The only people who lose out on this are those who have no flying ability but have the cash to keep throwing at the examiner until they get lucky and pass their CPL, IR.

This is a great way to get some new talent into BA!

Good luck to all!

Callsign Kilo
1st Nov 2012, 20:46
What happened to those in the BA hold pool currently waiting outside of this scheme?

They were told that there was no plan to recruit them in 2013 and that positions would be prioritised to the FPP cadets. It is extremely unlikely that any positions will be generated for the remaining DEPs assessed by BA.

Mike91
2nd Nov 2012, 00:31
Does anyone have much experience at any of these FTOs? I've heard a few pros and cons only of CTC?

scottygar
2nd Nov 2012, 06:56
We will be opening the website for applications on Monday 19th November 2012. We will close the website for applications on Thursday 13th December 2012, unless we receive an overwhelming number of applications in which case we reserve the right to close the application window early. If we have to do this, however, we will make it clear on this page that we are closing the application window early and will email everyone who has started an application to give them 48 hours’ notice of the window closing

17PA
2nd Nov 2012, 07:25
The vast majority of this years FPP cadets are going through OAA, take from that what you will, I really dont think it makes much difference whichever one you go for...

Magnus456
2nd Nov 2012, 08:07
17PA - The vast majority of cadets are going through Oxford this year.

I read on the Jerez website yesterday that all three schools are allocated an equal share of the cadets. Is this something new to this years intake ?

Slavick
2nd Nov 2012, 10:04
Can somebody who has applied in the past, successful or not, give us some tips on what the assessments are like? I know there will be an aptitude test, and I don't think you can get any sort of training on that, which is a shame.
But what a bout 2 lots of interviews? What do they ask? What is it that they look for in your interview?
Thanks

Nathan747
2nd Nov 2012, 12:34
Greetings, re. B.A. - F.P.P. I read a Class 1 Medical is required for application. I would value any information on this matter; is there a minimum age for a Class 1 Medical Certificate.
My reason for asking; Currently 17 years of age, and am the proud holder of my PPL, achieved 1 day after my 17th Birthday. Still at the beginning of the runway of my career, therefore, valuing any advice.

Fostex
2nd Nov 2012, 13:29
You need to be able to satisfy the requirements of a Class 1 medical to apply but not necessarily hold one. Prior to you signing any offer in the final stages you will undoubtedly need the paper certificate however.

You hold a Class 2 so contact your AME, they will have your details from your initial exam and they should be able to advise you on whether you will have problems obtaining a Class 1.

deltahotel
2nd Nov 2012, 14:22
Just do the Class 1. If you do progress to professional aviation you'll need it, if there's something wrong and you can't get it you'll save yourself and the recruiters loads of work and in answer to one of the first interview questions "what have you done to further your interest in a career in aviation?" you'll have a pretty good starting answer.

Bearcat F8F
2nd Nov 2012, 18:04
Nathan, have a look on the BA FPP website. It says that applicants must be 18-55. Perhaps if your birthday is soon, you might be able to get away with applying at 17. Not sure.

funkyt111
2nd Nov 2012, 21:01
Hey guys. I will be applying for the BA FPP. I have one concern/query. In 2006, I was treated for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and completed treatment in 2009. I have only recently been eligible for a CAA Class 1 as I've had to wait 3 years post treatment. BA do there own health check. Should I be concerned about this?

I was hoping that such a life changing dramatic and emotional experience might work in my favor. I know BA look for people with life experience and for me there is no bigger experience than this. However, they may look at it as a potential problem in the future (although I am completely healthy now and fitter than most).

Any help would be much appreciated.

nr0345
3rd Nov 2012, 17:21
I can't see where in the assessment process it would cause a problem (given you have a class 1) but there is the post-assessment BA medical. Without being a BA Doctor I think it's hard to say what view they'd take of your medical history. IMHO, I would say go for it but if you get accepted, save popping the Champagne until you've cleared the BAHS medical. And be prepared for some hefty exceptions on your loss of medical insurance!

turbine100
3rd Nov 2012, 18:48
Not at all, people who have a CPL IR and no job were naive for parting with 100K without understanding the market.Air Brake, totally agree not everyone has 100K. Those that funded themselves could not always borrow 100K for a full time course or may have had personal circumstances. The market does change, some people do understand and often reduce their risk as much as possible or sometimes the market changes during training for the worst.

I personally fly with many people that are not from a middle class background and have come from all walks of life, who did not have a 100K or similar, but had determination. Often those self fund the training to reduce risk and pay for the training as much as as possible without getting large loans or debts, whilst working full time.

BA are advertising this when they have many people with experience from other operators they interviewed last year in a hold pool they are now ditching who went through selection.

Its possible someone could do this scheme, get to the end or mid training and still get ditched like those in the hold pool at the moment or worse, be left with debts to pay back in some form or another.

Depone
3rd Nov 2012, 19:09
I think those with poor academic results are kidding themselves if they think aptitude or attitude is more important.

Good results at school or uni implies intelligence, maturity and a willingness to work hard. Why wouldn't BA look to recruit that sort of person (regardless of background)? The company may have dispensed with applicants with good academic backgrounds who also had experience on jets, so who knows why they now feel untried cadets is the way forward...

I suspect the majority of the successful candidates will have strong school and/or University results. And most will be middle class because most Nigels have that kind of a background. There will be exceptional candidates without great academical results who will get through.

That may be you.

Contact Approach
3rd Nov 2012, 19:32
If you weren't successful last time, can you still apply this time?

EZY_FR
3rd Nov 2012, 20:42
Contact Approach

Yes will be able to reapply, according to the BA q&a session.

Contact Approach
3rd Nov 2012, 23:41
Thanks; and does anyone know who assess the initial applications? Is it BA or the selected FTO?

EZY_FR
4th Nov 2012, 00:08
BA screens the application forms.

bagurxvi
4th Nov 2012, 09:41
Indeed those with poor academic result would waste their time trying into this kind of selection process.

They normally select just people with a graduation and mainly from engineering

Contact Approach
4th Nov 2012, 10:42
bagurxvi,

You're absolutely wrong. Did you not attend the BA seminar yesterday?

EZY_FR
4th Nov 2012, 15:27
Contact Approach

I didn't attend the seminar yesterday, what did they say? There were a fair few who had only just left school that got a place in the programme.

Contact Approach
4th Nov 2012, 15:52
There are 72 places this year; they are looking for well rounded individuals who demonstrate a passion for aviation, customer service and suitable aptitude.
Spoke with a few who were taken on last year who only had the bare minimum academics.
Those who qualify have a chance. It's the qualities, aptitude and motives that decide after that - not academics.

EZY_FR
4th Nov 2012, 15:57
So it is likely to be even more competitive this time.

Contact Approach
4th Nov 2012, 16:06
If you don't try, you won't succeed. There's 72 places, that's far more than any other airline scheme offers.

EZY_FR
4th Nov 2012, 16:25
Oh I will be approaching this scheme with absolute determination.

EZY_FR
4th Nov 2012, 16:29
1ejc
Unfortunately I have no idea when they are running their courses. I am however going to the CTC Open Day next weekend so I'll be sure to ask then!

bellamafia
4th Nov 2012, 18:07
I can second that.

I am a graduate and the only subject close to a science that i did was AS Psychology and i got quite far in the process. The majority of my education was in the Arts and my working career to date in fashion business.

I very much disagree that BA are looking for just engineering based candidates.

GS-Alpha
5th Nov 2012, 05:21
G-RICH

Why did IAG want the BMI slots? Expansion.
What do you need to expand? More pilots.
How long does it take to recruit and train pilots? About a year and a half.
You've probably predicted the entry into BA timescales about right.

What's so puzzling?

Libertine Winno
5th Nov 2012, 08:12
At the talk at Flyer show on Saturday BA were very clear about how far ahead they have to plan for pilot recruitment; the FPP candidates coming from this year's recruitment drive won't start at their chosen FTO until autumn 2013, with integration into the BA staff due 2 years later after flying training, type rating and line training is completed. Not sure where the confusion comes from?!

FANS
5th Nov 2012, 08:44
Indeed those with poor academic result would waste their time trying into this kind of selection process.

They normally select just people with a graduation and mainly from engineering

Rather than worry about whether BA prefer people of an engineering based degree or not, young or old etc. etc., I strongly suggest that if you meet the minimum standards and really want to do this, you apply and let the recruitment team worry about their minimum standards.

I thought the FPP thing got canned in the wake of the BMI takeover ?

It is now officially known that the FPP scheme will open up. Again, let BA worry about their recruitment needs post BMI. TUPE is not applicable to removing people for underperformance, if that is what you are getting at.

Be yourself, invest a 100% into the process but unfortunately accept that many capable candidates will not get through due to the numbers.

Libertine Winno
5th Nov 2012, 09:24
@ FANS

Probably the best advice I've seen on here!

If you want it, go for it and do everything you can to be your best. If you get selected, it's just the start of a hard but rewarding path. If you don't, come back and try again next year an even more well rounded, better prepared candidate!

exbanker
5th Nov 2012, 13:42
Does anyone know the average age of the BA FPP applicants and the average of the successful applicants?

