PDA

View Full Version : Mod Int & P2F who got a job

Jugs08
22nd Oct 2012, 20:05
Just doing a bit of research and would be interested to hear from you if you have got a job by:

Modular
Intergrated (no tagged schemes)
P2F ( on completion of hours or contract)
Internally ( by working for the company)
FI to Jet

Within Jan 1st 2011 to present

Thanks as it would really help my next steps and a lot of others.

Artie Fufkin
22nd Oct 2012, 20:52
You really, really shouldn't make any big decisions based on things you read on this site, no matter how convincing.

RTN11
22nd Oct 2012, 21:07
You really, really shouldn't make any big decisions based on things you read on this site, no matter how convincing.

Amen to that! :}

I personally worked as an instructor for over 3 years, loved every minute and would love to have made a career of it, but the money just isn't enough to live on so moved on when a suitable airline job came up. I was patient, and always had this timescale as my basic plan.

This won't work for everyone. Not everyone can be an instructor, it takes an immense amount of dedication or you simply lose the will to live over the lack of flying, or alternatively you milk every student for all their worth flying in weather where you can't teach a damn thing and then you have no business being an instructor at all.

I'd say in the airline I'm in just now I know an equal number of people who:

A) followed the same route as me

B) integrated with low hours when taken on

C) modular with low hours when taken on

D) knew someone within the industry, or were already working for the company in ground ops or cabin crew

There is no magic formula, it's just being in the right place at the right time with the right experience which a particular airline is looking for. From what I've seen of the industry, most airlines like to keep a fairly mixed pool of people from different backgrounds, as it build good CRM and gives many answers to the same problem, which can only enhance safety.

cirrus_
22nd Oct 2012, 22:11
at best pprune is exactly that a rumour network, most of the inaccurate post's take place in the wannabees forum. so I would take the advice with a pinch of salt.

I personally dont think it matters regarding modular or intergrated.

P2F is starting to die out now as more and more low hour guys are applying and failing to perform to the required standard, its becomming a waste of time for some airlines.

FI to jets is the propper way to do it, going up in aircraft size gradually.

good luck with it

cyrilroy21
23rd Oct 2012, 04:40
Please dont sell your self for the opportunity to fly an airplane thereby degrading the careers of your fellow pilots

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/398178_485712451463362_738714198_n.jpg

After you build experience you will be the person wearing the white shirt in the above picture .
What goes around , comes around.....

CAT3C AUTOLAND
23rd Oct 2012, 19:42
I dont think anyone can make such a bold statement as to say 'this is the best way to do it'. It really is horses for courses and is all down to peoples circumstances.

I would speak with as many people who have been there and done it as possible, from lots of different back rounds, and draw your conclusions from the portfolio of information you gather.

This business is all about making sensible and mature decisions, and I wish you all the best with it.

Cheers.

Dan the weegie
23rd Oct 2012, 20:13
Jugs, I know folk who fall into all of those categories :) and some in between :).

taxistaxing
24th Oct 2012, 11:55
I personally worked as an instructor for over 3 years, loved every minute and would love to have made a career of it, but the money just isn't enough to live on so moved on when a suitable airline job came up. I was patient, and always had this timescale as my basic plan.

RTN11, I think from previous posts that your background was modular. Would you mind sharing more details on the type of airline you found a job with, and was this pre 2008? Sounds like you've come up trumps :D.

Your route is pretty much the route I would hope to follow... But one which is clearly more difficult these days than previously.

RTN11
24th Oct 2012, 16:28
It was mid 2010 for a UK turboprop airline. There are jobs out there, but not all are advertised. Sending cvs blindly may work, didn't for me, but I found picking the airline you really want to work for and then getting a contact or some other way in really helped. All airlines have different requirements, so you will never appeal to all, I'd certainly say I wouldn't appeal to Ryanair as a candidate (although again, I never applied to them).

Once you know who you really want to work for, you can spend time building the type of experience and CV that you know would appeal to them, and that's your way in.

taxistaxing
25th Oct 2012, 16:15
Good to hear some positivity for once... And shows that it can be done. Networking is obviously a key part of it in the current market and I can well imagine instructing is a good way to start that process.

Then the question becomes - do you think it has been worth it!?!?!