PDA

View Full Version : Everything You Wanted To Know About the Vietnam War

SASless
18th Oct 2012, 13:51
A friend sent me this link.....which is as complete a list of sources for information on the Vietnam War I have ever seen.

Vietnam War Resources (http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/Thomas.Pilsch/Vietnam.html)

It seems the British Army fought its own Vietnam War.

Nine Articles by Luis Silva - Britain’s Vietnam War (http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/LuisSilva/00000013.htm)

Rosevidney1
18th Oct 2012, 18:34
There were a few Brits there including my old schoolfriend Rick Rescorla.

The Old Fat One
18th Oct 2012, 20:30
There were a few Brits there including my old schoolfriend Rick Rescorla.

You knew this dude?

I'm amazed they have not Hollywooded his story yet. In his 7th cav days I'd have Statham or Craig for him; 9/11 it would have to be Winstone (with a slightly posher accent).

I hear there is monument to him...Hayle?? Love to visit it one day.

Andu
18th Oct 2012, 20:49
If Rescola was half the soldier he was painted to be in "We Were Soldiers Once", he was one hell of a soldier. His actions, leading to his death, leading up to and on Sept 11th 2001 on New York, would seem to confirm that the authors of the abovementioned book weren't exaggerating about his deeds back in 1964.

500N
18th Oct 2012, 20:54
"There were a few Brits there including my old schoolfriend Rick Rescorla."

Yes, I knew of him, in fact I referred a US forum member to Wiki
the other week to read up on him when we were discussing Vietnam
on the forum (Ia Drang valley battle) and the number of famous people
that came out of that one battle.

He certainly lead an interesting life. RIP.

Andu
I agree. One person I would love to read more about.

SASless
18th Oct 2012, 21:05
He was very much the Soldier he was made out to be.

He lived and died leading from the front and was very much what can rightly be called a "Hero" and role model for all of us.

The real tribute to his greatness is how we all remember him and his actions during very difficult times at many points in his life.

He epitomized what being a Soldier is all about.

The link to his Memoral web site that pprune will not let me post here can be found by typing rickresorla and adding the dot and com afterwards.

angels
19th Oct 2012, 11:44
Many thanks for the links SASless, some excellent reading to be had there.

Just pointed them out to a mate who had no idea of the British involvement in 1945. I recall seeing film of the Japs being issued with Sten guns. Bizarre!

The Old Fat One
19th Oct 2012, 12:07
I've read a lot about him and impressive as his actions were in Ia Drang and 9/11 (under fire so to speak) what marks him out as the complete professional is way he conducted himself, both in his job as a soldier and head of security, throughout his career.

His knowledge and training in both his roles saved a great many lives.

I've long considered that he has not received all the recognition he should have had is because...

He was a brit (actually...he was a Cornishman)

He was overtly critical of Uncle Sam's foreign policy (there is a video of this somewhere on youtube)

He totally predicted 9/11...as did many other experts in security, aviation and counter-terrorism.

Can't have the american public knowing that they were utterly failed by those that are paid to protect them, because of economic inconvenience, vested interest and sheer incompetence.

RIP, RR The world is a better place for you passing through it.

500N
19th Oct 2012, 12:50
The Old Fat One

That is a good summary that explains why he hasn't had the recognition.

thunderbird7
19th Oct 2012, 12:55
Especially the Cornish bit! Onen hag Oll!

November4
19th Oct 2012, 16:51
Just seen that another Ia Drang, Second and Korean war veteran, Command Sergeant Major Plumley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_L._Plumley), died on 10 Oct 12

Rosevidney1
19th Oct 2012, 18:02
There is a slab of granite by the side of the harbour road in Hayle that serves as Rick's monument. I live about 3 miles from there. On his last visit to my house he regaled my son and I with Vietnam tales including telling us how he taught his troops the words of the song he had chosen for the company. It was 'Going Up Camborne Hill coming down'. ( Not quite as silly as it might seem as the world's first steam locomotive went up in reverse ) Oh and you are right. Rick was a Cornishman.

thunderbird7
19th Oct 2012, 20:43
'Going Up Camborne Hill coming down'.

Goin' up Camborne Hill, coming down
The horses stood still;
The wheels went around;
Going up Camborne Hill coming down
White stockings, white stockings she wore (she wore)
White stockings, white stockings she wore
White stockings she wore:
The same as before;
I knowed her old father old man (old man)
I knowed her old father old man
I knowed her old man:
He blawed in the band;
I 'ad 'er, I 'ad 'er, I did
I 'ad 'er, I 'ad 'er, I did
I 'ad 'er, I did:
It cost me a quid
He heaved in the coal, in the steam (the steam)
He heaved in the coal, in the steam
He heaved in the coal:
The steam hit the beam
Oh Please 'ave a baby by me
Oh Please 'ave a baby by me
I'm young and I'm strong:
Won't take very long
The horses stood still;
The wheels went around;

Dreckly me ansome!

Andu
19th Oct 2012, 21:42
Sadly, (shades of 'U-571' and many others before and since), if Hollywood ever did make a movie of Rick Rescola's life, that fact that he was a Brit would be erased, he'd speak with a mid-western American twang, and he'd still have a six pack for a stomach in 2011. (I suspect that many a six pack went into making the stomach he did have by then!)

It's by no means a recent phenomenon. Back in WW2, few in the Pacific theatre would have argued that Australian cameraman Damien Parer was anything but the war cameraman par excellence. When his excellent newsreels of the New Guinea campaign were shown in the US, (there was no 'real time' sound attached to the film), he was shown repeatedly on camera in Brit pattern winter battle dress, explaining the footage just seen or about to be seen), they dubbed his (quite educated and easily understood) Australian accent with an American voice. At every step, MacArthur went out of his way to paint the picture that anything positive coming out of his area of operations was 100% American.