206Fan
5th Nov 2012, 15:26
Royal Aeronautical Society | Event | Careers Fair 2012 (http://aerosociety.com/Events/Event-List/661/Careers-Fair-2012)

bex88
5th Nov 2012, 17:24
G-RICH, I think you best go do some study on aviation and employment law. Maybe a tiny understanding of the bmi takeover would have helped you produce a sensible comment. Underperformance is not tolerated during the conversion course but given the quality and respect of bmi's training throughout the industry it would be naive to think many would not make the grade.

bellamafia
5th Nov 2012, 19:42
Well that was BA's plan all along wasn't it?

Like they did with the cabin crew, bringing in the mixed fleet, they are doing the same with the pilots. Wanting a cheaper breed and putting them on a different pay scale to the one that the 'older' pilots are on. More pay scales means longer to reach the top pay point. Now that many pilots are working beyond 55, and many at a high, if not the top, pay point, its costing BA a fortune. Plus, i dont think the final salary pension scheme is on offer any longer as it was for many pilots.

The way of times.

BerksFlyer
5th Nov 2012, 20:32
Funny how BA runs a scheme to take-on low-hours pilots, trained the same way as the like of EZY/FR guys - and it gets praise. Also interesting that BAs cadet pay scale is significantly reduced compared to direct-entry pay scale - but wait, they've axed the hold pool of experienced pilots and won't open that door again for a while.

BA receives praise because it offers a permanent employment contract upon completion of training. Ryanair and easyJet do nothing of the sort and don't get involved in pre-selecting cadets. Where's your comparison?

Stocious
5th Nov 2012, 23:48
Funny how BA runs a scheme to take-on low-hours pilots, trained the same way as the like of EZY/FR guys - and it gets praise. Also interesting that BAs cadet pay scale is significantly reduced compared to direct-entry pay scale - but wait, they've axed the hold pool of experienced pilots and won't open that door again for a while.

So BA, the saviour of young pilot hopefuls, at the expense of experienced professionals who've worked their lives to gain a place with the airline - but it saves them a few £££ over the years. Way to positively spin a recruitment drive aimed at reducing costs.

Actually the initial FPP remuneration package, including salary, bond repayment and flying pay is probably in the region of at least £40k a year, and rises by a good amount each year on a permanent contract. This is much more favourable than other cadet schemes out there, and eventually catches up with DEP scale.

I hardly think these guys can be compared with the demise of DEP recruitment, seeing as they aren't expected to be anywhere near line flying before very late 2013 or 2014 at the earliest and will be restricted to fleet allocation, so perhaps the DEP hold in recent times has been down to other factors?

There's a very good chance that these FPP guys and girls have also 'worked their lives to get into the airline' as well, just perhaps in a different manner than you mean.

For whoever asked about ages, I believe the average age of last years batch is about mid-late 20's, but there's a fairly large range between min and max.

Pass your message
6th Nov 2012, 08:00
Stocious, you seem to be in the know, do you know the min and max age range last year?

FANS
6th Nov 2012, 10:27
Funny how BA runs a scheme to take-on low-hours pilots, trained the same way as the like of EZY/FR guys

I didn't realise that EZY/FR now offered:
- Full Permanent UK contracts
- Tax efficient repayment of the finance, which saves thousands
- Guarantor for the finance
- No charge for TR
- Guaranteed UK bases
- Normal PAYE monthly salaried income
- Pensions
- Sick pay/uniforms etc etc
- clear seniority system & career progression
- Proper staff travel
- An interview and day with BA before spending a penny on training (I've heard EYZ don't even interview their cadets)

So BA, the saviour of young pilot hopefuls, at the expense of experienced professionals who've worked their lives to gain a place with the airline

When you compare the list above to that offered by other airlines and the cost of operating into LHR, you must understand that they need to try and offer some savings.

I have no doubt that BA could charge £50k for a TR and RYR style contract, and have more applicants than there are current FOs.

BA are perfectly entitled to have a mix of DEP and cadets and have done so for decades. I find it unbelievable that in the current market BA offers such a scheme and still gets criticism.

Paperplanes89
6th Nov 2012, 10:54
Spot on FANS.

airplace_called_home
6th Nov 2012, 18:25
Does anybody know if the EASA class 1 medical certificate is required at the first selection process? if not, at which stage?

thanks!

Contact Approach
6th Nov 2012, 21:08
Not required. Have you read the requirements?

airplace_called_home
6th Nov 2012, 22:21
haha thanks! i just saw it carified in the FAQs.

EZY_FR
6th Nov 2012, 22:25
airplace_called_home

If you read the FAQs on the FPP website, you will find that the Class 1 Medical isn't required until selection has been carried out.

airplace_called_home
6th Nov 2012, 22:37
Thanks! I guess I was nervous about not having last minute surprises.
I´m applying but seems like it´s not going to be easy though.

I consider that I should have plan B. but not many other CADET programs taking place soon ahead, does anybody knows about future cadet programs..Easyjet, Monarch, anything for europeans?

Or should I go on my own to South Africa without the cadet UMBRELLA?, good value, heard many positive comments on some schools there like Progress Flight Academy..

:rolleyes:

sudden twang
7th Nov 2012, 00:09
Bellamafia,
Mixed fleet and FPP are two very different things. FPP graduates will be on the same contract as all other BA pilots. Same paypoint system but yes longer to reach the top. Same bidline same DC pension as recent joiners. If BA hadn't closed the DB scheme to new entrants then I doubt BA would be the success that it is. No BA pilot wants new entrants to be on inferior Ts and Cs but we have to negotiate with the company and not fight battles that we won't win. A look at SEPLAs predicament says it all.
The pay differentials between a pilot and a cc member on an EF or WW contract have reduced we took a paycut they didnt but the cost is that there is no promotion and all recruitment is to mixed fleet .
I applaud BAs FPP it allows anyone the opportunity to join BA but BA have to sign contracts with the FTOs and feel responsible to give jobs to the graduates from the courses. If the need for recruitment slows as the bmi merger shows, the easiest tap to turn off is the DEP selection process but if the tap suddenly needs turning on again those swimming in the pool will be in a BA uniform pretty quickly.

Stocious
7th Nov 2012, 01:03
Stocious, you seem to be in the know, do you know the min and max age range last year?

Min - 18
Max - maybe late 30's? Unsure exactly as not that 'in the know'

17PA
7th Nov 2012, 06:20
Min 17 (18 at the time he started)
Max that I know of was mid 40's

no sponsor
7th Nov 2012, 07:15
Whenever a new batch of FPP cadets start, their group picture is published in our Flight Ops weekly roundup. There were definitely more 'mature' candidates as well as younger men and women. BA is obsessed about being fair and open to anyone who applies. If you make the grade, answer the questions in the way BA wants you to, and meet the minimum criteria, you are in with the same chance as anyone.

mad_jock
7th Nov 2012, 11:06
Nae gingers to be seen.

And they don't seem to have a problem with baldys.

Wirbelsturm
7th Nov 2012, 11:30
Nae gingers to be seen.

That's because, if Alex Salmon gets his way, yae'll all be damn foreigners and commuters!!!! Not even in the EU by dammit! :}:E

They are all clones I tell you!

mad_jock
7th Nov 2012, 11:47
We are just humouring that divet just now.

Aye clones with huge baldy nappers.

BAe 146-100
7th Nov 2012, 12:14
This is a great programme no doubt, if you are lucky enough to be ''future captain'' material like BA see it as. However that percentage is very small, at least with Ryanair your on a level playing field as long as you have passed everything first time, and if you do modular+ type rating it is still a lot cheaper than this programme (and quicker on the line). Also yes with BA you will have a UK base but in London, therefore extortionate rent/accommodation costs if you have to relocate. Just something to think about...

BerksFlyer
7th Nov 2012, 12:57
I would disagree. Assuming one doesn't have the £84k for the FPP, they would be taking a loan and probably paying back around £120k. BA return the £84k over your employment, so you would end up footing the bill for the interest at around £40k. A Ryanair type-rating is E30k. Add that to a modular CPL/IR and you would have to do very well to beat the FPP cost - and this is in its most expensive case where one requires a loan for the full cost of the course. Remove the need of a loan for the full amount and it becomes even more cost effective. Your option also assumes that one would get a job with Ryanair having already committed to the license cost. It isn't that easy when there are thousands queuing up for the dubious pleasure of flying for Ryanair.

Then you consider the long-term career prospects at Ryanair vs BA, the security of having an actual employment contract + benefits, the fact you have an employer who isn't actively trying to screw you over every 5 minutes and it becomes a no contest.

funkyt111
7th Nov 2012, 13:00
I a firmly believe that whoever is right for job should get the job. It shouldn't matter what colour you are, what sex you are or whether your gay or straight. However I have to say that judging by the lack of females on the OAA course and lack of ethnicity, I find this somewhat concerning and hope its purely by chance.

Contact Approach
7th Nov 2012, 13:10
I met a female currently on the FPP during the Flyer event at Heathrow; she's gone through CTC.

FANS
7th Nov 2012, 13:56
at least with Ryanair

This scheme and RYR's are beyond comparison. I can't understand why people are trying to pick holes in what is an outstanding opportunity by today's low standards.

However I have to say that judging by the lack of females on the OAA course and lack of ethnicity, I find this somewhat concerning and hope its purely by chance.

