PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for Software / IT support?

scottcaan
18th Oct 2012, 06:56
I'm studying at an Aviation school. Right now i'm working on finding a way to make life easier for flight technicians.

I would be extremely thankful for answers to some of my questions, it would really help me out a lot.

1. What's the most important activity in your job?

2. Can you give me a list of several important tasks in your job?
For example printing job cards, documenting, reading manuals, ordering spare parts, check lists, to do lists, etc? And shortly how do you do them today?

3. Do you have any pain/frustrations associated with some of these tasks/activities?

4. What softwares, programs, computer stuff, networks etc do you use today? For what purpose?

Extremely thankful for answers!

With respect,
Scott

YOUNGBUCK
7th Nov 2012, 14:57
Hi Scott,

Interesting post, good worthwhile study.

People will have different views on this as people get on with systems better than others, but IMHO....

AMOS is very good and used by many top MRO
RAL or (RUSADA) is very good also
SAP is not so good IMHO

Usually Manuals are viewed thru a manufacturers online portal wether it be BoeingToolbox or AirbusWorld or AirN@V

AMOS/RAL etc are used for parts ordering, aircraft asset tracking, diaries, planned maintenance, defect histories, work cards, a/c history ... basically everything

Gripes with systems is usually very little, as I find AMOS and RAL very refined systems. Usually speed is a problem, loading pages are annoying due to large databases of information. Also printing at my company is always difficult due to print servers always in maintenance!

Nearly all software is remote server based.

Tech Logs are commonly Electronic i.e they are a laptop, I know that a company called conduce makes software for these and most of the time the hardware is a panasonic toughbook.

Many airlines now have the pilots EFB (electronic flight bag) on iPad.

I know I have touched on a lot of different things but I thought this may be of use to your study.