PDA

View Full Version : Extended Diversion Time Operations

IrishatHeart
30th Oct 2012, 13:49
:confused:Has anyone any information on when ER/ETOPS in EASA land will be replaced by EDTO?

BOAC
30th Oct 2012, 14:56
Considering it was 'due in place' some time after this Thursday, I have seen very little from EASA or the CAA (apart from the latter's comments on the proposals). It will, I think, hinge on the estblishment of Max Diversion Time (to replace the current 'rule time') and as I understand it this will be part of the flight manual rather than an 'operator's approval' figure.

IrishatHeart
30th Oct 2012, 15:15
Many thanks. Like you, I expect, I've seen lot of "correspondence" including an ICAO proposal letter (to change Annex 6 Part I and PANS-ATM) but when searching EASA's AMCs, have found nothing.

aw ditor
17th Aug 2013, 09:30
Are there any "Updates" out there?

IrishatHeart
17th Aug 2013, 09:59
Ironically, the only "authority" loosely based in Europe that has proceeded with EDTO is Air Support Services International, who write the rules and guidance material for the UK Overseas Territories, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands in particular. See Overseas Territories Aviation Requirements (OTARs), in particular Parts 121.270 and .275.

http://www.airsafety.aero/legislation_and_otar_s/otars_for_gazetting/otar_121_commercial_air_transport_operations_-_large_aeroplanes/

Although ASSI is a subsidiary company of the UK Civil Aviation Authority, "established under Directions from the United Kingdom's Department for Transport " it supports only the UK Overseas Territories, in their requirement to follow ICAO's Annexes. I have been told by a senior member in ASSI that it is not required to follow EASA and therefore it cannot be assumed that EASA's EDTO AMCs will mirror OTARs.
(In fact, OTARs feature mainly for private operators, those who have to follow the very comprehensive and pretty demanding Part 125, which is ASSI's interpretation of ICAO Annex 6 Part 2, which EASA's Part NCC is a very watered down interpretation, perhaps due to effective lobbying)

aw ditor
17th Aug 2013, 15:20
Many Thanks.

AD'.

COM Cleaner
19th Aug 2013, 04:28
The last ICAO position on EDTO was published in Amendment 36 to Annex 6 Part 1. From afar, it appears that the EU position remains as set out in AMC 20-6 Rev 2 dated 23 Dec 10 and that alignment with Amendment 36 (Task no. RMT.0578) is not scheduled to begin until 2015 for completion in 2019.