PDA

View Full Version : Go-around from an engine-out approach

judge11
20th Oct 2012, 22:07
Two questions assuming a go-around from DA:

1. Does the flap retract schedule as per the inital EFATO have to be flown with the use of the intermediate speeds (Vfto to whatever altitude followed by Ver to MSA) or can one accelerate as per a normal departure?

2. Is the standard missed approach flown or, if there is an emergency turn procedure associated with the runway, is that ETP profile flown?

I seem to recall from the dim and distant past that engine-out go-around from DA negated the need for the ETP but I've come across differing opinions from the cognoscenti of differing airlines operating the same aircraft.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

mad_jock
20th Oct 2012, 22:24
its an ops manual job.

And if you have some penius in charge of writing the manuals it can be completely different to what the POM tells you to do. You can have every pilot in the fleet saying its a load of rubbishdoesn't matter

Then it depends on the day which TRE you get for a check.

Then if the poo hits the fan if you live to tell the tale you did it correctly if you don't you did it wrong.

parabellum
20th Oct 2012, 23:00
As far as the emergency turn is concerned I have always understood that you would follow it with an engine out in case you have obstacle clearance considerations, quite possible even though it is a GA and not an EFATO and in case you were four engined and lost a second during the GA I would say you definitely require to follow the ET.

meatlover
20th Oct 2012, 23:18
I'm only a newbie but I will try to contribute with what I've been taught, and with how I understand it.

The way I've been taught is, if you are overweight, in single engine, you do not follow the published MA, but a procedure turn, or the engine out SID(our company has a customized one for the airfields we fly to).
If you were not overweight, the same customized chart has a temperature limit, if above that temperature, you again do not follow the published MA.
Both cases, acceleration alt and flaps retraction are at 1500 AGL for us.

In any other case we will follow the published MA.
Retraction of flaps will be at the acceleration altitude (final GA altitude).

ironbutt57
21st Oct 2012, 01:11
Judge...as per procedures at my present employer the engine out SID (if it exists at a specific airport) is to be followed in the event of efato AND engine out go-around/ however..if the engine failure occurs after the normal SID/published missed approach procedure has commenced then the normal procedure is to be continued...attempting to revert from a published SID/MAP to an engine-out SID could possibly lead to loss of terrain separation..have found the above to be the case at all my previous and current jet operators..

rudderrudderrat
21st Oct 2012, 01:46
Hi Judge,

We calculate our Engine Out Approach Climb gradient and see if it exceeds the published required gradient for the Approach. If that's the case, then we fly the published GA procedure but delay the acceleration until we are above MSA. The next option is to modify the DA (e.g. See ZRH).

If necessary we would fly the Emergency Turn Procedure published for take off and advise ATC before hand.