PDA

View Full Version : 230 Sqn 1990 (ish..)

si.
28th Oct 2012, 22:51
Gentlemen,

A friend of mine has restored a Landrover 101 ambulance, which was attached to 230 Sqn, whilst based at Gutt. The vehicle was painted into desert camo., by a painter who signed Andy Smith, before being shipped to Kuwait as part of Op. Granby.

My friend is now trying to fill the gap's in the vehicle's history, and would appreciate any info from anyone who either remembers the vehicle, or knows of Andy Smith. Any stories ' events etc this vehicle may have been involved in, etc.

If anyone can help, please drop me a PM if prefered. Sorry to the Mod's if this is the wrong forum, but as only Mil / ex Mil could help.....

alisoncc
29th Oct 2012, 06:08
Thought 230 was an OCU, at least it was in my day. Flew Vulcans out of Finningley.

Pontius
29th Oct 2012, 06:55
I think you're thinking of 230 Sqn in a parallel universe. Given the age under your user name, 230 Sqn would have been Whirlwinds and, later, Pumas, with never a Vulcan in sight. 1990s (as per the thread title) definitely Pumas.

Tiger_mate
29th Oct 2012, 07:25
I was on 230 at the time, and the sqn had an MT Fleet of some size sufficient to support several dispersed flight sites. Sadly you are talking about a pre digital camera age when few servicemen had the time and money to appreciate how valuable imagery would become in following years. Your best best to get the information you want will be through the photographic archives held at RAF Northolt, and then I wouldnt hold my breath as an ambulance was simply another MT vehicle within a very large crowd.

si.
29th Oct 2012, 11:38
Thank's TM, I'll pass that suggestion onto my friend.

I have attached a link to a photo of his vehicle, whilst it belonged to it's former owner. Prior to it's restoration. Just in case it jog's anyone's memory...;)

http://miliblog.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/brit1980preservedlandies/land-rover-101-ambulance-crh-311-x.jpg

Waddo Plumber
29th Oct 2012, 11:59
Surely 230 OCU was Vulcans, 230 Sqn was entirely different.

threeputt
29th Oct 2012, 12:08
230 OCU was just that, an Operational Conversion Unit. Somewhat different to 230 Sqn as that was a front line Operational Squadron.

Hope that helps.

3P:ok:

NutLoose
29th Oct 2012, 13:00
Yes, 240 OCU was the Puma OCU. As said.... sigh..... Oh for a digital camera :(