PDA

View Full Version : Zurich Insurance Loss of Licence

MSTONE
22nd Oct 2012, 17:44
Hi Fellow Aviators:

Looking to join EK shortly and received some info from the Zurich Insurance group who indicated they are looking launch (in the coming months) a new income protection policy for the pilots at EK.

Anyone have any feedback regarding dealings with Zurich?

scandistralian
22nd Oct 2012, 19:14
EK have an arrangement in the employment contract to pay for loss of licence, also there is LIPSEK; Loss of Income Protection for Emirates Pilots (http://www.lipsek.org/)

I havent heard of anyone using Zurich, but would be interested to hear if anyone has some more info?

final06
22nd Oct 2012, 21:48
I recommend to stay clear of Zuerich Versicherung.

A close friend of mine lost his medical more than 10 years ago and Zuerich Versicherung dragged him through every court instance in Germany up to the highest court.

They lost all in all stages. Still they are now claiming for procedural errors.

For my friend and his family and kids this ordeal is an absolute nightmare!

Myself I am insured with a similar model as stated before "from pilots for pilots" which works nicely in my company.

final06
23rd Oct 2012, 07:28
May be better to also stay clear of LIPS...

Excerpt from LIPS conditions:

"
10.3 No benefits shall be payable to or in respect of a Member where their disability or death arises from:

10.3.1 any pre-existing condition being any injury, physical condition, illness, disease or other condition that was evident, diagnosed, treated or regarding which advice for treatment was sought or for which a medical practitioner was consulted during the 36 months prior to becoming a Member of the Scheme;

10.3.2 any self inflicted condition being any injury, physical condition, illness, disease or other condition which was deliberately caused inflicted or contracted by the Member, including any conditions associated with smoking or obesity; :eek:

10.3.3 any psychological disorder (unless caused by a physical injury);

etc etc..."

Dropp the Pilot
23rd Oct 2012, 07:53
LIPS payout conditions are moot. You will get nothing from LIPS unless the company pays your loss of license benefit. It is either a both (EK/LIPS) payout or a zero payout.

You may ask around to see which of those two outcomes is more common amongst those who have lost their medicals.

MSTONE
24th Oct 2012, 16:59
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

scandistralian, if you want some info about the Zurich plan just email them at [email protected]

It's not the cheapest policy, but at least it has Zurich's financial backing and apparently covers pre-exsisting conditions.

final06
28th Oct 2012, 16:06
Actually it is the most expensive policy in aviation.

Simply because they will never pay in case you lose your licence.

(@mstone: your propaganda does not work here...!)

BobDole
29th Oct 2012, 04:41
Has anyone signed up for IPEP? Or heard anything about it?

Top Cover Direct (http://www.ipep.ae/topcover_emirates.html)

I have lips, but it might not hurt to have a backup if things dont work out as promised.

Sonny Hammond
29th Oct 2012, 09:15
Insurance for insurance?

helen-damnation
29th Oct 2012, 10:06
Last I heard IPEP will only pay a max of 5 years. LIPS I think until age 60 (tbc).

However, their life cover appeared to be good value :eek: