PDA

View Full Version : Whatever you do, do not die for this Country and be lost for 70 years

NutLoose
24th Oct 2012, 23:09
I am not only appalled, I am sickened by the way the remains of one of our ex Servicemen is being treated.. What is even worse is the way they are duping the family.. :mad:

Remember this?

Dennis Copping: Body of war pilot who crash-landed in his plane in the Sahara may have been found | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2222406/Dennis-Copping-Body-war-pilot-crash-landed-plane-Sahara-found.html)

Well read on..

I think his story plumbs new depths even for the incompetent MOD. Frankly the article is a fudge the MOD, JCCC and the Defense attache have been let off the hook. The MOD have acknowledged the fact that they wrongly informed the family that the remains discovered were 'categorically' not those of Dennis Copping. The MOD press officer stated that DNA testing had been carried out and determined that the bones were 400 years old. Not only is this impossible (DNA testing cannot be used to determine age) it is completely untrue. This is what the family were told and this is also the information that was released to the press. This has been confirmed to me both by the family and a reporter independently. When questioned the MOD press officer referred to the Joint casualty and compassionate center JCCC. they in turn stated that their information had come from the defense attache in Cairo namely Capt Collins. When Capt Collins was eventually contacted by a reporter. He allegedly stated that he dismissed the claims of the Italians as the information was not credible. He was allegedly told by an unnamed Egyptian that they find remains in the desert all the time they are probably 400 years old hence the age. This apparently filtered back to the MOD press office presumably by via JCCC who we must assume have accepted the veracity of the information without any further inquiry. This was then relayed to the family. All of this despite the fact that the defense attache visited the crash site and apparently took part in the recovery of the aircraft. It seems that the limited resources available didn't stretch to the five or so extra miles required to recover the remains! No attempt has been made to make any inquiries whatsoever by the MOD. When the MOD finally becane aware of what they have apparently decribed as a "terrible mistake" they indicated that would apologise to the family as soon as possible. That was nearly a month ago and the family have still not been contacted. I guess JCCC were too busy to contact them?
The discovery by the Polish Oil workers looks very much to be suspect. The aircraft was in fact discovered as posted on the now suspended P40 thread by the Italian ARIDO team in February. They then informed the Egyptian authorities who asked them to keep quiet about it to preserve the aircraft from souvenir hunters. Unfortunately the information leaked out and it seems the polish team saw an opportunity. They took the pictures that were used around the world i am betting not for free! All of this despite the fact that oil exploration teams find the remains of servicemen regularly in the desert and whilst it is not a hard and fast rule. There is certainly a code of ethics amongst the oil industry that these finds are not publicized. To prevent precisely what happened in this case i.e. the family finding out from the press and not from the MOD after proper and thorough investigation.
It is one thing to have a policy that does not include the recovery of the remains of fallen servicemen it is entirely another to disseminate false information to the family and wider public. This is an absolute disgrace and the only allegiance shown by the press is to the MOD and not the family of the fallen pilot. How would you feel in their place? it is utterly appalling. All of this on the anniversary of the second battle of Alamein and only a few weeks short of remembrance Sunday. I cannot be the only person that thinks that spending the meager sum of money required to recover and test a sample from the desert seems like a very small price to pay for the sacrifice made by Dennis Copping and his family?

Egyptian P40 scandal article - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=120188)

I believe there are also some issues with the recovered aircraft by the RAFM and its location now sitting in a container outside an Eygptian Museum. I would love to see the RAFM expenditure over this, because it appears as they have paid out and haven't got anything for it.

One hopes someone reading this has some influence to get this guy recovered and properly laid to rest..... :mad:

I wrote to my MP in July to see if I could get some clarification here is the reply I received from Andrew Robathan MP

"I understand that Flt Sgt Copping went missing whilst piloting Kittyhawk ET574 on 28th June 1942. Earlier this year a Kittyhawk aeroplane was found in the Egyptian Sahara desert on the eastern edge of the Great Sand Sea, and subsequent investigations identified it as ET574. Regrettably Flt Sgt Copping was not inside the aircraft. Although it is presently in the El Alamein Museum. It is hoped the the aircraft will be returned eventually to the RAF museum at Hendon.

In June remains were found five kilometres away from the crash site but early indications are that they are not those of Flt Sgt Copping. His family have been traced and advised of these developments, and will continue to be kept updated.
Should the remains of Flt Sgt Copping be found subsequently, in accordance with Ministry of Defence policy in place at the time of his death, he will not be repatriated to the UK. Following the cessation of the Falkland's conflict, the remains of our fallen servicemen and women who die whilst serving overseas are now routinely repatriated to the UK. However, up until the 1960's, the policy of successive British Governments had been to bury personnel in the country where they fell. Therefore, if Flt Sgt Copping is eventually found his body will be buried with full military honours in a Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery in Egypt."

