PDA

View Full Version : May the Force be with you!

Earl of Rochester
25th Oct 2012, 21:36
The U.S. Navy is now just two years away from arming it’s ships with the first generation of ‘directed energy’ laser weapons.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/25/article-2223193-15AF4920000005DC-177_634x430.jpg

According to Rear Admiral Matthew Klunder, the chief of the Office of Naval Research, a series of successful tests in recent months have enabled the Navy to halve its predicted timeline for mounting laser weapons on vessels.

A shot from a laser weapon is estimated to cost the Navy the equivalent of less than a dollar.

U.S. Navy just two years away from arming warships with laser weapons capable of destroying incoming missiles and aircraft | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223193/U-S-Navy-just-years-away-arming-warships-laser-weapons-capable-destroying-incoming-missiles-aircraft.html)

phil9560
25th Oct 2012, 22:31
Sounds a bit like 'Star Wars' to me.The project-not the film.

Waddo Plumber
25th Oct 2012, 22:41
Why does laser appear with a @ and not an a when you post here?

Buster Hyman
25th Oct 2012, 22:49
It'll be just like shooting Womp rats in Beggars Canyon back home...

Kitbag
26th Oct 2012, 05:50
Be interesting to see how composite material aircraft compare to traditional metal in their ability to resist/deflect/absorb the energy; watching the video it took 2-3 seconds to do some damage to the casing of an outboard motor.
Any proper laser geeks out there?

L J R
26th Oct 2012, 06:49
Pretty Blue..

OvertHawk
26th Oct 2012, 08:42
apparently it appears with an @ so that the word l@ser will not appear in google searches thus leading the neds and journos to the threads discussing l@ser attacks on aircraft.

Waddo Plumber
26th Oct 2012, 08:47
Unless they search for laser!

cockney steve
26th Oct 2012, 08:49
cover the defensive item in tinfoil and it'll bounce the ray straight back!

INVOICE. To US Defense Dept.

Consultancy advice on effectiveness of l@ser death-ray, or lack thereof.
$5 billion.
unmarked ,un forged, clean of BMP* notes only ,please.

Ta, muchly, you just got a bargain, Guv.

*BMP..Bolivian Marching Powder

Wensleydale
26th Oct 2012, 08:52
So are you now safe to attack the USN in cloudy weather or fog?

If you have a big mirror, can you reflect the beam back at the ship?

Will the warship be classified as a "Light Cruiser"?

Just wondered......

Evalu8ter
26th Oct 2012, 09:31
"Commence primary ignition......"

CoffmanStarter
26th Oct 2012, 11:56
I thought blinding pilots with lasers was illegal ... :E

si.
26th Oct 2012, 12:26
Squeeze off one laser blast, and everyone else knows exactly where you are. Even without any radar capability....?

Am I the only one who can see a flaw in this cunning plan......? :hmm:

Buster Hyman
26th Oct 2012, 13:07
Squeeze off one laser blast, and everyone else knows exactly where you are.
But there'll be multiple blasts from the squadron of friggin sharks with laser beams on their heads, so they won't know which one fired at them silly.

CoffmanStarter
27th Oct 2012, 07:38
How about a Fire Command of ... "Set to stun ... FIRE !"

Tashengurt
27th Oct 2012, 07:54
How can we guarantee that the baddies will use red lasers?

lasernigel
27th Oct 2012, 09:38
The laser they showed is obviously a CW one. The ones I think they will use will be high powered pulsed lasers.
I do know ( but can't say much), of a type I worked on, they "ganged" up 10 to experiment over 8yrs ago to shoot down airborne objects.
A lot has been developed since, I should imagine.

Squeeze off one l@ser blast, and everyone else knows exactly where you are. Even without any radar capability....?

Am I the only one who can see a flaw in this cunning plan......?

Not entirely true with the above type.

GreenKnight121
28th Oct 2012, 13:38
Squeeze off one l@ser blast, and everyone else knows exactly where you are. Even without any radar capability....?

Am I the only one who can see a flaw in this cunning plan......? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Since all the other weapons on the ship have exactly the same issue (you HAVE seen the muzzle flash a gun creates [much less the flare created by an operating missile motor], haven't you?), then yes... apparently you are the only one to think that missiles and guns can be fired without betraying the firing ship's location.

Just This Once...
28th Oct 2012, 13:47
The wavelength used is not visible to the naked eye.

What the wavelength used does to the naked eye is another matter...

VinRouge
28th Oct 2012, 15:06
wonder if this will have any dircm applications once miniturised?

Lightning Mate
30th Oct 2012, 16:04
laser

See. :ok:

BOAC
30th Oct 2012, 17:51
How did you do th@t?