I would say that BA know only too well the importance of minorities. From memory, a decade + ago they were going to advertise in minority type magazines to ensure they got a broad cross section applying.

The wider issue then was the somewhat disproportionate number of BA pilots' kids getting through, but who can blame them!

funkyt111
7th Nov 2012, 15:05
Really?? BA's pilots children being overly accepted? Hmmmmm.
I was just shocked to not find one Black, Asian, Hispanic or female cadet at OAA.

BerksFlyer
7th Nov 2012, 15:17
That picture has 28 people in. That is far from everyone who is training through Oxford for the FPP. Infact, there is an FPP course from last year's batch yet to begin at OAA.

funkyt111
7th Nov 2012, 15:22
Good good :)

Wirbelsturm
7th Nov 2012, 15:23
shocked

Why? Perhaps they didn't apply for that particular course or they didn't make the grade for no other reason that the other candidates, irrespective of gender, race creed or colour, were better than they were.

BA employ based upon the best person for the job after the application of a stringent testing process that has no bearing on race, gender, colour, ethnic background or nationality.

If you pass, you're in.

I don't see why it is 'shocking' in any way, the process is open and fair to all.

Bl**dy Daily Mail readers. :*

FANS
7th Nov 2012, 15:43
I'm starting to understand why some airlines just outsource all their recruitment to CTC et al now...

funkyt111
7th Nov 2012, 16:29
Wirbelsturm. You are right. I was just speculating and I got the answers I hoped for :)

time2leave
7th Nov 2012, 16:37
So BA open FPP. That makes me wonder if they really value their people. Applied 2008 accepted sim check passed no offer flushed out of hold pool. Applied again passed sim check no offer flushed out of hold pool.

They must really like the whole recruitment process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wirbelsturm
7th Nov 2012, 17:07
time2leave

It's a real kick in the nuts I agree. The problem comes from BA's 'ivory tower' mentality where the funding goes on for a long term plan like FPP but the DEP process can be turned on or off at the whim of a HR manager irrespective of the chaos and strain it places on those in the pool.

I've been over this with some of my colleagues in the process and, on a personal level, they agree that it is ludicrous. Unfortunately the decisions are made by someone with far higher pay grades than us line swines sorry to say.

FWIW I'm 100% in agreement with you, occasionally the DEP system stinks.

sudden twang
7th Nov 2012, 20:42
Funkyt111,
The people you think are missing are probably at uni doing medicine.

artlite
8th Nov 2012, 11:25
Is this one also for 84k ? I can't find information on that on the website. Also, I'd like to ask how is it looking for non-UK residents from EU. Can you also apply and was anyone successful from outside UK last time?

IAmNotWhoISeem
8th Nov 2012, 22:36
Ummmm .............. indeed. 84K is again the starting cost before all the other costs are factored in, and I imagine the starting salary will be a pittance again, but then you are getting into BA and none of Britain's other airlines compare (even if just a decade or so ago the training would have been free).

As for the interviews, there were many women and continental Europeans at last year's aptitude test and team game days, though I didn't see any ethnic minorities. I'm astonished to notice however that not a single one of the faces from my team game day is amongst the photo linked on page 5. I was sure at least one or two of the redundant RAF candidates were guaranteed a slot. Guess we were a wash-out bunch unless there are some in the cadet groups yet to start. Can't say I recognise any aptitude day faces either, but we brushed past a group before us and a group after us on my day, so out of so many faces at least one of them must have been spending their £200 test fee fruitfully.

Can't confirm or deny that Oxford are training more than their fair share (I'm not there after all). Would suggest though that their popularity is down to the slightly misleading promise to return 60K if you fail to gain a licence. The other schools only return 40K, but I seriously doubt that anyone who gets through the BA selection process would end up triggering the 60K payback.

Good luck to those I'm competing with this year, but don't expect much accuracy or genuine help from this blog. With 3000 applicants whittled down to just 96 last year, and the number of spaces and the academic requirements having been reduced for this year's applicants, those of us in the know need to maintain whatever slender advantages we have.

StarChaser
9th Nov 2012, 00:21
Straight off the BA FPP site:

Kathryn B777 SFO: "I joined British Airways seven years ago from Ryanair where I flew the B737-200 for three years based in Dublin. I came to British Airways with just over 2500 flying hours so was sent directly to longhaul and the B777 fleet. Not only was I very excited about the prospect of longhaul flying but it also gave me the opportunity to fly with my father who is a British Airways Captain on the B777 fleet.

Is it normal to be sent straight to longhaul after 2500 hours on B737?

17PA
9th Nov 2012, 06:09
2005...All you need to know.

jayjayel
9th Nov 2012, 08:17
Realistically what chance does someone with little flying experience and no PPL have of passing BA's assessments and getting a place on one of the courses?

jonuff
9th Nov 2012, 09:04
Does anyone actually know what the process is once FPP candidates graduate from their FTO? Is there a job interview with BA or do they assume that is already done in the initialy recruitment stage? What happens if there are not enough jobs for everyone/ for anyone? Presumably you could then apply to other airlines but they would not pay your bond back. Or would BA put you in some kind of job holding pool until jobs become available.
I am very excited by the prospect of the scheme but I just can't get my head around the risk involved if jobs aren't available and what the consequences may be when you need to carry on paying the interest back on the loan for the bond and are potentially left jobless.

Any thoughts appreciated.

no sponsor
9th Nov 2012, 12:56
BAs requirement for LH is 2000+ hrs and a full ATPL. You don't need to have flown a jet prior to going LH either, as several before have only been on Turbo-props.

The new-starter FPP pictures taken for our flight ops newsletters show quite a diverse bunch of people.

erika7189
9th Nov 2012, 13:37
the BA FPP mentions that you need to have a degree or 3 A Levels.....is this true??

Pielou
10th Nov 2012, 08:44
Does anyone know when interviews will take place ?

In two months, three months or maybe more ? (Regarding to last selection)

Thank you in advance for any replies :ok:

no sponsor
10th Nov 2012, 14:09
The final selection board is run by BA at Cranebank, and if you pass that, there are no more selection interviews to go through. Of course, you still have to pass the course.

If there are suitable flying jobs available (i.e. short haul places), then FPP graduates would get those. However, at the moment BA has a surplus of pilots, due to the BMI merger. Flight operations cannot hire anyone into BA whilst there is a surplus of pilots. This includes FPP cadets. I've heard this surplus will run until the end of 2013. Barring a further world crisis, significant oil price rise, world calamity, 911-type event, then BA should hire again in 2014.

In the early 1990s, during Gulf War 1, no cadets were taken on in pilot positions for a while. Some were offered cabin crew (which at the time paid more than first year cadet take home pay), others went elsewhere to fly. When jobs became available, many of those cadets came back to fly for BA. The difference then was the cadet got the training for free.

There is simply no way of knowing that BA will be able to offer, as 24 months is a long time in aviation. However, compulsory retirements will start happening again in 2016.

flying free.LEVC
10th Nov 2012, 14:20
Should we start reviewing our maths notes from high school and practice the compass tests?:ouch:

17PA
10th Nov 2012, 17:27
Just as good a chance as someone with a ppl and many hours experience, that's the honest truth. (in reply to the person asking about no experience)

Stuart Sutcliffe
10th Nov 2012, 19:05
the BA FPP mentions that you need to have a degree or 3 A Levels.....is this true??erika7189, if by "BA FPP" you mean this (http://www.bafuturepilot.com/about-you/)website, and I'm sure you do, then yes, it's true! Does that surprise you? Were you expecting BA to spin a whimsical fairy tale on their recruiting website, just for a laugh?

The educational requirements are clearly stated:

You will need:

5 GCSEs at Grade C or above, including English Language, Mathematics and a Science (single or double award), excluding General Studies.

PLUS

or an Honours Degree at 2:2 (or higher) or a pass (or above) in a higher degree such as MSc, MA, MPhil, DPhil, PhD, MBA.All clear?

FrankMatt
12th Nov 2012, 11:05
I have just started a PhD in aerospace engineering. I would leave this at the drop of the hat if I am successful with BA. Do people think I should include this on the application? by the time I come to fill in the application I will have been doing my PhD for a 1.5 months. I also have a BEng and MSc so I more than meet the educational requirements.

I firstly don't want BA to think that I am "overqualified" for the role. Obviously having an understanding of the physics of an aircraft is of benefit, but what I am doing goes far above and beyond what a pilot might come across on a daily basis. There is also the danger that they also might think that I'll be a bit of a "know-it-all". I am also by no mean's a "nerd", a phrase which was coined earlier in this thread.

FYI these prejudice's that I have noted above may be completely unfounded, I am just voicing concerns that I have.

I also don't want them to question my commitment - my willingness to "jump ship" - albeit for my life's pursuit, which could also work to my advantage - showing my commitment to BA.

If someone could enlighten me on this matter I would be most grateful. Do many pilots have degree's or post graduate degree's?

Thanks in advance.

flying free.LEVC
12th Nov 2012, 17:26
PLUS

or an Honours Degree at 2:2 (or higher) or a pass (or above) in a higher degree such as MSc, MA, MPhil, DPhil, PhD, MBA.

I am spanish so I don´t understand exactly what these qualifications mean, is a Registered Nurse (3 years of university) within the requirements??

