PDA

View Full Version : How should I go about my training...

mi2ka2012
26th Oct 2012, 21:21
Hi guys,

I'll try to keep this short but I'm really interested to learn whether or not my plan of action sounds sensible or not.

I am 26, half way through ATPL ground studies, with 150 hours PPL only, started at age 17 BUT the license itself has now expired and I have not flown for a couple of years. I am full time employed (4 days week) as a train driver (shift work) with a master degree in engineering.

Over the next 6 months I will be completing the ATPL ground studies without fail. After that I was planning on gettting my PPL back in date, complete a night rating and the 300NM flight and jump straight into the CPL. I plan to have this completed by July. This much I have funds for.

After this I am a bit stuck.

I don't really want to quit my current job as it pays the bills but I would like to fly for the other 3 days of the week. I get about 50% of weekends off work, and my days off are known at least 6 months in advance.

What options should I look into with the AIM of flying for 'free' - i.e. I do not want to keep paying for flying. I would treat this 'second job' as a hobby. For example, if I got an instructor rating, I would be happy to sit all day at an airfield and only fly for say 1 hour.

I would like to mix the 2 jobs together for a few years, but before I am 30, I would like to have progressed into just the aviation career without a too huge pay drop!

Any suggestions? Is this sensible? Would you alter anything?

I'll be eagerly awaiting for any replies...

Kelly Hopper
27th Oct 2012, 05:59
How would you feel if I came on to a train driver forum and offered to take your job for "free?"
So STOP taking of taking a professional pilots' job away. It is their livelihood.

Advice: Stick to trains. It pays much more, with security, pension, and many more benefits than you will ever find in aviation, particularly as train drivers do not do it for "free!"

paco
27th Oct 2012, 07:29
Speaking as a chief pilot, I would never hire someone who offered their services for free. It smacks of low self esteem and is not what I want in the cockpit.

On a more positive note, if you have the inner urge to get your CPL, etc. then follow it. Destiny only works if you do your bit and you won't get a job without a licence. Use the trains to get what you need then start looking around - I wouldn't worry about jobs at your stage of the game.

laz219
27th Oct 2012, 07:47
I think you may have misunderstood the original post. The way I read it is not that he wants to work for free, but looking for an avenue that would allow him to fly as a second job, therefore meaning he doesn't have to pay to fly and can keep his primary job.
I could be wrong but that's how I read it.

mi2ka2012
27th Oct 2012, 22:20
Thanks laz219 for understanding.

Guys, I am NOT here to take away your professional pilot jobs! You are more than welcome to join a rail forum and ask about 'free' jobs/hobbies in the rail industry - they are called Heritage railways and I am sure I can point you in the right direction.

I totally disagree to what is happening to the T&Cs in the aviation industry and I will never work for free for any airline. If I never therefore work for an airline, so be it. Why would anyone pay to fly for an airline is over my head.

Now back to my question :)

I still want to fly but paying for every hour is crazy money. As I am getting my license back up and running what I guess I was looking for was hints and suggestions on areas to look into - the only ones I can think of are instructing (which I would expect to paid at the normal rate), glider towing (hobby i.e. unpaid) and parachute dropping.

Depending on what seems a sensible idea to do afterwards will influence what airfield I will fly from, what aircraft etc... Yes it might be early, but these things need some planning.

Anyone? :)

mi2ka2012
27th Oct 2012, 22:23
What I have just realised is that this is the 'professional pilot training' forum thread - if there is a better forum (or area) to post this kind of question please advise also.

taybird
28th Oct 2012, 01:34
Try Private Flying or the Instructors forum just above it.

I got shot down a few years ago for suggesting the idea of instructing on a PPL, just to do trial lessons. I totally get why, although people can get a little oversensitive to the detriment of their ability to explain why.

Don't let it bother you; the good thing is that at least you understand how better to choose your words. It is clear that you're hoping to fly for free (as in no expense to you) as opposed to fly for free (no expense to employer).

To instruct you no longer need a CPL, but you still need the theory side plus minimum hours. The amount of money you can spend in training, even without a CPL, is pretty high. You'd need to do a _lot_ of trial lessons to cover that.