PDA

View Full Version : Cayman Islands Registration

HermanTheGerman
21st Oct 2012, 19:33
Hi there, I am really frustated. Last year I bought an aircraft for a private owner, I was employed by him with saying "once per year simulator training". We put the aircraft on cayman's register and everything went well.
When our annual check came up the owner cancelled everything (contract with training organisation was already signed) and we did the checkride on the aircraft. That was in nov. 2011. In the meantime I received many emails from Caymans authority, telling me about OTAR 125 requirements and that we need annual sim-training and and and. So I told the owner many times about that and that we need the training- and in the end I got fired. Then I called Caymans asking why nobody cares and why the new pilot can have his validation although he never saw a sim- and the answer was "well indeed we insist on annual sim training but we don't check it". Right now the aircraft is still flying, no sim training at all, I don't care anymore because I go twice per year now with my new employer- but all in all that is not right. The conclusion is- if I ever buy an aircraft again, it will never go on Caymans register. What is your experience?

what next
21st Oct 2012, 20:12
...was on the German register...

It has NOT been on the German (or any) register for many years. It was an exhibit from a museum that just happened to have a German registration number painted on it's fin.

Regarding Cayman: The only reason I can think of why anybody puts his aircraft on that register is tax evasion. Taxes that people like you and I have to pay instead of someone who can afford to buy and maintain a multi-million $/Euro/Pound aircraft.

HermanTheGerman
22nd Oct 2012, 08:11
It seems a bit harsh to blame the regulator when it is someone else ignoring the rules.

I am blaming the regulator because the regulator insisted on annual sim training in my conversation with them and now I find out that they don't care at all. if this aircraft falls out of the sky- what then?

jr of dallas
22nd Oct 2012, 09:08
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but the German LBA wich is not exactly coconuts and bananas allows LPC of JAR 25 Acfts on the plane itselfs not on the Sim ( that is nuts without playing with words)...so why are you so surprised about the Caymans?

His dudeness
22nd Oct 2012, 09:24
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but the German LBA wich is not exactly coconuts and bananas allows LPC of JAR 25 Acfts on the plane itselfs not on the Sim ( that is nuts without playing with words)...so why are you so surprised about the Caymans?

I won`t be a defender of the LBA usually, but when I ran a JAROPS operation and they demanded sumthing and found it missing, then they checked it the next time around. Usually they would demand that thing first as a fax and then check it when physically at our place.

Having said that, 'they' allowed the organization next door to us to operate an airplane without runway factors (private) which they denied us. Client went to the other ops with his airplane. Different inspector, same set of rules applied differently...

So I`d think they are about the same level. If I recall my experiences with the LBAs airman certifications department the last 1-2years then I would go so far and say they are even worse...

NuName
22nd Oct 2012, 11:45
Pardon me if my memory is not serving me well but, for Cayman and Bermuda dont you have to submit your training rcords to renew your validation, I'm sure I had to do this, I certainly have to for I.O.M.

HermanTheGerman
22nd Oct 2012, 19:36
it looks like i am speaking a different language. you don't understand?

Again:

CAA wrote to me, sending all their requirements in written form, incl OTAR documents, clearly saying "for CAA validation or renewal we definetly require annual sim training".

and the truth is: they don't care at all.

and is the LBA involved? not at all!

so difficult?

jr of dallas
22nd Oct 2012, 20:08
Relax Herman....just relax ;)

NuName
22nd Oct 2012, 20:45
Not difficult at all, either you have to submit your training records or you dont, if someone else is flying the aircraft and they didnt then surely you could have done the same, or are you saying that the Cayman's clearly just dont want to give you a validation. Or did the other pilot have paperwork that you just dont know about?

His dudeness
22nd Oct 2012, 22:56
What I find funny is the fact that right next door to our hangar there is a Cay reg Excel....these dudes do get audited annually. From what they say the inspection is very thorough...

All hearsay, of course...