Cheers

EZY_FR
12th Nov 2012, 19:48
The majority of people who got in last year had a degree and a mate of mine very nearly got in and he was doing the Aeronautical Engineering degree at BEng level. I don't think it matters if you are over qualified or not, as long as you can prove the skills they are looking for, be it from extra-curricular activities or team sports etc, then you shouldn't be at a disadvantage. Good luck.

EZY_FR
12th Nov 2012, 19:51
flying free.LEVC

You would need to check the BA future pilot website which details how to get a letter of comparability to prove equivalent qualifications.
British Airways Future Pilot Programme (http://www.bafuturepilot.com/about-you/)

Propellerhead
12th Nov 2012, 20:04
FrankMatt

Don't worry about it, just apply. If you're willing to dump your phd for the course then it shows how much you want it. You're not over qualified - your performance on the day and what you write for the essays on the application form will have more bearing on whether you progress or not.

Propellerhead
12th Nov 2012, 20:08
Jonuff - there are risks involved with any scheme and if some crisis hits the aviation industry that could happen but the risk is far smaller than for those paying 85k up front with no sponsor. Historically BA are quite good at looking after their cadets in the long term.

As someone said, BA select the best people regardless of age, race, sex, background, family connections etc. It's a very level playing field. If you're one of the best, you get the sponsorship. Simple.

Propellerhead
12th Nov 2012, 21:02
I think each school sets it's own timetable, but I believe final interviews will be around March. I guess School assessments in Dec - Feb.

EZY_FR
12th Nov 2012, 21:09
Well when I spoke to The BA Training Regulation Manager at CTC he said that the selection process is unlikely to start until after the new year. I believe the final interviews are meant to take place in March 2013, with final selection taking place in April 2013.

IFRKING
13th Nov 2012, 16:47
Anyone knows untill what year BA will keep their FPP open? I have doubts about it being either 2013, 2014, or 2015.

byrondaf
13th Nov 2012, 20:49
Frankmatt

just following on from what propellerhead said. BA won't give two figs about your qualifications or phd course. it's about whether you would fit into their company ethos, team work skills, commercial awareness etc. so no they don't go on qualifications or being over-qualified, it's impossible in this business.

and your other question about degrees and post-grad degrees, no is the short answer. a few friends of mine fly for ryanair, none have degrees, one doesn't even have any a-levels, it matters not. all about skills, coolness under pressure...list goes on.

flying free.LEVC
14th Nov 2012, 10:09
Which percentage of all the applicants will hold the combination of degree + ppl??

Propellerhead
14th Nov 2012, 11:13
Probably quite a few but everyone should stop getting hung up over the qualifications and just give it their best shot (so long as you meet the minimum). People with a PPL + degree tend to do well as they've got the experience, proven track record of learning ability, plus aptitude and enthusiasm for flying. This helps them during the assessments and looks good. However, plenty of people without either have also succeeded.

andyrik
14th Nov 2012, 23:43
As good as the opportunity looks to jump on, does anyone know the extent of the aptitude tests that will be taken during the application process?

As in, are these advanced physics, advanced mathematics and 'state pi to 10 decimal places' questions or more along the lines of 45x63, and/or aptitude tests similar to OASC Cranwell?

It may seem like an obvious answer maybe, and although a high caliber of applicant is expected, I was wondering the level of filtering they may use on applicants.

Obviously, you cannot fully prepare for any aptitude tests, but an intense few weeks of maths revision will not hurt your chances. A big decision to make, especially when each aptitude test is £200+ a pop.

17PA
15th Nov 2012, 06:28
The maths and physics is very basic, nothing more than GCSE standard. It's worth learning how to do the maths very quickly, as this section is very limited in time, that's where the revision is handy.

EZY_FR
15th Nov 2012, 07:21
andyrik

What 17PA said is absolutely correct, just spend time preparing for the maths and physics as it is all very basic.

GS-Alpha
15th Nov 2012, 08:55
FrankMatt

I applied for the cadet scheme many moons ago, whilst two years through a PhD. I put my date of earliest joining as one year away, and they gave me a one year deferred entry place on the scheme. Six months later, I realised I was not going to be complete in that time, but was going to need a further six months on top of the year. The company granted that extension on the proviso I'd be happy to come to interview again to check my commitment... I decided not to take the gamble, quit the PhD and began flight training. I literally left college in the morning and arrived at the flight school an hour or so later, having quit my PhD after nearly two and three quarter years, rapidly written up a thesis, and obtained an MPhil for my efforts. I've never looked back.

Good luck!

fwjc
15th Nov 2012, 10:14
I got through the paper sift last time. I don't know what I wrote that ticked the boxes, but I was thorough in checking that I had answered the questions asked as fully as I could within the word allowance. I also checked and double-checked my grammar and spelling. Note I was mid-late thirties with A levels, plus around 300hours fixed wing time. This includes some very challenging flying requiring precise handling skills, not just PA28 cruising.

For the Compass tests I brushed up on Maths and Physics. I found some sections of the test to be relatively easy, however the one that got me was the hand-eye coordination test. This looks like an aeroplane type scenario, but it isn't. It has one gotcha in that the sense is reversed in one part compared to a conventional display, although this didn't bother me because I fly non-conventional as a matter of course. The main issue for me was that the input / response was also nothing like a real aeroplane, for example when dealing with upsets from a required path, the idea is to put in a small input and return to normal to allow convergence onto required path. This is usually achieved as a sequence of continuous smooth control changes, but the computer test didn't behave as per the model. Here is where I think fewer hours flying experience will be better for you, since you won't have such ingrained, preconceived ideas as to how to handle controls.

So, I failed on part 1 of the school assessment. I did go back at the invite of the school to be assessed for regular entry to their integrated course, and did really well on the rest of the assessment - high scores in the sim (not used for FPP), team exercises and group discussion. Amazingly no major flaws in the psychometric assessment either. The interview was with two BA FOs, who were incredibly professional, polite, funny, and well spoken. If they are an indication of your future colleagues, you are in for good times. I scored top marks for the interview too, and was offered a place on the in-house integrated course.

Unfortunately, finances let me down, so I have gone my own way. I now have a reasonably likely conditional job offer for commercial flying (funnily enough, through a personal recommendation from a former BA Captain). It's low pay, but great experience. I will probably never get to work for BA, which is a shame, but actually I think the loss is mutual and not worth getting upset about on either part.

So, in summary - age doesn't need to matter
- qualifications do need to meet the minimum, but minimum is ok
- lots of flying hours do not give you an advantage on the test
- some flying hours may stand you in good stead on the interview, since you can speak authoritatively about why you like flying
- get your class 1 medical; it's a waste of money to go for assessment including fees and accommodation if you aren't sure you can get the medical

And finally - if you get through, great! It's an incredible opportunity and seize it with both hands
- if you don't get through, can't get it out of your head, and have enough means to try it, think really really hard. If you absolutely must do it, and can do it without incurring huge debt, it might be worth it. But only might, only you can make the decision as to whether it's worth it.

ljm10
15th Nov 2012, 18:23
Would applying through CTC or FTE give better odds than OAA anyone? OAA meaning no need to relocate major distances etc. I applied last time and got through to the 2nd day at OAA. Does anyone know if the tests at each selection center are the same i.e. same computer tests, interviewers looking same qualities or is it selection center style dependent?

V_2
15th Nov 2012, 18:59
Would applying through CTC or FTE give better odds than OAA anyone?

Why? Do you not think you are good enough to beat lots of competition?

It makes no difference. They will pick the best 72, regardless of the schools chosen

flyinglondon
15th Nov 2012, 23:51
V2 - I was told at the CTC open day with BA last weekend that all three schools will have an equal number of FPP candidates during this intake. As opposed to last year when it was simply the top x number of candidates with distribution between the 3 FTOs being irrelevant. Therefore one might think applying to FTE would give you a slightly higher chance seeing as it's the least popular of the 3.

V_2
16th Nov 2012, 05:43
Fair enough, I stand corrected!

I guess now you have just got to hope that everyone else doesnt have the same idea, and infact the majority actually end up applying to say FTE and not OAA. Although is there anything stopping them still taking the best 72, and then asking people to transfer to even up the spread? I just wouldnt have thoguht they would take the "less able" candidates just because they need to fill up a certain school.

So do you pick what you believe is the best school, the one you'd most enjoy, or the one you think gives you the best chance (statisticly) of being accepted. Interesting dilema...

lockspring
16th Nov 2012, 07:29
My son, who now lives abroad, enquired about re-applying this year and received the following email from BA. Has anyone else heard this? Last year he got to the final interview stage. It seems ludicrous that he would be excluded from re-applying. -

Thank you for your email.

Regrettably we do not accept duplicate applications from previously
unsuccessful candidates for the same role within a 12 month period. Our
experience shows that there is not usually a significant change in the
results of re-applicants within that period of time.

However, we would be interested to receive your application if this role
becomes available again after a year, and you feel you have the appropriate
skills and experience.

Thank you for your continued interest in British Airways.

