PDA

View Full Version : Live from Inside an F15

ORAC
23rd Oct 2012, 12:22
DefenseNews: Live from Inside an F-15 (http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts/2012/10/live-from-inside-an-f-15/)

Chances are that most people reading this have never flown an F-15. Thanks to a couple of creative pilots, however, you can get a sense of what it’s like to be in one of the jets while “raging like demons from hell in the skies over the Pacific Ocean.”

Below is video shot almost exclusively from inside the cockpit of an F-15. It’s an amazing piece of work, supposedly stitched together over the course of a year with a small video camera wielded by the pilots. You’ll get to see what takeoff looks like, how the jets get fueled, and what a dogfight really looks like (with the bonus of not being shot at.)

The video is a little old, but worth a look. The full description from the video’s page on YouTube:

This video was created to commemorate the 67FS winning the 2011 Raytheon Trophy for outstanding aerial achievement, given to the top air-to-air squadron in the USAF.

The footage was shot over 1 year of flying with a Sony HD Handycam and GOPRO Hero. The footage was shot entirely by pilots, no combat camera personnel were used. The video was edited with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD over 2 weeks by Jersey.

Footage includes flying and aircraft from both the 67FS “Fighting Cocks” and the 44FS “Vampire Bats”, entirely on location at Kadena AB, Japan. Most of the over water footage was filmed while we were raging like demons from hell in the skies over the pacific ocean like our brothers did 70 years before us.

alwayslookingup
23rd Oct 2012, 14:08
Marvellous, ORAC, thanks for posting. Brightened up a very dull (literally and metaphorically) day here in North East Scotland.

If you have watched it yet, set aside a bit of "me" time and turn up the speakers. Pour yourself a small one and indulge. I know it's only 9m 48s (bit short for a snifter) but hey, who said you can't watch it twice.

Courtney Mil
23rd Oct 2012, 14:16
Drink faster then.

alwayslookingup
23rd Oct 2012, 22:48
Hey, I was trying to be a gent about it, CM. Not all of us have had the privilege of flying such a warbird and yes, I've read your blog, thoroughly enjoyed it, too.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
23rd Oct 2012, 23:11
Thanks for the post ORAC. A great reminder.
Unlike Courtney I only got one trip in the Eagle, but at least it was DACT and I got to pull 9G and Fox 2 an F16.

More good video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m15Jd1A5OPU

BEagle
24th Oct 2012, 07:24
Excellent - congratulations to the 67FS on their award.

The F-15C. If Carlsberg made fighters.......

You lucky sod, Courtney!

Courtney Mil
24th Oct 2012, 08:21
I'd rather be lucky than good. Yes, it was an honour.

airpolice
24th Oct 2012, 10:27
I couldn't take the music so I only watched a little of it.

fallmonk
24th Oct 2012, 16:33
Stunning video, am in awe of all you lucky guys n girls who get to do this on a day to day basis :ok:

Geehovah
24th Oct 2012, 19:43
Unlike Courtney and Fox3wheresmybanana I only got one trip in an F16 and no trip in an F15 despite all the promises at Nellis. I still got to pull 9G and virtually pass out in the process. Oh but it was a lot easier in a Typhoon but I only got one trip in that too!

SOSL
25th Oct 2012, 06:51
Fantastic videos! Great respect to all the flyers. I am so proud that we enabled you guys to do such exciting things with our machines.

Rgds SOS

seafuryfan
25th Oct 2012, 18:36
Only the Flanker comes close to the F-15 in terms of looks, in my opinion. What an aircraft.

BEagle
25th Oct 2012, 18:59
I couldn't take the music so I only watched a little of it.

airpolice, if you've really been 'Banished to the pointless forest', then chat with the Rockman - he'll soon put you right about music.... "Say, what's happenin' with you boy? You look like you pretty shook up - you bin goofin' with the bees?"

(Nilsson, for the ignorante)

maxred
25th Oct 2012, 20:45
(Nilsson, for the ignorante)

Ah, wanted to be a spaceman, that's all I wanted to be, but now that I am a spaceman, nobody wants me..........

The French AF link is a truly cracking video:ok:

tom3
25th Oct 2012, 23:44
The French AF link is a truly cracking videoRidiculously well produced.