PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H)/FRTOL Application

pplh
21st Oct 2012, 22:52
Please to say I passed my PPL(H) skills test today, the end of a lot of hard work that I managed to drag out over nearly 4 years! Great feeling!

I'm in a bit of a hurry to get my paperwork to the CAA with my exam 24 months deadline fast approaching but am yet to take my FRTOL radiotelephony practical test, the last piece of the jigsaw.

I was under the impression that I was able to apply for my PPL(H) license now to make sure I'm within my 24 months and then apply for my FRTOL at a later date (even if it means retaking a comms written exam). I thought the CAA can still issue a PPL(H) without requiring a FRTOL and that the FRTOL can be applied for later on a separate form (and of course for an extra fee). This would make sense seeing as certain combinations of license/aircraft/airspace don't actually require you to have a FRTOL to fly at all- the two are somewhat unrelated in this respect.

However, I keep being told I'm wrong. I've looked through CAP 804 and CAP 413 but to no avail. I know it would be ideal to have the FRTOL with the rest of the paperwork, but under the most up to date EASA regs is it actually required for issue of a PPL(H)?

Your words of wisdom appreciated as always.