Yours sincerely
British Airways Recruitment

[email protected]
British Airways (http://www.ba.com/careers)

Guy of Gisborne
16th Nov 2012, 11:36
...........or tell them all to Foxtrot Oscar and go and spend your £100,000 on a HGV class one. Stop making the problem worse

Speedbird777
16th Nov 2012, 13:34
In theory it does depend on what school you select. The best candidates are picked at each location so, in theory, candidate 25 (who did not make the cut) at CTC may have made it at OAA IF the group was less competitive. Trust me, I have this on good authority. It also ensures that candidates who are successful do no get sent somewhere where they do not want to go.

I would just pick where you really want to go (probably makes articulating it easier in an interview also).

Ispahan
16th Nov 2012, 14:00
What about a potential box inside the application form to be ticked:

"Willing to change my chosen FTO upon FPP programme acceptance"

This would let BA recruitment team the possibility to adjust each FTO intake and also enable candidates to focus on the quality of their application and not the odds of success with each FTO...Anyway I trust BA words in only keeping the best...even if 60/72 made the same FTO choice ! ? ? :rolleyes:

Good luck to you all

Libertine Winno
16th Nov 2012, 14:36
@ lockspring

Interesting email, as at the Flyer show BA said they welcome applications from those who applied last time...

17PA
16th Nov 2012, 15:28
Lockspring, ignore that email, it's just a standard response that someone from HR has sent out about general recruitment...If your son had simply gone on the FPP website he would have seen that applicants from last year are welcome to re-apply.

EZY_FR
17th Nov 2012, 13:07
Hi all,
I, like others, will be applying for BA on Monday but I am worried in case my life experiences are a little lacking. I have done some extra-curricular activities such as being the class representative for a year and recently started volunteer work but if I'm honest, I haven't really got much else to say apart from that. I fear that the degree that I am doing (Aeronautical Engineering) is taking up too much of my time to do other activities in my life as I would really like to gain some essential transferable skills that would not only apply to BA, but to other careers just in case becoming a pilot doesn't work out.

Green Army
18th Nov 2012, 10:11
Dear Phil,

I'm very excited to hear about the new routes to Mogadishu, Kabul and Sudan.

Best regards and utmost respect,

EZY_FR
18th Nov 2012, 16:01
Does anybody know what time BA (not date)will launch the application process? I have lectures tomorrow and I want to get started as soon as possible.

cc86
18th Nov 2012, 16:03
Evening all,

Am throwing my hat into the ring. I've been dreaming of being a pilot since I was a foetus so I'm after one of those places!

For those of you old enough to remember, do you think they'll take my skyfliers founding membership certificate as proof of committment? :ok:

Rj111
18th Nov 2012, 16:07
Damn, I don't quite have the academic qualifications unfortunately. Though could probably fund the whole thing myself now.

cc86
18th Nov 2012, 16:32
They shouldnt place too much on academic prowess I think... The guys & gals interviewing us will be pilots themselves and they'll be asking themselves if they'd want to spend hours in a cockpit talking to your boring ass.

I'd imagine they'd want to see committment to something/anything and an ability to think under pressure. Might also help if you like the smell of kerosene...

fa2fi
18th Nov 2012, 17:01
Must be nice!

mysterywhiteboy83
18th Nov 2012, 17:51
cc86, me too mate! Best of luck to you. Im kind of itching to start the application. Its like Christmas Eve, haha.

flying free.LEVC
18th Nov 2012, 20:01
It feels like Christmas eve yess:} hehe

I started the theory of the ATPL with Oxford (distance learning) a few months ago, but haven´t sat any exams or sent any tests yet, will I be allowed to apply??

Do you know anyone in a similar situation from the previous year?

Best regards

Rj111
18th Nov 2012, 21:29
They shouldnt place too much on academic prowess I think... The guys & gals interviewing us will be pilots themselves and they'll be asking themselves if they'd want to spend hours in a cockpit talking to your boring ass.

I'd imagine they'd want to see committment to something/anything and an ability to think under pressure. Might also help if you like the smell of kerosene...

It's their course and they can do what they like. Unfortunately i am shy on the A-level department.

Serves me right for having so much fun when i was younger i guess. :ugh:

Mike91
18th Nov 2012, 23:05
I wonder if anyone has some advice on the BA requirements...I did tweet them on the Q&A but didn't get a reply. I am slightly under for the A Level (higher SQA) entry but i'm currently in my last year of university, hoping to achieve a 2:1. Do you think I'll be discounted on first look as I currently don't meet the minimum entry requirements but will in June?

EZY_FR
18th Nov 2012, 23:52
Mike91
Sorry mate but BA are very strict on their requirements and are unlikely to change now.

Libertine Winno
19th Nov 2012, 07:59
@Mike91

It's always worth applying, but BA did say at the Flyer show that grades must be in hand and not predicted (in response to a quesiton about A-Levels) so I would imagine it will be the same for a degree.

EZY_FR
19th Nov 2012, 08:06
Does anybody know what time the application process will start? I have got a couple of lectures and a lab to go to and I want to ensure I get my application in as soon as possible(after carefully thinking about the questions, of course).

Libertine Winno
19th Nov 2012, 08:29
@EZY_FR

I wouldnt worry about it, you have until 13th December!

As far as I understand it there are some essay questions to answer, so it's not just a case of filling in your details and submitting.

Stocious
19th Nov 2012, 09:15
If you've started an application process on the website and they do decide to close applications early, then you'll get an email notifying you. You'll effectively have 48 hours to finish the application. It was open for a good few weeks last time round.

Mike91 - You'll need to bring physical proof of either SQA results or Degree with you to assessment centre if you do get through the papersift anyway. It'll cost you £200 to even get there, so make sure you've found out first. I think unfortunately you'll most likely have to wait until the next FPP to apply as you won't have the necessary document this time round when it comes to proving qualifications. Use the time wisely!

pug
19th Nov 2012, 10:44
...deleted

V_2
19th Nov 2012, 10:57
I wouldnt worry about it, you have until 13th December!

It is pretty well established (and personally from chat with BALPA, amongst many others, at Flyer) that last year, many applications that were completed in time, but towards the very end of the application window, never got screened due to the shear number thats were recieved. I would apply asap,certainly within the first week.

Unless your intention was to give bad advice so people miss out!? ;)

ExMilRedundancy
19th Nov 2012, 11:19
V_2,

Incorrect. := There is a guy on course at the moment who submitted his application form 1 minute before the deadline.

Libertine Winno
19th Nov 2012, 11:25
@ V_2 you assume the worst of me ;)

But in all seriousness, it wont harm in getting the application in reasonably early doors but I was more directing the comments at people who were worried about missing the opening as they had lectures! A few hours will make no difference at all, and if anything I would say that taking some time to think about the answers to the questions is probably time well spent

EZY_FR
19th Nov 2012, 11:40
In the interest of fairness, could people reading this forum who are applying to please refrain from posting any information regarding the application? I don't want to see people disqualified from the process simply by not adhering to their guidelines. For those not in the know, Airlines do read this forum, and BA read the 2011 FPP thread.
Good luck!

Hamsterminator
19th Nov 2012, 12:26
Is anybody else experiencing horrendous slowdowns using the BAfuture pilot application form?

I've been trying to fill it in since 10am but the pages either take between 1-5 minutes to load or they don't load at all. Got to about 15 pages in before it crashed this time...

I guess there must be alot of people applying right now :sad:

Libertine Winno
19th Nov 2012, 12:37
@ EZY_FR

Agree, and people should think what they are posting before doing so.

However, the online application is currently open to anyone and so there will be no real advantage to be gained at this stage.

The moment to keep quiet will be after the assessment days (for those sucessful to that stage) especially bearing in mind that there are 72 places up for grabs and last year BA received something around 6,000 applications!

ggargan
19th Nov 2012, 13:14
Im experiencing the slowdown! It gets slower and slower the futher i get :uhoh:

EZY_FR
19th Nov 2012, 13:26
It seems that the slowdown is due to the number of applicants applying for this scheme. My advise would be to wait until things calm down a bit, maybe later tonight? What you can do though is look at the essay questions, copy and paste the questions to word and start working on them until things have calmed down. That way you won't feel like you are wasting your time. Good luck to all.

EZY_FR
19th Nov 2012, 13:57
I think the demand has reached the point where nobody can even access the website anymore! Competition is going to be fierce.

Propellerhead
19th Nov 2012, 14:04
It would appear so long as you haven't sat any ATPL exams or started an integrated course you can apply? But I would advise contacting the FTO for clarification.

EZY_FR, it's difficult to find extra time during a AeroEng course but my advice would be try to fit in some extra curricular activities - there are many clubs to choose from at Uni. It doesn't have to be flying related but helps if it is I guess. Not just for your application, Uni is more than just about developing academically - think you will look back and regret it if you don't. Try to think what skills are needed to be an Airline Pilot and what you can do to help develop those skills. Recommend at least a trial flying lesson - always amazed at how many people apply to be an airline pilot having never sat at the controls of an aircraft!

EZY_FR
19th Nov 2012, 14:11
Propellerhead

Thankfully I have already had a trial lesson, which was pretty much the deciding factor for my chosen career. As you may have read, I was the student rep for a year, got a voluntary placement and am very close to getting a placement with another volunteering firm so I can do some extra-curricular activities within that firm(fundraising, organising events etc) to demonstrate the required traits. Do you reckon that will be good to have considering the degree that I'm doing(especially considering I'm in my honours year)?

zimflew
19th Nov 2012, 14:25
Dear all,

I have two questions regarding the BA programme.
Q1: JTE is referring to a phase II: "Phase II consists of a series of questions that you will be required to answer within a given time. If successful you will progress to Phase III which is a two-day assessment at a venue (soon to be confirmed) in the UK, which includes the following tests"
British Airways Future Pilot Programme | FTEJerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/british-airways-future-pilot-programme)

It is not really explicit. Would you have more information about this phase II ? Are these questions answered by email ? Phone ? Web based application ... ? What type of question it is ?

