PDA

View Full Version : 737CL vs. 737NG hours

davve
19th Oct 2012, 16:09
I'm thinking of getting 500h on the 737CL to give my job hunt a boost.

Will I be eligeble for positions requiring 500h on 737NG if I'm rated on the CL and NG?

Cant seem to find the answer anywhere.

LeftHeadingNorth
19th Oct 2012, 19:15
If you buy 500h CL and apply for a job requesting 500h NG then no, that won't do the trick. :ugh: You will still be eligible though...

davve
20th Oct 2012, 16:56
So basically my CL hours would be useless for all jobs requiring hours on the NG.

The thing I'm wondering is how an airline would see my 500cl EFIS hours. It kinda proves that I am able to fly the NG as well seeing how I will be rated on the NG and the CL (efis) and NG are not alltogether that different.

Shooting_Star
21st Oct 2012, 07:02
Try to look once first how many jobs you'll find with 500hr on type on B737. You'll need atleast 1500ht TT.

de facto
21st Oct 2012, 10:53
I'm thinking of getting 500h on the 737CL to give my job hunt a boost.

The thing I'm wondering is how an airline would see my 500cl EFIS hours. It kinda proves that I am able to fly the NG

No it doesnt,paying for 500 hours just proves you have money and the airline in question has sufficient training captains.
Now if you get the airline to keep you in for a few years,then the next airline may believe you are up to the job.

davve
21st Oct 2012, 17:26
Try to look once first how many jobs you'll find with 500hr on type on B737. You'll need atleast 1500ht TT.

After the LT I will have racked up a total of 1000h. Have found a couple companies with those requirements.

No it doesnt,paying for 500 hours just proves you have money and the airline in question has sufficient training captains.
Now if you get the airline to keep you in for a few years,then the next airline may believe you are up to the job.

Even if there are no guarantees for further employment there is still a chance. More than you can say about trucking on as usual.

WeMadeYou
21st Oct 2012, 22:35
Why would anyone ever employ you if you if they see you are ready to pay them to fly!?
You are 25 so just keep your licenses valid, fly as much as you can at aeroclubs, towing, FFK etc. and you land a job one day with Golden Air, Nextjet, Malmö, or even SAS maybe in the future.
Paying for flying will only ruin your career, and the only thing you will get is MAYBE crappy conditions in a third world country.

de facto
22nd Oct 2012, 04:39
Even if there are no guarantees for further employment there is still a chance

Maybe,but very slim.
Flying 500 hrs with training captains doesnt mean you can fly,believe me, I had a paying fo on turboprops,the guy wasnt kept on even though i tried all i could to get him to a standard level.
He just wasnt cut for it.
He quit aviation last i heard of him.He was luckily a lawyer prior to paying to fly.

All im saying is being on the right seat while paying for it may be a way to gain experience but only if you have what it takes to make it,normally what a CV /sim check and interview find out.
Its a big gamble to play FO...

Now if you really want to go that way,wait and find an airline that needs fo and does this line training,,so if youre up to the task,they will keep you.

You dont want to go for your interview and have to answer the question of why exactly 500hrs on type...a very big chance you will be sent home.

737RIDE
28th Oct 2012, 06:03
Dear Davve

I hve more than 2000 on 737 900ER, i flew classic only on the sim, from my point of view if you can manage a good flight ( and you should after 500 ) in the classic you can definitely have an easy upgarde on the NG, you'll have to deal with Smart Landing Feature, FMC software 10.8 or later , different cross scan but mainly features you can learn from the book, manual handling will be different, expecially during FD ILS , visual pattern and flare tecnique but all things you can deal with a small and simple line training...

The real problem is that if i can not find another decent job with more 2000 hours on NG how could you ?
The fact that you have 500 on CL will be the first reason they will use to ask you to pay the line training again !!

For most of the airlines you will be below minimun requirements, 500NG was good maybe 3 years ago but now , if look around, they ask for 1500 and 60% of them dont even reply to you as they have plenty of applicants with more than 1500... only the most reputablesairlines will answer you telling that you are in the Pool.... ( i'm swimming more than one year right now ) and the only way to move on will be to put the money on the table again with a crapy 5 planes airline that makes more money from cadet training than passenger transport !!
This is maybe the reason eaglejet, is selling line training + employment, becouse everibody already knows that with 500 you don't go anywhere... and even after that contract you will have 50% chance to go back home and start selling cars after being repleased by the new fresh cadet ( withc isn't so bad compared to the nightmare i'm leaving now )
Sorry for being so cruel... i just hate them so much ...

davve
3rd Nov 2012, 00:11
Its good to get this kind of input but I cant but wonder how it can be that an experienced pilot with lots of hours on type cant find a job? Is it that the jobs are in another part of the world? Is the pay not high enough? Not willing to work on contracts?