SASless
25th Oct 2012, 00:37
All in All...that sounds rather shabby a way in dealing with the situation.

All those Cemeteries are no longer in countries controlled by the UK.

Why not bring the Remains home and give them a proper burial in the UK?

Certainly it is cheaper than sending a Burial Party to Egypt to do the service.:ugh:

Just This Once...
25th Oct 2012, 07:23
SAS,

Seems like a shambles in this case and I appreciate that the US has a different view but the British tradition is that the fallen inherit the bit of land they are buried in the name of their own country, no matter who has control of it. The modern view may have moved on and the family is rightly at the centre of everything but in its time:

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blessed by the suns of home.
And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts a peace, under an English heaven.

SASless
25th Oct 2012, 11:52
I seem to recall American Troops in Iraq re-working a British Military Cemetery when they discovered it to be in a state of complete abandon. Is that how you wish for your Dead to be remembered....covered in weeds, trash, and garbage?

Recently, I have viewed TV Programs that talked of private citizens caring for American Graves in the Netherlands, France, and Belgium. When you leave your Dead in grateful nations then that might work....but otherwise....perhaps they ought to be brought home.

Don't we owe them that kind of care and duty?

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/87777-u-s-marines-honor-british-soldiers-wwi-cemetery-kut-iraq.html

Heathrow Harry
25th Oct 2012, 12:07
TBH I think the Commonwealth War graves Commission does a fantastic job across the world - I suspect the guys who looked after the Iraqi Cemetry went AWOL BECASUE their were American troops in the vivinity - they do have a rather well known track record of shooting first

I also think the MOD has better things to do than test every dead body found in N Africa to see it is one of ours. Denis Copping has been dead for over 70 years and I doubt he cares one way or the other

Tiger_mate
25th Oct 2012, 13:03
I also think the MOD has better things to do than test every dead body found in N Africa to see it is one of ours. Denis Copping has been dead for over 70 years and I doubt he cares one way or the other

I like to consider that I have broad shoulders when hearing the opinion of others however crass, however I find that paragraph quite offensive. It is no different to a soldier in Helmand being discarded as irrelevent. You should hold your head in shame for time does not dilute the sacrifice given.

500N
25th Oct 2012, 13:09
Tiger

Agree, well said.

What does it cost to provide family closure and someone who served
a decent burial, whether one of ours or another countries. We live in
the freedom we enjoy because of the sacrifices others made.

Re bringing all bodies home, I think we need to look at what the situation
was back in WWII, vastly different to today so understandable.

racedo
25th Oct 2012, 13:30

I CARE.

As do many others including his family.

I believe he would have liked his family to know what had happened to him, and for the country he died fighting to give him respect in Death.

Frankly a minimum of Prime Minister and Member of the Royal family should be present for the return of his body to the UK.

Cameroon talks about remembering those who died in WW1 now he has the chance to show what he thought of those who fought and died in WW2. Burying him in a foreign field just doesn't cut it when he found 70 years after his death.

SASless
25th Oct 2012, 13:36
I always liked that old saw about "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a Fool....than to open it and be known as a Fool."

HH....you do take the prize with that post.....surely that is a case of your Ass talking because your Mouth knows better!

Ripline
25th Oct 2012, 14:12
I can't help but contrast the traditional view that the man is more important than the machine with the willingness to acquire the airframe "for the nation" but not to give any heed to the memory of the serviceman who gave his life after it's last flight.

It also highlights the complete lack of joined-up thinking within officialdom whose mental radar consistantly fails to recognise when they are heading close to a public relations disaster.
I'm not even ex-military, but I am capable of sympathetic outrage alongside those who are...
Ripline

West Coast
25th Oct 2012, 15:46
I'm heartened to read the replies to HH. Glad his opinion is not representitive of at least those on pprune, and hopefully not of decision makers in the MOD.

Sacred duty, be it someone who fell yesterday or a hundred years ago.

Robert Cooper
25th Oct 2012, 15:55
"I also think the MOD has better things to do than test every dead body found in N Africa to see it is one of ours. Denis Copping has been dead for over 70 years and I doubt he cares one way or the other'

What a crass statement! Unbelievable on this forum.

Bob C

Out Of Trim
25th Oct 2012, 16:25
HH, suggest you remove your post.. You're not welcome here!

Foxtrot Oscar old chap!

The MOD should spend a little in research and a decent burial if the remains prove positive!

langleybaston
25th Oct 2012, 19:07
HH post is disgraceful, he should be ejected forthwith. Such dark thoughts are best kept festering in private.

cornish-stormrider
25th Oct 2012, 22:17
seconded - keep drivel like that where it belongs.
not here thank you.

