PDA

View Full Version : EASA LAPL(A) -> EASA PPL(A) requirements

ChrisA87
27th Oct 2012, 15:16
At some point in the future I'd like to become an EASA PPL(A) holder. I have a brand new NPPL(SLMG/SSEA) with credit taken from a Glider Pilot Licence.

I've been advised to initially work towards the LAPL(A) and once the required experience attained, apply for a PPL(A). As such I'd like an idea of what I need to accomplish.

From CAP804:

-
Specific requirements for applicants holding an LAPL(A). Applicants for a PPL (A)
holding an LAPL(A) shall have completed at least 15 hours of flight time on
aeroplanes after the issue of the LAPL (A), of which at least 10 shall be flight
instruction completed in a training course at an ATO. This training course shall
include at least 4 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 2 hours
of solo cross-country flight time with at least 1 cross-country flight of at least
270 km (150 NM), during which full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from
the aerodrome of departure shall be made.
-

Count the times "at least" appears!

There's no mention of required dual training there. Am I correct in thinking the required minimum 10hrs "flight instruction" can all be "supervised solo" hours. But what exactly is supervised solo? How I can be supervised if I'm doing a 150nm XC?

Or am I completely off?

BillieBob
27th Oct 2012, 16:28
The training course must be approved by the competent authority. I doubt that any competent authority would approve a course that consisted wholly of supervised solo, especially as it will include flight by sole reference to instruments.

Whopity
27th Oct 2012, 18:35
There's no mention of required dual training there. Read again: of which at least 10 shall be flight instruction completed in a training course at an ATO. This training course shall include at least 4 hours of supervised solo flight time 10-4 = 6 hours minimum of "dual flight instruction".

ChrisA87
27th Oct 2012, 19:33
of which at least 10 shall be flight instruction completed in a training course at an ATO. This training course shall include at least 4 hours of supervised solo flight time

If someone flew 10hrs of supervised solo time (including all the XC bits..but how?) he's technically met the requirements above (flown at least 4 hours S/S and met the 10 hours minimum)

Bad wording I guess.

Reading that again, I think the key lies in "training course at an ATO" like BillieBob says. Will talk to a school.

Whopity
27th Oct 2012, 21:04
It is as you say badly worded and is an example of the poorly worded regulations produced by EASA where the meaning may have been lost in the process of translation.

If you increased the 4 hours minimum supervised solo, then that same increase should be added to the 10 hours minimum training time however: it does not clearly state this.

The training course has to be based upon the regulation and although we all know what it should say, neither the ATO nor the competent Authority can be more stringent than the basic regulation in formulating and approving the course requirements.

xrayalpha
28th Oct 2012, 16:26
In NPPL Microlight world, there is a requirement for at least five hours navigation training of which at least three hours must be solo.

I have had students with 110 mins dual and 190 solo, and that has been satis with BMAA and their CAA auditors.

So minimum 4 hours means just that, and so could be 10 hours solo supervised. If they wanted different, then they should have written minimum 6 hours dual and 4 hours solo.

But one can obviously stretch it to 4hr 10 min solo and 5 hr 50min dual - and then just keep stretching.

It is not what is meant, it is what is written.