PDA

View Full Version : Airfield inside volcano?

flyer2308
11th Apr 2002, 15:01
Hey every1

I recently read somewhere about an airfield that is situated inside an inactive volcano.

After t/o you have to circle whilst continiously climbing to get out of the volcano!!

Can't remember where i read it or the name of it?

Anyone help???

Flyer2038
xx

DavidLucas2002
11th Apr 2002, 15:12
Hi i saw some thing like that on Tv D-wings(SKY) if that helps?

D.Lucas

RadarContact
11th Apr 2002, 17:05
Although not in a volcano, Kathmadu Airport does have a similar departure procedure. Circling climb until high enough to continue climbing through a valley :)

flyer2308
11th Apr 2002, 18:10
Could be that one i read about.

Anyone else any ideas?

Flyer2308
xx

kabz
11th Apr 2002, 18:16
Watching James Bond films again, huh ?

twistedenginestarter
11th Apr 2002, 22:58
Volcanos are the C150s of the eruptional world. The Daddys are called calderas and fool you by not sticking up. As they are warmer than the surrounding countryside, they tend to attract simple minded creatures of the homo sapiens sapiens species in conurbations loads. I can't quote you any but I bet some major airports are sitting on these mammoth time bombs.

Pom Pax
12th Apr 2002, 04:27
Rabaul, P.N.G., not major but whole town and both air and sea ports inside the caldera. Pretty active.

OzExpat
12th Apr 2002, 19:59
Think I'd have to agree with Pom Pax on that. Here's a couple of examples to look at...

Blowing off some steam (http://www.fototime.com/C83CE3CAF6E0166/standard.jpg) and the end of a blow (http://www.fototime.com/8372242703FBA47/standard.jpg). Both photos depict Mount Tavurvur, which is basically nothing more than a steam hole on the side of a massive caldera. The caldera opened to the sea at some stage in pre-history, allowing the formation of what is now known as Blanche Bay or Rabaul Harbour, or...

Anyway, the whole Rabaul township and docks sits right on the bay and, therefore right on the lip of this ancient caldera. About the only thing different is that, after take-off, it's not necessary to orbit up over the town/airport before setting course.

All the instrument approaches to the new Rabaul airport (Tokua) warn of active volcanoes in close proximity. That makes it real nice :eek: when you can't see where you're going... :D And, yeah, before anyone else pipes up, I'm the bloke who put those warnings on the charts.

Tinstaafl
12th Apr 2002, 22:35
Oy! Oz! Couldn't you have just designed an approach that avoids them in the first place!? :rolleyes: :D :D

OzExpat
13th Apr 2002, 11:30
Tinny ... yeah mate, probably. But it was more fun this way! :eek: