PDA

View Full Version : Chances of employment?

24th Oct 2012, 21:42
I have wanted to be a pilot for as long as I can remember and its coming pretty close to the end of second level education.
I am just wondering
#1 what are my chances of employment on completion of ATPL exams.
#2 How can I increase my chances of employment.
The last thing I want to do it fork out a LOT of money and end up jobless,One last thing,Is the Type Rating Usually paid for by the airline? I know Ryanair don't but that's Ryanair...

Thanks in advance for your feed back!

717tech
25th Oct 2012, 01:25
G'Day
I'm no too sure about your part of the world, but if you look around on these forums, the chances are quite slim it seems. Unfortunately there are too many people who are willing to pay their way into the airlines (including paying for a type course).

Not saying that it won't happen, but before making the decision you need to plan for both cases.

PURPLE PITOT
25th Oct 2012, 07:48
And when you have the licence and ratings, your chance of employment is less than 1 percent!

_ShIfTy_
25th Oct 2012, 08:17
You can Increase you chances by working within the industry before and after your flight training. I did 3 years dispatch before I started flying and went back to it after. Dispatching helped me get a Job and 5 other people I know.

25th Oct 2012, 15:16
So I'll need to pay for a lets say A320 type rating too?

25th Oct 2012, 15:17
Is it really that low!? I often see on Flying Schools websites constant updates on students getting a job at an airline.

RTN11
25th Oct 2012, 22:59
Right now, very few people are going straight from flying school into employment, most will need something extra like instructional hours or already working for an airline in a ground or cabin crew role for a few years.

I often see on Flying Schools websites constant updates on students getting a job at an airline.

But what they don't put up is the total number of students trained, or the number who remain unemployed for years to come. Statistics are a wonderful thing which are easy to manipulate, and raw numbers mean nothing.

If you're only just starting out now, who knows what things will be like in 3-4 years when you qualify. Things were never this bad when I commenced ATPL studies, but took a great turn for the worse. If they were this bad when I first started, I may never have pursued it in the first place.

EZY_FR
26th Oct 2012, 09:06
Now I would take this with a pinch of salt, but according to CTC BA will be running the FPP again later this year. You can maybe do things to demonstrate the traits they are looking for by doing some extra-curricular activities like volunteering?

bex88
27th Oct 2012, 16:40
Thats most probably news to BA. The recent communication I saw said no DEP and they expect to take some of the graduating FPP cadets.....some? I think the best advice is go for it because you will always wonder what if BUT dont bet the house on it and don't put yourself into debt you cant repay with your backup plan. I would agree things are hard but most of the guys I graduated with are in flying jobs of some sort.