Q2: As far as each FTO has one third of the quota, do you think we could have a better chance to succeed in one particular FTO (FTE for example which will not be the first choice of UK living applicants?).

Thank you very much for your clarifications.

Propellerhead
19th Nov 2012, 14:36
Sure, but make sure you follow your genuine interests too! All work and no play and all that!

Bearcat F8F
19th Nov 2012, 17:33
Hi guys. Quick question.

In the "Qualifications" section of the application form they ask to mention all exam results that were obtained including and above GCSE level.

Does this include university exam results?

If so, they are going to have quite a long list of exam results from me as I'm in 4th year of my Degree. :suspect:

EDIT: looks like there isn't an option to enter University exam results. Only a whole degree. Hmmm...

Captain_Snape
19th Nov 2012, 20:20
Why all. If you have a passion for aviation then forget the rest, just apply. I have. Academics etc blah blah. I Have a CV worth anyone's weight but no degrees etc, so what I will have ago.

I'm not to impressed about not taking into consideration your current experience, i.e. PPL, Night etc. I personally have worked very very hard to fund such, Q1 - motivation? I would still have to start owing 84k plus living?

Still all said, Apply.

One special forces soldier once quoted to me " it's better to try and fail than fail to try"
Another great quote is " empty pockets never stopped anyone, only empty hearts and minds can do that"

Enough said.

SmileyRiley
19th Nov 2012, 21:29
FTE is my first choice.

I think its got a lot to do with luck - people choose the school they fancy the most becuase they all basically offer identical training.

cc86
19th Nov 2012, 21:50
not only do BA not recognise my uni as it isn't listed but they don't even list my degree! Bachelor of "other" from University of "other"... Oh dear - doesn't bode well...

FullTanks
19th Nov 2012, 22:06
Dear applicants,

As one (now retired from BA) who continues to give advice in schools to those aspiring to a career in aviation, can I offer a few comments of my own?

With the opening of applications for the next FPP courses, I have taken some time to read all of the posts on this thread. I would suggest that anyone who is thinking of submitting an application takes the time to do likewise. This, together with careful reading of the official FPP site, including the FAQs, will address most of your basic questions.

If you have any doubts about your state of health a Class 1 medical examination now will hopefully put your mind at rest, or at least save you any further expenses which may be incurred during the selection procedure, before finding out at a late stage that you do not meet the requirements.

BA are not seeking to employ the cheapest co-pilots in order to satisfy legal crewing requirements; they really are looking for those with at least the potential to become aircraft commanders - in every sense of the word. Whilst once the answer to the question, 'Why do you want to become an airline pilot?', might suffice as a part of the selection procedure, they are now seeking applicants with a far broader skill set, which will encompass commercial knowledge and awareness plus management and interpersonal skills, as well as those in the traditional areas of piloting ability; with both the ability and motivation to acquire those skills in a very rigid time frame, on the ground, in the air and also during the simulator and route phases of training. In the area of pilot training time is most definitely money; resits and retakes are to be avoided at all costs.

The basic sifting by academic qualifications, on-line selection by essay writing, psychometric and Compass tests, together with the interviews, will seek to explore all of these areas in some depth. Assuming you score highly in all individual processes, it will be your personality (or lack of) which will determine your ultimate success.

I wish you all good luck. It is a brilliant career, which I was able to enjoy for over 35 years.

funkyt111
20th Nov 2012, 08:50
Dear applicants,

As one (now retired from BA) who continues to give advice in schools to those aspiring to a career in aviation, can I offer a few comments of my own?

With the opening of applications for the next FPP courses, I have taken some time to read all of the posts on this thread. I would suggest that anyone who is thinking of submitting an application takes the time to do likewise. This, together with careful reading of the official FPP site, including the FAQs, will address most of your basic questions.

If you have any doubts about your state of health a Class 1 medical examination now will hopefully put your mind at rest, or at least save you any further expenses which may be incurred during the selection procedure, before finding out at a late stage that you do not meet the requirements.

BA are not seeking to employ the cheapest co-pilots in order to satisfy legal crewing requirements; they really are looking for those with at least the potential to become aircraft commanders - in every sense of the word. Whilst once the answer to the question, 'Why do you want to become an airline pilot?', might suffice as a part of the selection procedure, they are now seeking applicants with a far broader skill set, which will encompass commercial knowledge and awareness plus management and interpersonal skills, as well as those in the traditional areas of piloting ability; with both the ability and motivation to acquire those skills in a very rigid time frame, on the ground, in the air and also during the simulator and route phases of training. In the area of pilot training time is most definitely money; resits and retakes are to be avoided at all costs.

The basic sifting by academic qualifications, on-line selection by essay writing, psychometric and Compass tests, together with the interviews, will seek to explore all of these areas in some depth. Assuming you score highly in all individual processes, it will be your personality (or lack of) which will determine your ultimate success.

I wish you all good luck. It is a brilliant career, which I was able to enjoy for over 35 years.

I do not usually comment on here too much but having read this I felt the need to. Fantastic post. I advise all aspiring BA pilots to read these kind words of wisdom.

Thank you

no guesses
20th Nov 2012, 11:53
Anyone know what the pay scale is?

The FPP website only quotes the starting salary of £22,700 which is pretty risible. They do mention £8k to £10k in flight pay, which will just about pay the interest on the debt you have incurred.

So, no-one is going to sign up for the opportunity to earn £23k plus flight pay. Anyone know how quickly it ramps up over the first few years?

Libertine Winno
20th Nov 2012, 14:41
BA will also pay you £1k a month for 84 months to cover the bond. Sounds like a good call to me, but plenty will think otherwise. Simple answer is if you don't like the terms, don't apply!

no guesses
20th Nov 2012, 15:22
.... but what are the terms? What are the salary increments after year 1? They aren't on the website and there's no number to call to ask the question ....

Propellerhead
20th Nov 2012, 15:29
22,700 plus 8-10,000 allowances (at least 3000 of which is tax free) plus 12,000 bond repayment (tax free) adds up to equivalent of at least 45,700 if you were taxed at 20% in a normal job. Hardly risible. I reckon take home of £2200 average per month less pension contribution plus 1000 tax free to pay back the loan? Happy to be corrected on my maths!

From the BALPA database: Allowances are £9.73 a block hour taxed at 100% (average 700 a year) plus £3.12 per hour away from base 21% of which is taxed (depending how many tours / day flights but for 700 hours flying I reckon at least 1500). 8-10000 is on the conservative side based on this. In your 8th year you will switch to the full salary which is currently 70k + allowances in year 8 for longhaul, 64.5k SH (slightly less on pp34 scales I guess).

lostmyshoe
20th Nov 2012, 15:48
long time reader first time poster. Apologies of these are stupid questions but i have searched and read the whole thread!

1) Obviously ba arent going to promise you a job at the end of the course, but "if jobs are available" covers a wide range of sins. Is it just oil at $400 a barrel and ww3 covering their arse? How many people are waiting for jobs at the moment? is there a furlough/waiting list and is it ordered? are any bmi guys on it? what about ffp graduates from previous years? So what are the odds of a job? if you pass ffp2012 are you guaranteed to be added to the list or could ba just start hiring FOs with hours and leave you waiting forever?

(fwiw i wouldnt pay ctc/oaa/fte a penny for a frozen atpl, i went to a comprehensive school, i dont live with my parents, am in my mid 30s, and i would be borrowing the money from a bank!)

2) what kind of rota would you get on short haul? is it in chunks? are you on standby all the time? hence making living closeby essential?

3) say each trainer has 25 places how many will they put through to stage 3 at ba? not looking for confidential info, but if someone has been to stage 3 previously and there were X days of interviews and on the day you went there were Y people it would give an idea if the trainers are putting through say 50 or 500.

Thanks

ExMilRedundancy
20th Nov 2012, 16:57
Allowances of £9.73 taxed at 100%, I'd be a little dismayed that I was giving it all to the taxman. Typo?

FullTanks
20th Nov 2012, 17:29
= fully taxed at your marginal rate.

Propellerhead
20th Nov 2012, 17:34
100% of which is taxed.

deltahotel
20th Nov 2012, 17:42
You're fretting about remuneration? BA is the biggest flying gig in the uk. If you succeed and hang around long term, money will not be a problem. Add on to that the biggest choice of types, bases, LH, SH etc.

Stocious
20th Nov 2012, 18:43
I've been lead to believe the base salary increments are about an increase £5k a year until it catches up with DEP payscales.

wiggy
20th Nov 2012, 18:55
Add on to that the biggest choice of types, bases, LH, SH etc.