I keep seeing these contracts popping up in wierd places with not so high requirements. Just today I saw a posting about a 6 month contract flying 737-200 out of Baghdad and the only requirement was that you be current. Granted maybe not the most attractive place to work but the point is I keep seeing these odd contracts in odd places.
Are people not willing to go where the work is or what is the problem with these contracts?

I would actually apply for the Baghdad job if I could, just to able to tell my grandkids about that time I was working in baghdad.

737RIDE
3rd Nov 2012, 01:29
Dear Davve

Yes i saw about 737 In Iraq somewere i don't remember, i don't have any feedback about pilots but a friend of mine that works for a reputable English Newspaper is there for 2 weeks everymonth, he told me that is dangerous but not so bad for him, he is protected from a kind of international law so the governament can't touch him ... some people and local autoities are ostiles expecially towards Americans !! Well if you live in a war area, you have no job , no family and basically nothing to loose maybe i would consider that :uhoh:.....
However you have to consider, how much time to be ready and start flying ?? salary, amount of hours you fly every month , sometimes yes they need pilots but they don't even have the right structure to train the pilots they need !! So it will happen the same that is happening here to the poor fellow pilots in Swirijaya, they paid 28000$ upfront and after almost 1 year nobody started any linetraining !! i know personally some of them that are now back in Europe waiting for news or to have the money back !! in the mean time they still pay a very expensive rent here in Jakarta !!

With LionAir is 50&50 , some people here from more than 1 year have barely 100 hours LT , others like me did manage to make more than 500 but was not 2012 , now every LT captain has 2 trainee in the cockpit alternating for the right seat, becouse there are a lot of cadets and not enough LT Capains, most of this captains ( those that have a good English ) are leaving for better conditions so the situation is not going to improove for cadets...

Artie Fufkin
3rd Nov 2012, 19:52
Just today I saw a posting about a 6 month contract flying 737-200 out of Baghdad and the only requirement was that you be current.

Flying a dead type out of a war zone. And you call that an opportunity?

Raccatto
3rd Nov 2012, 20:51
Dear 737RIDE
i think for sure that you considered also Norwegian Air Shuttle.
I suppose that their requirements are fully elegible for you or am i wrong ?

A question. where did you fly the most of your 2000 hrs?
thank you.

davve
3rd Nov 2012, 22:04
Flying a dead type out of a war zone. And you call that an opportunity?

In bad times you have to make due. Not a great opportunity but still work.

KAG
4th Nov 2012, 01:08
Go fly a Cessna 210 somewhere is the bush.

B737900er
4th Nov 2012, 09:55
KAG, there a very little jobs doing that, plus a 1000 other pilots have done the same.

There a very little jobs flying as an FI, Aeriel surveying, or bush flying!

To do jump flights requires you to have 700tt and XXX Pic time. Well a out of training pilot will struggle to get that as a job.

davve
4th Nov 2012, 11:56
KAG, there a very little jobs doing that, plus a 1000 other pilots have done the same.

There a very little jobs flying as an FI, Aeriel surveying, or bush flying!

To do jump flights requires you to have 700tt and XXX Pic time. Well a out of training pilot will struggle to get that as a job.

I am currently working as a FI.

As for jump flights do you mean flying skydivers? The skydiving club I'm flying for had a minimum of 500h TT and 100h Taildragger. I got onboard with only 380h TT and 50h taildragger.

I would if I could.

737RIDE
9th Nov 2012, 01:29
Dear 737RIDE
i think for sure that you considered also Norwegian Air
Shuttle.
I suppose that their requirements are fully elegible for you or am
i wrong ?

A question. where did you fly the most of your 2000 hrs?

thank you.

Dear Racatto

Tanks for the info , i've already tried very hard for Norwgian, that would be a dream expecially for the malaga base , got a quick answer but nothing more , i think every 737 driver that have those requirements and more here in asia tried with them but as far as i know only 2 guys with a fluent Scandinavian language did manage to go there and they were called for interview immediately after application.
i did my 2000 and more with lionair

Not a bad idea ... just got the news that another guy didn't manage to renew the contract and will be heading home at the beginning of Dicember, mine will expire at the beginning of the next year and i'm already looking forward to fly bush if i find something...

so he went personally to ask why and the answer was :
" becouse we are not interested !!! "
so he told him :
" how is it possible? if you are still recruiting FO from the Agencies and there are plenty of FO waiting for company check or to start line training means you need FO !!!!"
After this question he became really pissed and he asked him to live the office ....