PDA

View Full Version : Pilot/electrician

Bushsparky
21st Oct 2012, 08:23
Hi all ,*

I am an *electrician and just gained my PPL , I am hopping to get a job with an electrical contractor and fly to remote locations and carry out electrical work*

Does anyone know anyone in QLD or NT who does this type of work and has there own aircraft and operates in the private category?*

Hasselhof
21st Oct 2012, 12:35
Maybe someone like TEX Onsite would be worth a look. They advertise on AFAP fairly frequently, use light twins and do electrical work.

avconnection
21st Oct 2012, 13:04
Bushsparky, have you considered finding your own sparky work in the bush providing sub and contract work off your own back? The mobility side of things will ensure the work, how its managed is up to you. Private is fine, I've worked through this with students pilots in the past who already had the work and needed the flexibility of their own aircraft (and license).

Even in yearly accessible but remote parts of regional WA getting a sparky can be almost impossible.

Hasselhof
21st Oct 2012, 23:49
Maybe someone like TEX Onsite would be worth a look. They advertise on AFAP fairly frequently, use light twins and do electrical work.

Today for example (http://www.afap.org.au/Jobs/Latest-Jobs/AFAP-Pilot-Jobs-.asp)

displaced gangster
22nd Oct 2012, 02:37
Hi Bushsparky,

There are numerous companies that utilise aircraft to support their "bushwork", don't limit yourself to just electrical contractors.

I did something similar, the only problem for you is that the flying aspect will hook you into wanting to fly full time! And you will spend a considerable amount of money on CPL/ATPL & CIR. As a minimum ensure you get a night rating and find an experienced bush pilot to show you the ropes (remote area navigation and fuel management etc).

My advice would be to contact as many remote and regional based construction and maintenance companies, (NT,QLD,WA,SA) and persevere with your applications.

You will find a relatively high staff turnover with this line of work, this will work to your advantage to get a foot in the door.

:ok:

Bushsparky
22nd Oct 2012, 10:02
Thanks for you comments and suggestions guys

gileraguy
22nd Oct 2012, 21:57
And dare I add it, get someone to proof read your emails.

I knew a personnel manager who'd bin your application for grammatical errors like your OP.

Just trying to help...

RENURPP
22nd Oct 2012, 22:28
I knew a personnel manager who'd bin your application for grammatical errors like your OP

Sounds like the sort of person I wouldn't chose to work for:yuk:

Try Castle contracting in Darwin. Electrical contractors with own aircraft for remote work.

CoodaShooda
22nd Oct 2012, 23:14
Complete Air is a mech/elec company running a C402 and C182. Might also be worth a try.

There's an industry website, here (http://www.accreditation.com.au), that lists most of the major contractors operating in the NT.

Looks like they're having problems with their search function this morning but might offer up some potential contacts for you when its back up and running.