(my italics)

:confused:

I'm really not sure even the most devout BA acolyte would claim they've got a large choice of bases, that said I agree with the rest of your sentiments.

deltahotel
20th Nov 2012, 19:52
Yeah, you're right, scratch the bases comment! From outside BA looking in and comparing this with other entry routes to commercial aviation I'd apply for this scheme if I was starting now. Mind you, with the current and future state of the industry I'm not sure I'd bother at all!

Aspiration_Station
20th Nov 2012, 22:30
A sensible question about filling in the application and if you have flying experience such as a PPL - is anyone putting it down in the 'Qualifications' section? For example, under 'Other - Other UK'.

Your thoughts please guys and gals?

no guesses
21st Nov 2012, 11:38
I'm not suggesting that it is a bad scheme, or that people shouldn't apply. What I am suggesting is that anyone applying should be able to look at the finances rationally and understand what they are applying for.

Before you start working for BA you are likely to be over £100k down:

£84k for the scheme
£5k additional costs to the school (which aren't re-imbursed)
Living expenses
Plus accrued interest on the debt

You start on £23k plus allowances - lets say £32k. Based on normal UK taxation that would give you net pay of about £34k pa / £2k per month.

Many of the posters here seem to think that the repayment of the bond is income. It isn't - it is repayment of a debt that you have accrued on behalf of the company.

Out of that £2k per month you would have to pay interest on your loan - someothing in the region of £600 to £700 per month is probable. That leaves you with £1,400 per month to live off - which is equivalent to a salary of about £22k pa. That's not a lot of money for the quality of people they say they are looking for.

So then the key question becomes, for how long is your base salary £23k, at what rate does it increase, and what is it likely to increase to? None of those questions are answered in the recruitment literature and they don't seem to be available in the public domain. That in turn means that BA are asking for candidates of exceptional quality but aren't supplying them with the data which any rational person would need in order to make an informed decision about the FPP scheme.

I have no doubt that plenty of qualified candidates will apply regardless, but the lack of information seems odd to me.

BobsCousin
21st Nov 2012, 12:16
You'll find they ask you elsewhere in the application about your flying experience and license details, so it's not necessary in the qualifications section.

FullTanks
21st Nov 2012, 15:39
Dear applicants,

I have received a number of PMs and an e-mail since my post on page 10 of this thread. Please accept this as my reply to you all.

Hello,
Thank you for your kind messages and comments, and good luck with your applications.
Regarding BA as it currently operates, I have been retired for almost 10 years, so although I have a number of friends still employed I am rather outside the 'loop' in the operational sense. Despite what you may read on PPRuNe, BA are undoubtedly the premier airline in the UK, if not Europe, in stability of employment terms. Whilst pay scales, time to command and negotiated terms and conditions will inevitably vary over time, very few pilots choose to interupt their career path and leave for another operator because of them. Changes to plans within the industry often occur rapidly and unexpectedly, and are very influenced by World events - 9/11, war and conflict, fuel prices etc. - over which airlines have little or no control.
I would refer you to my previous post, which recommends ways in which you can brief yourselves on the current financial, strategic and operational areas. Include the Financial Times, Aviation Week and Flight in your regular reading, but probably the most powerful tool is the Internet, something from which I was unable to take benefit 45 years ago. The RAeS would welcome you as a member, as would the pilots' union BALPA, which produces an informative quarterly magazine. One of the talents BA should be seeking is a level of proactivity on your part; don't expect to be 'spoon fed' all the way to a cadet training offer.
(Where are you 'TalkPedlar'?)
Good luck.

Propellerhead
21st Nov 2012, 19:44
No guesses, did you actually read my post? I spent ages putting that together and answered all your questions with accurate data. If you still aren't satisfied I suggest you contact BALPA. I believe you can join as a a student and will have access to even more detailed data. You're right that it is important to understand the finances but what's the alternative? Many people pay 100k up front with no prospects of a job. Yes, you're not going to be living the high life for the first couple of years but bear in mind many of the cabin crew take home around 1000-1200 per month and live and work out of LHR. As do nurses etc, so it is possible. I've told you the salary after 8 yrs will be around 80,000+ - is that enough for you?

FullTanks
21st Nov 2012, 21:03
Despite my post above I am still receiving PMs seeking my opinion on individual cases. I'm sure you will appreciate that I cannot comment on anyone's particular circumstances. What I have sought to do is to encourage those with the right motivation and qualifications to take up this valuable opportunity, which some have waited for a decade to appear.

The academic requirements are specific and not dissimilar to those half a century ago. They act as a filter at an early stage and will save many the cost of the training school tests and the fee for a Class 1 medical examination. In the modern world an employer is entitled to expect more from a potential employee, especially when they can be very selective in their choice, from candidates who are falling over each other to apply for so few training places.

Many have written that, "I've always wanted to be a BA pilot, it's all I've ever wanted to do". That may sound quite trite in isolation, but it is obviously what motivates you. So what have you done to satisfy this motivation? There are a hundred ways that a lifelong interest in aviation and flying for a living can be addressed, no matter what your age, circumstances or even where you live. The highly motivated candidate will have spent many years seeking out these opportunities or engaging in aviation related hobbies - have you?

Having the relevant qualifications and all the motivation in the World will not be enough if the interviewers judge that you will not fit into the close confines of a modern flight deck. Ultimately they will be looking for those with whom they could spend 12 hours plus on an aircraft and perhaps a week or more down route. Personality and sociability have their part to play in the selection process.
I should add that I am not, nor have I ever have been, involved in pilot selection for any airline, but this is just common sense, not rocket science.

My apologies if you have not received a personal reply from me, I do hope you understand.

Stocious
22nd Nov 2012, 08:37
No guesses, your figures are a little out of sorts to those given by BBVA.

At current repayment rates and the standard BBVA 10 year loan period, repayments (after the two year payment holiday and for a standard £84,000 amount) are two years at about £850-£900 a month, then approx £1250-£1300 until the end of the loan period. Note you will still get the £1000 from BA a month irrespective of how you finance the training, and you can always overpay the loan if you can afford to. Admittedly this doesn't include living expenses or the FTO top up, but its merely given as a guide for those fortunate enough not to need this aspect financed.

At the time of repayment increase, the base BA salary will have increased to £32k plus flying and duty pay, plus the bond repayment. It's certainly not a product that should cripple those successful applicants.

According to a BALPA source, FPP salaries are as follows: (all are base salary on PP34 from 2011)

Year 1 - 22770
2 - 27628
3 - 32395
4 - 39047

Unfortunately, I don't know the years above this, it was just sent to me as a guide for the first few years financial planning, but as quoted above, it joins the normal scale at roughly £60,000 base if you're still flying SH at that time.

Propellerhead
22nd Nov 2012, 09:40
Based on the above, yr 5 should be about 47k, yr 6 48, yr 7 50.

It's worth noting that your pensionable pay is based on the full DEP salary ie) BA put in a generous 12% of 49.5, the pilot standard amount is 6% but you can vary that. You also get a free type rating, full time contract, full healthcare, CAA medical fees, uniform, car parking, crew meals, city centre 'first class' hotels, full staff travel inc 1 free ticket in business, an ipad, 6 weeks leave, stable rosters that you'll eventually have a lot of control over.....

I believe there are also lots of opportunities for overtime if you need extra cash.

As someone said this is designed to remove money as a selection filter so I hope no one is put off by the finances. I guess if you already have a mortgage and a family to support it may be a slightly different story, but then it may be possible to put property up as a guarantee for the loan?

I think fulltanks hits the nail on the head with paragraph 3 above.

cc86
22nd Nov 2012, 11:23
Its not all about the money...

For comparison/info with medicine (with significant student loan etc) without banding.

Fy1 - £23,533
fy2 - £27,798
st1 - £29,705
st2 - £31,523

Consultant - £74,504

So the amount you get as a pilot is actually pretty good as a pilot. Although most Dr's will work to a banding (20% or 40% extra depending on hours/nights/shifts).

It's also pretty comparable to Law trainee's at the big magic circle firms but their ceiling is much much higher

Libertine Winno
22nd Nov 2012, 11:30
To be honest, if you are looking at getting into the airline industry for the money then you are probably looking in the wrong place!

Of course there are still good contracts to be had out there, and in my opinion this is certainly one of them, but I certainly wouldn't be looking at spending all that time and money on training if I didn't love the prospect of flying modern airliners to some of the most exciting places on the planet!

SmileyRiley
22nd Nov 2012, 16:23
Anyone know how long replies took last year?

:)

17PA
22nd Nov 2012, 19:08
Within a few days of the application window closing if I remember correctly.

EZY_FR
22nd Nov 2012, 21:13
People who applied to FTE last year got their responses days after the application window closed CTC and OAA had to wait a few weeks before they sent out responses. This shouldn't be treated as an indicator for this window as things can all change.

this is my username
23rd Nov 2012, 09:18
Deleted, sorry!

Coliandro
23rd Nov 2012, 17:13
One question...at some point during the application, you have to write "something"..

"In no more than 500 words, please describe..."

Do you think that the limit of 500 words applies to all points together, or I can write 500 words for each point?

"In no more than 300 words, please describe..."

Idem...is the limit 300 or 300 + 300?

Regards,
Coliandro

Mr. R
23rd Nov 2012, 17:24
Hey guys just have a question is it possible for anyone outside EU or the UK to apply for this programme like me? I do have GCSE scores plus a Class One Medical from The UAE but this would be a fantastic life changing opportunity for me if possible

Bearcat F8F
23rd Nov 2012, 18:23
Mr R, if you read what BA is telling you then you would know quite easily the answer to this question.