I was not saying the LBA are involved, all I was trying to do in my clumsy way was to say the villains are not the Cayman regulators but the operators who choose not to follow the rules

Sure sure, but he was saying the VP-C CAA demands things, but never checks if they are done. Thats something different, innit?

HermanTheGerman
23rd Oct 2012, 04:08
Or did the other pilot have paperwork that you just dont know about?

I do know by 100% that the copilot's last checkride in the sim was in 2010 and the captain has never been in the sim for this aircraft.

NuName
23rd Oct 2012, 07:05
Then, simply put, you could have done the same.

HermanTheGerman
23rd Oct 2012, 07:16
when I applied for CAA vaidation in 2011, my last sim check was just a few weeks old.

but that is not the question in this thread :ugh:

jr of dallas
23rd Oct 2012, 08:00
Yes, but what about the LBA Herman ?

His dudeness
23rd Oct 2012, 10:42
Then, simply put, you could have done the same.

Yeah he could. Only he didn`t know that at the time, me thinks.

Demanding simtraining etc from the owner as the 'middleman' and getting kicked out for that and then seeing the successor get away with it is surely not nice...

jr of dallas
23rd Oct 2012, 13:47
and what about the LBA?:oh:

Globalstream
23rd Oct 2012, 17:07
HTG

Yes, it`s all a sham. The consistency, fairness and merits of CAAs aside, why don`t you just drop an E-mail to the insurers if you can remember them. Afterward, move on...

pinnball
26th Oct 2012, 10:02
Herman, it seems to be you are a bit confussed with the CAACI rules and OTAR!

1. It depends on your license. For example: You hold a valid german issued JAA ATP lic. with a valid T/R in it and you insist to fly a VP-C reg. aircraft based in germany!
Than you only need to send the validation application form, a notariced (or TRE stamped) copy of your lic medical and a letter of the owner to the CAACI. Thats it.
2. OTAR! Yes OTAR is a bit more complicate but first: If you want to push your owner to act under OTAR requirements than firstly he has to apply for OTAR 125 and OTAR 39 and do all the paperwork that we all hate.
Because to apply the OTAR rules you need a company FOM! first. And there you can define your own trainings manual and trainings devices.
For example: What if there is no simulator for your aircraft! Like the Mitsubish Diamond Mu300 (there is worldwide only 1 simulator - FAA approved. With a german JAA license you are not approved to do the LPC check on it to revalidate your T/R)
Therefore you can write that information in your own FOM and send it to the CAACI to get it approved. After approval act like written.

I know it is much more complicate with OTAR, but I figured out at the final end VP-C reg is easy to handle when you know whom to speak on that island.
And it is not the CAACIs fold, that your owner doesn`t take care of the rules. Finaly there are AUDITHs! needed to get the next CofA approved because of missing OTAR requirements it wouldn`t be possible for him. So if that guys doesn`t take care of the requirements he will be stucked on the ground latest by next year.

I know that doesn`t helps you right now, but it should give you a picture of what are the options.

If somebody has questions how to handle cayman islands reg. feel free to ask me. I am dealing with those people for several years

Rgds

HermanTheGerman
26th Oct 2012, 21:09
sorry pinnball,
but it looks like you didn't look closely enough on what I wrote. Or I am really talking another language, as I already mentioned earlier.
1. I never insisted anywhere that the aircraft is based in Germany because it is not.
2. CAA authority sent the OTAR requirements to me insisting that we stick to them and go to the sim anually
3. FOM etc: all done
4. approval: done
5. yes I really know who to speak to
6. audit? happened after I was fired. They are still flying without sim training as I mentioned before
so probably now you will understand why I am really p****d.

Coolmore M.
27th Oct 2012, 01:48
it seems to be you are a bit confussed with the CAACI rules and OTAR!

Pinball, to the best of my knowledge, CI is on overseas territory, meaning the OTAR's are obligatory.

Furthermore a CofA renewal is a survey of the airworthiness of the aircraft and not the crew.