Banter yes, disrespecting the fallen, no.

l.garey
26th Oct 2012, 05:07
HH: no-one is asking the MoD to "test" Dennis Copping's body. If you follow the threads on the Key Forum you will see that we are offering to confirm, or not, whether the bones that have been found are his, or not. No bother to the MoD or anyone else, but decent closure for Dennis's family.

MG
26th Oct 2012, 05:45
Ignoring HH's post, which has diverted the attention away, the original post is a bit of a diatribe. It would be interesting to see the facts without the Daily Mail's slant. Clearly it would appear that the process has not gone too well but has been as easy as implied? I doubt it. I certainly object to the implied criticism toward the RAF Museum as we all know what good work they do. As for where the FS is buried, it is entirely appropriate that he is buried in Egypt, along with his comrades. This is what we did for those who died in the two wars, so we should resist the temptation to apply 21st Century standards in this case. The CWGC look after the graves superbly so we should not be worried about his aftercare.

l.garey
26th Oct 2012, 05:55
Maybe, but no-one has identified Dennis Copping's body yet. We do not know if the bones found a few km from the P-40 are his. There was no excavation in the immediate area of the crash to see if his remains were there.

lj101
26th Oct 2012, 06:55
More details of the discovery here:

http://www.twgpp.org/downloads/news/TWGPP_Newsletter_Summer_2012.pdf

Whenurhappy
26th Oct 2012, 10:00
I support HH in part and must challenge SASLess's version of events: the CWGC does a fantastic job all over the world - sometime under the most trying political circumstances. CWGC has been active in Iraq and Libya, inter alia, to ensure that the cemetaries and the graves therein are restored and looked after, as appropriate.

In this case, clearly attempts will be made to identify the body and to reunite the remains with the pilot's former colleagues, and the interment will be done with the right and proper ceremony. DNA may not necessarily be the panacea, either.

To bring this body back to the UK would be a significant change of policy with unintended consequences; would that mean that WWI remains - found every other week in northern France and Belgium - should also be returned to the UK? What about shipwrecks designated as wargraves? Would families campaign to have relatives disintered and repatriated to the UK?

CWGC Cemetaries - wherever located - are solemn and dignified affairs. They are moving and their enduring legacy, sadly, is the sheer size and scope of them. Moreover, because of their location, they contextualise the loss for future generations.

lj101
26th Oct 2012, 10:40
Armed forces of the British Empire: Imperial War Graves and Cemeteries (http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/wargraves.htm)

1983 saw the construction of a new cemetery in the Falkland Islands. Sixteen families elected to have their family members buried on the island. Many more died on the seas around the islands and whose bodies were never recovered. Sixty four bodies were repatriated by the Ministry of Defence. In fact the CWGC was asked to design and carry out the construction of the cemetery and memorial on the Falkland Islands by the Ministry of Defence. It was not the CWGC's responsibility but it was felt that they had the necessary expertise to advise on such an undertaking.

Blue Beach Cemetery
The Falklands War hinted at the changing moods towards repatriation. In 2003, government policy officially changed in the UK. From that date all servicemen killed in the line of action were to be repatriated to the UK at the government's expense. Most bodies were flown to RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire from that date. A spontaneous and unplanned mark of respect was offered by residents of Wootton Bassett who showed remarkable reverence for service bodies travelling through their town near the base. As a mark of thanks, the town has been awarded the designation Royal Wootton Bassett. Recently, the MoD has switched its repatriation process to RAF Brize Norton and so the remains of service personnel will no longer pass through Royal Wootton Bassett.

Armed Forces Memorial
Family members are given a choice on how they would like the remains of their loved ones to be treated. The Joint Casualty and Compassionate Cell was set up to advise and help families through the procedures and entitlements after having lost a loved one and to put provide support whereever possible. All families are invited to a repatriation ceremony and can choose to have the MoD supply a service headstone, which will be maintained by the MoD in perpetuity, or they can choose their own design in which case they take responsibility for its future upkeep.

Quoted in part as above

Heathrow Harry
26th Oct 2012, 11:16
Ladies & gentlemen

I obviously offended a lot of you with my post but to my mind the original post is typical of the modern hand wringing view of life

Over the last hundred years literally hundreds of thousands of people went out and died for their country in far away places- are we REALLY saying that each and every one MUST be found and returned to the UK??

The important thing is not the physical recovery of bodies but to remember who they were and why they died for us - I have visited a number of Military cemeteries overseas in some strange corners of the world and am always very very moved

I also claim consistency - if I peg out overseas Mrs HH is under strict instructions to leave me where I am - a corner of a foreign field etc

SASless
26th Oct 2012, 11:33
I support HH in part and must challenge SASLess's version of events:

Exactly what is it you challenge in "my version of events"?

Do be specific please.

Genstabler
26th Oct 2012, 13:15
Like Whenurhappy I also agree with much of what HH has posted. It is common sense and in no way disrespectful, though he could have expressed himself a tad more diplomatically in his initial post to avoid the fairly predictable explosion of outrage from the more paranoid and sanctimonious pruners.
As I have dared to give him my qualified support, I expect my own legitimacy will now also be called into question!

SASless
26th Oct 2012, 14:12
We have approximately 400 Staff directly involved in the recovery and return of MIA's from all Wars.

We set a very high value on that sort of thing.....just as we strongly support our returning Veterans with medical care and compensation for wounds.

Our Nation came from Citizen Soldiers taking a stand and fighting....and who have stood up for us down through the years. We see it as a solemn duty to honor our Military especially those who are wounded, killed, or go missing during combat operations.

I guess we just see things a bit differently here than you do in the UK.

JPAC - Mission Overview (http://www.jpac.pacom.mil/index.php?page=mission_overview)

MG
26th Oct 2012, 15:25
HH, thank you for the clarification. i think we are in complete agreement.

Shack37
26th Oct 2012, 15:59
Over the last hundred years literally hundreds of thousands of people went
out and died for their country in far away places- are we REALLY saying that
each and every one MUST be found and returned to the UK??

Your question regarding the hundreds of thousands has absolutely no relevance to the subject of this thread and is best ignored.
Nowhere have I seen here any suggestion that every one must be found and returned to the UK.
What is in debate is the fact that a body has been found that may be that of a member of our armed forces killed during WWII. The norm today is that our people killed overseas are returned to their family for burial where the grave can be visited when desired.
If your final resting place is of no consequence to yourself or your family, that is your choice but please don't deny this choice to others who may feel differently.

As I have dared to give him my qualified support, I expect my own legitimacy will now also be called into question!

Genstabler,
IMHO your legitimacy or lack of has little importance to the theme of this thread.

cockney steve
26th Oct 2012, 16:48
At the risk of provoking even more outrage.......

WAKEY WAKEY the 5h1t5 in Government do not give a flying fxxk about you when you're no use to them.
Look at the piss-poor treatment of those injured in the latest political interventions......we have to rely on a CHARITY being formed by "the great unwashed" (us, joe public) "Help for Heroes"
Casualties and corpses are an inconvenient and costly fallout in the waging of war. The MOD have made that quite clear, they'll do and pay as little as they can to mollify those left behind. The vast majority of casualties in conflicts are victims of political ambition.......let the fxxing politicians go fight their own wars.
If you're prepared to take their shilling, you must accept that you are expendable cannon-fodder...they don't respect you,otherwise they wouldn't treat you like that!

OK, a bit simplistic,but expecting the Gov't to act honourably in this case is pure fantasy.... they're morally bankrupt, the lot of 'em.

VinRouge
26th Oct 2012, 17:54
even worse than that, hfh has taken money from the more traditional service charities.

the cash raised should come from the State, not from charity. the improvements made at hedley court should be paid for the state, as with services provided by the likes of combat stress.

completely agree with the sentiment but I prfer to stick to Supporting the traditional charities, i am hoping the government can be shamed into supporting the sort of things hfh spends its raised cash on.

lj101
26th Oct 2012, 18:05
If you're prepared to take their shilling, you must accept that you are expendable cannon-fodder...they don't respect you,otherwise they wouldn't treat you like that!

Cock

Thanks for your informative view point on HMG's view of 'us'.

Back to the thread, I think it's up to the family to decide what they want if he is proven to be the Flt Sgt mentioned. I'd personally prefer to be buried in the country I died in, if there was anything left that is (of me, not the country). But I'm not sentimental about my body, so chuck it in the sea if its easier.

Beagle: you know who I am, tell me mam to refer to this if you hear news of my demise. :sad:

Clockwork Mouse
26th Oct 2012, 18:07
The country is broke, thanks to Blair, Brown and the bankers, so it's pie in the sky to hope the government will put more money in. I have no problem with charities funding Hedley Court etc. The public who contribute demonstrate their commitment to our service men and women and that is good. The RNLI are also entirely subsidised by charitable donations so the public feel they have a stake. If government were to pay for everything we would have to be communists.

VinRouge
26th Oct 2012, 18:27
we could let wasters starve and cut the likes of child benefit in half. plenty of cash is spent, its just spent on the wrong stuff.

if we are broke, i suggest we pack our backs and f@ck off out of the middle east.