PDA

View Full Version : Just Got My PPL, Now What??

Con_G
22nd Oct 2012, 02:14
So as the title says I passed the flight test on Saturday and will soon hold a brand new shiny PPL. But, where do I go from here? I have a decent non-aviation job that funds my flying so not looking to fly for a living. I have done all the nav training in a C182 so I already have CSU checked off. I am thinking either a NVFR then PIFR or CIR, or maybe go in a different direction and do multi/retractable.

From what I understand the PIFR is done in modules starting with enroute IFR then adding approach/departure e.c.t, where as the CIR is done all in one hit. Other than this what are the differences, I have been advised against doing the PIFR by more that one person.

So what have other people in my circumstances done and would you do it again?

The Green Goblin
22nd Oct 2012, 06:23
Go out, consolidate with some command time and work out what you want to do.

As a PPL you won't fly proper IFR enough to remain proficient in instrument approaches and procedures. It's hard enough as a professional pilot. The private instrument rating is a joke.

Work out what you want to achieve out of your flying (fly ins, aero club, aerobatics, cross country week enders, ownership etc) and pursue it.

Chances are you'll end up like most weekend warriors. It becomes too expensive, the regulatory environment becomes to much a burden and you become to busy living to keep it up.

I'd look into RAA, aerobatics or gliding if it were me recreationally flying.

Aussie Bob
22nd Oct 2012, 07:06
The Goblin has said it all in one line ... I agree, go get some command time with non piloting friends, see the countryside, visit somewhere, just get command time. In my opinion, continually flying with instructors can be counter productive, for a while anyway. Go use your PPL!

Frank Arouet
22nd Oct 2012, 07:12
While you have the youth to do so, "DIVERSIFY".

Get a Masters certificate for a boat or a degree in "political science" so you have something to fall back on.

Take your folks up North for a treat and don't get married.

And wash your hands before dinner and shut the gates.

Good luck with whatever you do buddy.

scrufflefish
22nd Oct 2012, 09:40
Get a tailwheel endorsement. In a DH82. Then try keeping the smile off your face!

Tankengine
22nd Oct 2012, 09:45
After you have your tailwheel endorsement, front up to your nearest gliding club.
Do at least enough gliding to go solo and then do a towing rating.:E
When you are not in the tug then do some gliding!:ok:

Frank Arouet
22nd Oct 2012, 10:17
Get a tailwheel endorsement. In a DH82.

Tail skid if you don't mind!

NzCaptainAndrew
22nd Oct 2012, 10:37
If you have money to spare, go for a CPL then a MECIR afterwards, I did mine integrated and got rushed through all my flight tests and I feel as if I could have/should have taken my time, could of learnt a lot more.

Once you do commit to a MECIR - do whatever it takes to keep it current.:ok:

Con_G
22nd Oct 2012, 10:50
What do I want from avaition? Weekenders with the family, (I am married with two kids), the occasional flyaway, and I have couple of friends that have moved into country NSW (Mudgee and Grenfell) that I'd like to visit occasionally, maybe the odd hunting/fishing trip with a mate or 2. Not really interested in doing aeros, and RAA aircraft are too small for anything useful. So you can see why I want to go down the touring path which is why I thought some kind of instrument rating would have been good, but now its sounding a bit too hard. Maybe NVFR when daylight saving ends then a retract/multi rating down the track a bit.

Oh and yes I am going to do a bit command flying for now, just have to wait for CASA to do their thing, whatever it is they do, how long does it usually take em anyway?

Con_G
22nd Oct 2012, 10:57
On a side note, anyone got any tips of places to fly for a day trip out of Sydney, somewhere maybe an hour or 2 away we can go have a nice lunch or something??

xxgoldxx
22nd Oct 2012, 12:16
Go do a long nav by yourself or with some non pilot friends... Like east coast to Perth return.. In the deep end and figure it out... Awesome experience...

roundsounds
22nd Oct 2012, 12:20
Go and build up some command time in something without too many gadgets - develop some good DR skills. Maybe then a tailwheel, aerobatic and formation endorsement if you get bored flying straight and level from A to B. If you want to fly IFR just do it in a simulator!

slackie
22nd Oct 2012, 14:04
Do yourself a favour and go get some aerobatic training and learn how to REALLY fly... don't get suckered into doing 1 hour thousands of times... that's hardly building experience and expertise!:ok::}

Hasherucf
22nd Oct 2012, 14:21
I say retire now and become a full time troll..... errrr I mean expert commentator on pprune :E

Aussie Bob
22nd Oct 2012, 19:33
On a side note, anyone got any tips of places to fly for a day trip out of Sydney

North to Old Bar, south to Merimbula, west to Cootamundra, all are walking distance to somwhere. There is another thread here somewhere where the same is discussed and heaps more someone may add .... Enjoy.

Tonym3
22nd Oct 2012, 20:13
Mudgee has a very nice winery/restaurant within easy walk of the airport.

gileraguy
22nd Oct 2012, 21:49
Forget falling back on a Political Science Degree. They ARE interesting though.