PDA

View Full Version : What "unrestrited " mean on medical class 1

Alew Crew
18th Oct 2012, 14:03
Hello everyone,

On my medical class 1 JAR, (Passed in France), i have a mention in "Limitation or conditions" " Bring a secondary glasses in case on emergency" ...

Does my class 1 is restricted or not ?

Thanks a lot
Alexander

cavortingcheetah
18th Oct 2012, 15:37
In Britain or South Africa I'd hazard a guess that your Class I medical is surely restricted in that you must wear corrective lenses and have a pair of glasses within your reach in the cockpit.
It's probably not a problem though, you just write 'reading glasses' on any appropriate airline application form.

Alew Crew
19th Oct 2012, 08:01
Hi cavortingcheetah,

Thanks for your answer.

I call my Chief Doctor to ask him this question. According to him my medical class 1 is not "restricted" i have a "dispensation" to wear glasses in a case of emergency.

The best solution to know if to ask the airliner directly.

See you Guy,

Alexander

homonculus
19th Oct 2012, 11:37
I think your doctor needs a medical

A dispensation is where the regulations are allowed to be broken or suspended such as when you are given a rating or certificate which you normally would not qualify for. Flying VFR on top rotary is a dispensation not to be in sight of the ground when not able to fly IFR. You are breaking the ANO and in addition the dispensation is not right but done on an individual basis.

In this case you have met the medical standard for eyesight without glasses and are required to wear glasses but it applies to everyone and is not dependant on a regulator taking a view

I believe it is a restriction as you need to do something in addition but the issue is that provided you have the necessary glasses you can perform the same duties as if there were no restriction and so it has no employment issues

Phororhacos
19th Oct 2012, 12:04
I doubt the OP's doctor needs a medical. I suspect there is a translation issue here. My experience is limited to the UK, so this may not help.

VDL, VNL and VML on your medical are indeed limitations on your medical certificate.

I have never heard of a UK airline considering these practical limitations to employment.

In the UK the usual ones are

VDL - Shall wear corrective lenses and carry a spare set of spectacles;

This is used for defective unaided distance vision. Basically this means you must wear your glasses or contact lenses at all stages of flight and have a spare pair of spectacles easily available.

and

VNL - Shall have available corrective lenses for near vision and carry a spare set of spectacles;

This is used for defective unaided near vision. Basically this means you have 2 pairs of "reading glasses" to read small print, and, possibly, difficult to read instruments. You can take these off when you don't need them.

Othe authorities use VML which means bifocal or varifocal glasses but the UK only tends to use VDL to cover this one too. VDL rules apply.

Hope this helps.

Out of interest, which, if any of the VNL, VDL, VML is applied, or is it completely different?

evansb
19th Oct 2012, 12:09
I don't know what "unrestrited" means. Perhaps you all need corrective lenses.

Alew Crew
20th Oct 2012, 09:23
Hello Everybody,

You have to know each airlines have their definitions of "unrestricted" ... For Exemple Lion air, Indonesia Airline, don't accept pilot who has a little asthma but if you wear glasses it's not a problem althought on her recruitment pages is mentionned " Unrestricted medical Class 1 ".

So the best solution to know exaclty what they mean by "unrestricted" is to ask them directly.

Bye

cavortingcheetah
20th Oct 2012, 15:08
That's your call and interpretation based perhaps on an airline's own recruitment requirements. It would probably be more correct to say that medical restrictions are imposed by the relevant CAA on a medical certificate subject to the advice of its own medical advisers. Usually an airline's additional medical requirements for recruitment will be more restrictive than those of the relevant issuing licence authority.