PDA

View Full Version : ETOPS Question

iko wapi choo
22nd Oct 2012, 21:00
Ok, was having a discussion about ETOPS with a friend today. If say your airline was certified ETOPS 180 and a particular route could be achieved using ETOPS 138, would you dispatch at 138 or have more flexibility with ETPs' by dispatching at 180? I understand British Airways dispatch all of their ETOPS flights at 180 regardless.... what are the benefits of dispatching using a lesser time rule (if the route allows) apart from a potential saving on crit fuel?

bvcu
22nd Oct 2012, 21:41
some MEL considerations.

iko wapi choo
23rd Oct 2012, 08:27
Any reason other than the obvious MEL restrictions..... (the initial post states any benefits..)

Bil11
1st Nov 2012, 12:36
The main reason for using less ETOPS diversion time is to carry less fuel -Critical fuel. However, airlines find that this approach offers more comfort to pilots, adding to the MEL comment stated above.

vipero
8th Nov 2012, 19:47
Reducing the diversion time would mean using more alternates, then less chances to have additional fuel due critical scenario.
Furthermore, considering the pilots point of view, I've always preferred to give them more choices if available.
They are supposed to use one of those alternates because one engine is out and maybe a decompression as well.
2 or 3 etp's instead of one, whenever possible, are a benefit in my opinion.