PDA

View Full Version : B2 Engineer? Help

Curious_Engineer
20th Oct 2012, 21:32
Hi all.

There is a lot of mess going in my mind regarding the B2 licensed aircraft engineer. The information on internet seems to be confusing rather than helping.

Basically i have done my electronics engineering with majors in avionics recently. I don't have any kind of aircraft maintenance experience. Following are my some questions, and i would be thankful if some one can sort them out.

1. What is the difference between PART 66 and PART 147?
2. What are the A,B and C categories?
3. What makes an engineer eligible to get his B2 licence?

Thanks in advance..

easaman
21st Oct 2012, 13:07
Have a look here, there is a detailed information!
www.easa-66.eu (http://www.easa-66.eu/)

Cheers
Otmar

Dougie_diesel
21st Oct 2012, 13:50
Hi Curious,

I'll put it VERY very simply for now, as judging by your questions, there is still a lot of research to be done. But this should get you started.

1) Part-66 - is the regulations under which, an engineer can certify aircraft work.

Part-145 - is the regulations under which an aircraft is maintained at a maintenance facility.

Part 147 - is the regulations under which theoretical material is taught/examined i.e Part-66 license modules, aircraft type courses.

2) CAT A - Engineer can certify 'limited & simple' tasks which the engineer has carried out personally. i.e wheels, brakes, light bulbs, cabin defects.

CAT B1 - Engineer can certify all engine, airframe and electrical work carried out by anyone. (including a lot of avionic tasks too!)

CAT B2 - Engineer can certify all electrical & avionic system work carried out by anyone.

CAT C - Engineer can release an aircraft from a major maintenance check. CAT C is granted in time and requires no extra study.

CAT A & CAT B1 are further divided into :-

A1 & B1.1 - Turbine engined aircraft
A2 & B1.2 - Piston engined aircraft
A3 & B1.3 - Turbine engined helicopters
A4 & B1.4 - Piston engined helicopters

B2 is applicable across all aircraft & helicopters (probably because you don't need to know as much :E)

3) A person is eligible to hold a CAT A, B1 or B2 license after completing all of the applicable multiple choice & essay style examinations, and proving, in the style of a signed logbook, the amount of time required to hold the license type. (the amout of time varies depending on the license being applied for, and how you go about sitting the exams)

To actually sign off a maintenance task you will have to complete a type course for the applicable aircraft, then obtain a company approval.

Hope all this helps, no doubt someone will post pages and pages of regulations to demonstrate their knowlage, but that will probably only confuse you just now!

Capot
21st Oct 2012, 18:12
Dougie's summary is admirable, but I think that you need to know a bit more to bring it into focus, in spite of Douggie's final comment!

The European Aviation Safety Agency EASA produces Regulations that are in force in all EU States (27).

These Regulations cover Airworthiness, Flight Standards, Air Traffic Management and Air Navigation Systems and, soon, Aerodromes.

Under each of these headings, EASA issues Implementing Regulations. Airworthiness has 2, Initial Airworthiness and Continuing Airworthiness.

You are interested in the Implementing Regulation for Continuing Airworthiness, referred to as EC 2042/2003. An-up-to-date ("Consolidated") version of this is available, click here (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:2003R2042:20120801:EN:PDF). This document has the information you need. (Well, you also need AMCs and GM, but we won't go there at the moment!)

EC 2042/2003 has 4 "Parts".

Part M
Part 145
Part 66
Part 147

Part M tells you the requirements for maintenance that aircraft operators and owners are responsible for. As such you need to know about it.

Part 145 tells you how the maintenance is to be carried out.

It helps to understand this if you think of a car owner; it's her legal responsibility to make sure the annual road-worthiness certificate is current. That's Part M. The approved garage has the Government's rules for inspection, repair and issue of the certificate. That's Part 145.

The other Parts deal with licensing and training, as you know from Douggie.

Curious_Engineer
21st Oct 2012, 21:28
@ Easaman.
Thanks for the link.

@Capot
Thanks for your summarised info.

Curious_Engineer
21st Oct 2012, 21:35
@Dougie_diesel
"To actually sign off a maintenance task you will have to complete a type course for the applicable aircraft, then obtain a company approval."

So B2 plus the type course of that aircraft to work and certify it's fitness?

And finally how much experience is required for CAT B2? I read some where that after every 5 years you have to take the papers again to renew your licence?

Dougie_diesel
22nd Oct 2012, 18:30
So B2 plus the type course of that aircraft to work and certify it's fitness?

Yeah, to certify a task you need a basic license of the applicable trade (B1 or B2), a type course for that aircraft AND the company you're working for will have to grant you a company approval.

Experience:
The amout required varies, for example,

1) IF you complete a recognised course at an approved 147 training facility, you only need 2 years experience for the B2.

2) IF you're already qualified in another trade,motor mechanic or domestic electrician for example, the B2 may be granted in 3 years.

3) IF you get a job working as a mechanic, and take the exmas in your spare time, you need to prove the full 5 years for the B2.

Option 3, in my opinion, is the best route (but by no means the easiest), and by large the one most people take. If you find a college who does a 2 year license course then you'll have your B2 in 4 years instead of 5, however you'll be lacking in experience compared to guys who have taken the other routes.

I read some where that after every 5 years you have to take the papers again to renew your licence?

You DO have to renew the license every 5 years, but to do so is only a matter of proving to the authority that you've actually been using it. No extra study required!

flyhuzaifa_a380
22nd Oct 2012, 19:48
now from August 2012 ,you have almost 10 years to complete your OJT AND attempt all the easa MODULES THEORETICALLY ..........

Curious_Engineer
23rd Oct 2012, 10:57
@Dougie_diesel
Thanks for your post. It was really helping.

@flyhuzaifa_a380

10 years?Where is this news from?

easaman
24th Oct 2012, 12:56
It is in the new 2042/2003

66.A.25 Basic knowledge requirements
(a) An applicant for an aircraft maintenance licence, or the addition of a category or subcategory to such a licence, shall demonstrate by examination a level of knowledge in the appropriate subject modules in accordance with the Appendix I to Annex III (Part-66). The examination shall be conducted either by a training organisation appropriately approved in accordance with Annex IV (Part-147) or by the competent authority.
(b) The training courses and examinations shall be passed within 10 years prior to the application for an aircraft maintenance licence or the addition of a category or subcategory to such aircraft maintenance licence. Should this not be the case, examination credits may however be obtained in accordance with point (c).

Saptarshi
25th Oct 2012, 13:24
Just wondering if someone can help me ...

I have NZCAA LAME in Avio Cat. what do i need to do to convert it

1.B2 licence.
2.FAA licence.
3.EASA licence.

Thanks a lot.

Kiwiconehead
28th Oct 2012, 03:36
The reason for this istwo-fold, the liberal way that they issue AMEL to former military staff

Must have changed since I had to sit every exam just like everyone else when I left the military?