PDA

View Full Version : CIR Baron or C310

ralph1
26th Oct 2012, 04:21
Hi all, I am after some advice before I go and spend all my hard earned cash. What would be more benifical to me to do my CIR in a Baron or a C310 or is there any other suggestions.
Cheers :sad:

PLovett
26th Oct 2012, 05:06
Either as both are great aircraft to fly.

aussie027
26th Oct 2012, 05:20
If this is for your initial ME CIR training and you have little or no twin time I would recommend you do it in a light training twin like a Duchess or DA42 etc. Whatever the local schools you are thinking of going with have available.
It will be far cheaper than doing it in one of these 6 seat twins you mention.
A cruise speed of 140-150KTAS is fine for training. A lot of your time will be spent flying approaches so being able to go 20-30 Kts faster is of no real value.
If you specifically want to do it in a bigger type like a Baron or C310 for some particular reason then both would be very similar in performance and costs.
Shop around and ask lots of Q before choosing a school. Quality and price will vary greatly so do your homework.
Best of luck.:ok:

iskra13
26th Oct 2012, 06:57
Do it in a Travelair(few around Melbourne), common type endorsement as the Baron, $100-$200 cheaper then the Baron and flies at a slightly slower speed.

Go West
26th Oct 2012, 09:26
Screw that. A Baron all the way.

morno
26th Oct 2012, 11:22
I would take the idea of doing your initial multi in a Duchess with a grain of salt. Complete waste of money because it's a useless endorsement if you intend on going into GA to gain experience.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't do your initial multi in a Baron or a C310. I did mine in a Baron and found it quite easy to fly.

morno

MakeItHappenCaptain
26th Oct 2012, 11:25
If you want to stay in Brisbane, I'd go see Redcliffe Aero Club, (new CFi Mike Loughnan is a top bloke), do your initial rating in the Party Bus (even cheaper and they are actually used in GA, as opposed to DutchOvens, SeminHoles or Doominds) and then add the C310 on afterwards.
You'll have another type on the license and you aren't going to be let loose on your first twin job until you have 25 ICUS anyway. If you want to go Baron, Daedalus at Archerfield have a B55.
If you're current (and competent) at twin procedures, it shouldn't take any more than two hours flight to do a type conversion.
:ok:

Old Akro
26th Oct 2012, 11:30
Why not do the CIR in a single, then add MECIR.

MakeItHappenCaptain
26th Oct 2012, 11:44
Akro,
You need to do at least five hours dedicated to just the ME flying if you are just doing your first ME endo (no I/F) and then when ready to upgrade, fly a few approaches while the instructor fails things turning inbound and going around...adds up to a bit more cash IMO. Don't forget the second test fee.

You can cut that back a bit if you are doing the MECIR as you will be able to hone the circuits and OEI ops during the circling approaches of the CIR after two or three hours of purely ME handling. You should be flying half of the in flight hours in a single anyway. Don't have to do the whole flying component in the twin and you won't need the endorsement signed off until the test anyway.

JustFlight
26th Oct 2012, 11:47
For once MIHC has given some sound advice. Doing it in the party bus is not a bad idea as there are some operators that use them. But if your pockets are deep enough just jump in which ever one takes your fancy. No doubt you'd do a 310 endo then get a job with an operator flying singles that also operate a baron!(Thats what happened to me but other way around) It's impossible to know which one you will use (if at all) and you don't want to limit yourself to operators that only fly barons or 310's.

Go the Baron. Nicer to fly :O

MakeItHappenCaptain
26th Oct 2012, 12:02
for once
Far Koff?:confused::}

I actually preferred the 310 to fly (apart from that freakin' fuel system).
Trivia; One aircraft that flap actually reduces Vmca.:ok:

The Baron is easier to get the pax in and out of though, but operators don't buy aircraft based on pilot's preference.:rolleyes:

ps. Where's the righteous preaching about operators who should be paying for your multi endos?

wishiwasupthere
26th Oct 2012, 12:05
Once you fly a Baron, you won't want to go back to anything with 1 engine! Great aircraft to fly! It's a shame I only get to fly one once a year at renewal time. Anyone know any jobs going on Barons for someone with 1000TT and 30 multi? :E

5-in-50
27th Oct 2012, 07:59
+1 for Redcliffe Aero Club with both P68 and C310 endo's. They'll have you done in 3 or so weeks if you've already got IREX.

an3_bolt
27th Oct 2012, 08:47
I can vouch for Mike L. Did my CIR with him when he was at Mudgee with the C310. Great operator and top bloke.

Cheers

CaptainInsaneO
28th Oct 2012, 22:35
"One aircraft that flap actually reduces Vmca.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif" (C310)

Have you found written evidence of this?
Or is this from testing and observing?

Horatio Leafblower
29th Oct 2012, 00:00
Ford or Holden?

Basically the same engines
Electrically operated flaps and gear
Basically the same performance.

50/50 chance of getting a job with a Baron operator or a C310 operator anyway!

We hire Baron drivers :ok:

C206driver
29th Oct 2012, 03:08
Baron! (Johnston)

Ejector
29th Oct 2012, 03:57
There are allot of old clapped out C400 series in Oz (C402 etc).

I bit of time on these will only help you. :ok:

I feel it depends on your IFR skills actually. I feel that is enough in it's own right to learn, and not complicate with a faster machine than a duchess or PN68 or what ever that is a very simple machine.

PA39
29th Oct 2012, 06:29
Twin comanche - cheap and sophisticated fuel system. Then move up to a Baron or C310

AQIS Boigu
29th Oct 2012, 16:02
Whoever recommends a CIR in a DA42 must be a (career) instructor without any idea what goes on in the bush hoping to get into an airline straight from his/her cozy flying school...you gotta love that awesome EFIS cockpit which will assist you scud running in the wet season - not.

Do it in a "useful" twin which will hopefully lead you to your 2nd job...Baron or C310 doesn't matter but please don't do it in a Twin Comanche, Duchess, Diamond or a Partenavia (the latter might help if you go to Horn Island for your 1st gig since there are one or two up there)...

MakeItHappenCaptain
30th Oct 2012, 01:40
a Partenavia (the latter might help if you go to Horn Island for your 1st gig since there are one or two up there)...

and one in Derby, and a couple in Ayers, and a couple in Darwin....

There's actually 53 on the register and I'd reckon less than a dozen of those are purely flying school aircraft.

ralph1
6th Nov 2012, 06:57
Thanks for all the comments. I have a C310 POH does anyone have the Baron POH in pdf that they could send me.