Do you have the right to live and work in the UK? If yes, then yes. If no, then no.

pilotatlast
23rd Nov 2012, 18:39
Heard lots of negative things about COAA recently. Lots of staff leaving:cool:

MaydayMaydayMayday
23rd Nov 2012, 22:04
I'm curious about an aspect of the financing.

Let's say hypothetically you get through every stage and are ultimately selected. To qualify for BA to act as guarantor on the 84k bond (100k loan, etc), realistically how good a credit history are they looking for?

Whilst at university I got in a financial mess and damaged my credit rating. Have since entirely paid off all the issues in full but I suppose I'm not out of the 6 year period it generally takes to get back up to full health.

Not that it'd be my only financial option, but it'd be good to know it existed.

On another note, I really don't get people complaining about the starting salary. I'd be dropping my income quite considerably if I was lucky enough to be accepted. I'd more than happily take that on the chin for a few years for the chance to fly for BA.

EZY_FR
23rd Nov 2012, 22:48
Coliandro

The 500 word limit covers all the aspects of that question.

funkyt111
23rd Nov 2012, 23:03
Does it though?

Question 1 says: "In no more than 500 words, please describe"

part a) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

part b) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

part c) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

and question 2 says,

"In no more than a total of 300 words:"

a) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

b) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would assume that for question 1 it means you can use 500 words for each part whereas in question 2 it clearly states a "total" of 300 words for a and b?

ggargan
24th Nov 2012, 00:05
I was thinking the same thing, as the text field allows a lot more than 500 words?

ExMilRedundancy
24th Nov 2012, 08:17
From last year it was certainly maximum of 500/300 for the whole question. Split that as you wish for each part but do not exceed that figure for whole question.

EZY_FR
24th Nov 2012, 22:10
It would have explicitly stated 500 words per section. It is 500 words for q1 and 300 words for q2. As per ExMilRedundancy's post, split it as you see fit do not exceed 500 words for q1 and etc.

Libertine Winno
25th Nov 2012, 09:44
I dont know for certain, but I cant imagine they will read through 1,500 words plus another 300 for EVERY application, considering there were over 6,000 last year! 500 + 300 sounds far more reasonable

RMC
25th Nov 2012, 13:01
Has anyone got through to final selection with two Bs and a C in Maths at A level? Seriously worried that I'll only get a C in my Maths! Thanks in advance.

CharlieTangoZulu
25th Nov 2012, 13:13
kind of a touchy question..
does anybody know if all the cadets of the previous programmes got a job as a FO at the end of the training? what's the ratio? i'd suppose 100%... but being a big money investment, having said that you got through the whole process, it's still a fair worry

BerksFlyer
25th Nov 2012, 13:27
Considering the training takes roughly 15 months and that courses were staggered throughout the year - some having not started yet, not a single FPP has finished training yet.

Libertine Winno
25th Nov 2012, 13:46
Yeah the first FPP cadets started their courses in April this year, so will not be looking at starting as a FO until about 2 years after that

GEnxsux
25th Nov 2012, 20:51
Would you say an 31 year old engineer (BENg, MSc and over 8 years with a well known British turbofan manufacturer) is too old to apply for this? I know it says max age 55, but am just curious as to what the average age of the trainees would be...

Ta!

Stocious
25th Nov 2012, 21:28
Not too old at all. There are plenty of people around that age with similar backgrounds training at present.

PPL-Trainee
26th Nov 2012, 16:15
Those that want to apply had better to get their skates on. Just got an email from BA saying I'd better finish my application pronto due to an "Overwhelming response." They anticipate closing applications early.

Cheers

PT

Hamsterminator
26th Nov 2012, 20:52
They were quite vague about closing the application period, which would suggest that this isn't a 48 hour notice.

All the same, i'm going to be trying to complete mine within 24 hours just to be on the safe side :cool:

zimflew
26th Nov 2012, 21:05
I think it is 48 hours. It is indicated in the FAQ.

A little question for you :)
For qualifications for the French Baccalaureat level there is a drop-down list to select the result. We can select in the list grades from 1 to 7.
The problem is that in France we get grades between 0 and 20... Could someone indicate me if the equivalence for a 17/20 (for example) would be a 1 or a 7 ?

Thank you!

GrummanSk
26th Nov 2012, 22:11
It may not be the 48 hours email of application window closing. Your application is withdrawn 21 days after first registration if application is not submitted, this was told in an automated email sent out by BA recruitment.

If your application is not submitted by the closing date or within 21 days of first registration (whichever is sooner), it will be automatically withdrawn.

funkyt111
26th Nov 2012, 22:13
Not to sound too pedantic, but when listing employment, it states list in reverse chronological order. So, I began by starting with my most recent. However as you add each employer down, the most recent employer appears at the bottom of the list. Is this ok?

zimflew
26th Nov 2012, 22:19
It is indicated : "Please list in reverse chronological order"

You should manage to follow the rules :)

Libertine Winno
26th Nov 2012, 22:29
@funkyt111

Yeah it does that automatically so wouldn't worry about it!

@student630

BA said at the Flyer show grades need to be in hand, not predicted

funkyt111
26th Nov 2012, 22:31
Okay thanks. So would you start by listing the last employment first so that it appears in chronological order?

Libertine Winno
27th Nov 2012, 08:22
I put my most recent employment in first, but it came up last in the list, so I think it just sorts it for you itself!

funkyt111
27th Nov 2012, 10:09
I did the opposite. It said "list" them in chronological order not "enter" them. So in order for them to appear in chronological order in a list I started with the last option first.

no guesses
27th Nov 2012, 10:19
I enetered my employment in reverse chronological order (most recent first). Then had a minor panic when I saw that the system showed them in chronological order with no way of changing them round. Then relaxed again when I saw that when you preview the application to print it out they were all listed in reverse chronological order again.

It's all a bit clunky but it seems to work in the end.

micro_burst
27th Nov 2012, 12:55
RMC

I got through to the final stage last year with a C in A-Level maths. I wouldnt worry about it, mental arithmatic and numerical reasoning are more important than the educational grades (provided they meet the minimum requirement). This is all tested in the aptitude tests at both the FTOs and Cranebank.

Regards

Abbey Road
27th Nov 2012, 22:37
I am currently studying my A-Levels with my results being published in August 2013. Does this mean I am unable to apply for this intake? Some of you otherwise keen folks need to get a grip and read the requirements on the British Airways Future Pilot Programme (http://www.bafuturepilot.com) website. Then read them again. The above quote is a good example of someone not having done so, and there are several others.

The website clearly states;"You will need:

PLUS

or an Honours Degree at 2:2 (or higher) or a pass (or above) in a higher degree such as MSc, MA, MPhil, DPhil, PhD, MBA."

student630, you yourself have stated that you do not have any A levels ...... and won't have any results for A levels until August next year. Consequently you cannot yet apply for this scheme. Simple. :hmm:

Sharpen up, people!

cc86
27th Nov 2012, 23:13
Application submitted... Time to start hitting the books! Oh dear its been a while :ooh:

funkyt111
27th Nov 2012, 23:49
@no_guesses. When I looked at the preview under the print page, mine appeared in reverse chronological order too mate :S. I think the system automatically puts your employment history in reverse chronological order regardless of how you entered it as I entered the last employment position first. I would not worry too much.

StevenM
28th Nov 2012, 17:23
Has anybody got any good suggestions of where one might find good material to study?

To all who have applied, best of luck :ok:

cc86
28th Nov 2012, 20:43
bbc bitesize! worked when I was 15 - might work now...

hashem
29th Nov 2012, 21:23
can you apply with level 4 qualifications such as HNC or HND with 5 GCSEs??

FlyingSportsman
30th Nov 2012, 17:16
With regard to the A levels- Why would they let you put in predicted grades for A2s if you can't apply?

Can't hurt to apply surely?

FS :ok:

Stocious
30th Nov 2012, 22:50
You'd need to show evidence of your achieved grades in about minute 1 of first FTO selection day though!

nabanoba
1st Dec 2012, 02:07
For people looking to swot up, I found the book 'Get a head for the sky' very helpful for all aspects of my selection days. It covers everything from potential interview questions and the maths you'll use to what to wear and how to prepare yourself for the day.

Get a Head for the Sky - Airline Interview Preparation (http://getaheadforthesky.com/)

flying_god
1st Dec 2012, 14:46
Hi,

Just got an invite to skills assessment at Oxford. Latest date is the 14th Dec. Does anyone know if other dates become available if you leave it ?

Need to swat up..

Thanks

Titan Airways
2nd Dec 2012, 13:32
Ya I'd like to know this too. Booking flights at short notice from ROI is going to be costly!

flying free.LEVC
2nd Dec 2012, 13:48
Good luck Titan Airways and flying god ¡:D

Just for curiosity, what is your profile? PPL? Degree?

Best regards:ok:

flying free

cc86
2nd Dec 2012, 15:25
Also got my OAA interview

flyinglondon
2nd Dec 2012, 19:03
Looks like OAA is slightly ahead in telling people re: first round assessment days. Has anyone who applied to CTC heard anything yet?