PDA

View Full Version : Group Captain Bill Randle, Daily Telegraph Obituaries. Obituary

Pom Pax
19th Oct 2012, 02:57
I am quite sure our readership can expand this article.
Group Captain Bill Randle - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9618221/Group-Captain-Bill-Randle.html)

Wrathmonk
19th Oct 2012, 13:42
Impressive stuff!

Not related to the obituary as such but I was, however, surprised to read the comment

It was, however, Air Ministry policy that successful evaders would not return to operational flying over north-west Europe.

Surprised only that it seems quite 'compassionate' in what was an era where such things were not always at the forefront of our leaders minds.

Halton Brat
19th Oct 2012, 13:49
Wrathmonk

The reason behind this policy was that if such aircrew were captured subsequently in this theatre, they may have inadvertently exposed valuable information regarding escape lines etc.

HB

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
19th Oct 2012, 14:47
It was, however, Air Ministry policy that successful evaders would not return to operational flying over north-west Europe.

There were some who returned to operational flying over NW Europe after being captured then escaping - Basil Embry for one.

Aaron.

Wrathmonk
19th Oct 2012, 14:48
HB

Thank you - every day a school day and obvious when I think about it now!

tarantonight
19th Oct 2012, 21:02
What a top man, humbling just to read about him.

Safe journey Sir, wherever you may be.

TN.

AGS Man
20th Oct 2012, 07:06
I remember him well from a detatchment to the RAF Museum. A real Gentleman. RIP Sir

Innominate
20th Oct 2012, 15:54
Bill had a difficult time raising money for the Bomber Command Museum (now the Bomber Hall at Hendon) partly because of the anti-military atmosphere in some parts of British society in the early 1980s.

He visited one organisation whose chief executive explained that they would find it difficult to contriibute as they were trying to build links with their twin town in Germany, and asked whether Bill had visited it. His reply was along the lines of "Only once, in a Wellington, and I didn't stay long!"