PDA

View Full Version : No wonder nobody applauded (German c-160 landed short)

Christodoulidesd
17th Oct 2012, 22:10
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=a328f1682163" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More info here:

"On the airfield Ballenstedt in Saxony-Anhalt came on Tuesday nearly a fatal accident. Nearly 1,000 people had, according to a report in the "Bild" newspaper gathered to the arrival of a decommissioned by the army transport aircraft of the type C-160 Transall attend, which was intended for the air museum Wernigerode. The aircraft touched down at about 11 clock on the landing, however, the approach became obviously too low. Shortly after the twin-engine transport aircraft touched down first with the main landing gear on a road that runs across the runway. Finally, the pilot still managed to maneuver their aircraft on the runway and there to a standstill, however, show photos that were published of "image" as well as a video that the machine missed some onlookers by only a few meters" from LiveLeak.com - Near catastrophe in the last flight of a German military aircraft

Checkboard
17th Oct 2012, 23:24
"Hey, Hans! - I bet I can stop this empty short fielder before the piano keys ..." ;)

- Not really R&N material, though. :rolleyes:

FR8R H8R
18th Oct 2012, 01:36
Hope they retired the pilot as well as the aircraft. While the bounce over the fence was cool, where did they plan to land? Displaced threshold as well. Bad. Just bad.

Load Toad
18th Oct 2012, 03:30
I don't really think bouncing over the fence was part of the plan.....

500N
18th Oct 2012, 03:52
Looking at the video, it seems he just clipped the edge of the road
and rolled up onto it.

Another foot or two lower and it seems regardless of the
suspension in the wheels, it might have been a belly landing
followed by a skid onto the runway.

That would have been even worse !

con-pilot
18th Oct 2012, 04:22
Naw, it was planned, that first hit, err landing, on the road dissipated most of the energy and speed of the aircraft. Then the resulting short landing roll.

If I had been the pilot, that would have been my story and I would have stuck to it. :p

Cacophonix
18th Oct 2012, 05:30
Short landing by cargo plane on a quasi display flight...?

Even the best pilots get it wrong or something can go wrong...

Farnborough Airshow Crash - YouTube

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/deHavilland_DHC5D_story%5B1%5D.pdf

Captain in this thread's case must must be kicking himself and also thanking his lucky stars.

Caco

KAG
18th Oct 2012, 06:03
I jumped many times from the Transall C160 in Europe and Africa, that's a nice airplane.

This C160 landing is..... Well... Interesting....
Thanks for sharing.

diginagain
18th Oct 2012, 06:34
From the CVR;

How wide is that runway?

EDMJ
18th Oct 2012, 07:04
Looking at the video, it seems he just clipped the edge of the road
and rolled up onto it.

It was a she..... :E

Basil
18th Oct 2012, 07:46
Good shot for any pilot to watch.
Admittedly empty but tough little u/c :ok:

green granite
18th Oct 2012, 08:09
I'm amazed it didn't wipe a few spotters out, they usually like standing right underneath the approach path. There again perhaps they'd seen it before and were wary.

hetfield
18th Oct 2012, 08:16
It was a she..... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gifHopefully wearing an extra strong sports bra:ouch:

BOAC
18th Oct 2012, 08:19
Anyone know how 'short' the ACTUAL runway was in terms of a Transall?

EDMJ
18th Oct 2012, 08:24
Ballenstedt has a 685 m long runway

ORAC
18th Oct 2012, 08:34
That's not a short landing - this is a short landing.... :ouch:

8YOtm9UCQEc

BOAC
18th Oct 2012, 08:47
Ballenstedt has a 685 m long runway - not over-long! Anyone know what an empty Transall can do?

t7a
18th Oct 2012, 08:52
:cool: This thread ties in nicely with last month's 'Landing' thread! Courtney seems to be remarkably quiet!

NutLoose
18th Oct 2012, 08:57
Thread already running with other vids

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/498279-german-transalls-final-flight-into-museum-lands-road-first.html

TT2
18th Oct 2012, 10:41
I reckon it was deliberate. Anyone here flown into really short strips? I've been into a few (Many times) and there aren't fixed distance markers so perspective becomes all. Easy to get a bit short - human nature when the mind's eye thinks "Ooooohhh, that's a bit piggin' not long enough".

EDMJ
18th Oct 2012, 11:39
Anyone know what an empty Transall can do?

I've seen German Transall's practicing take-offs and landings on a smallish GA field in my neighbourhood with an 800 m runway, and it was absolutely effortless. They have also been said to do the same on another airfield here in the area with a 735 m grass runway.

StopStart
18th Oct 2012, 12:17
I reckon it was deliberate. Anyone here flown into really short strips?

I've flown into plenty of short strips, usually grass or dirt, in the dark, in a bigger aircraft than that, marked out with far less than that runway and I've yet to mong it as badly as that (there's still time of course).

I'm assuming they had a dispensation to ignore the displaced threshold (hence the fenced off road) however the fact they were pretty much at taxi speed abeam the PAPIS suggests that this was in no way "intentional". Too flat an approach, misjudged aim point and pilot error is what that was.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th Oct 2012, 13:18
A German newspaper stated that there wouldn't be an inquiry as it was the aircraft's last flight (or aircraft type's last flight, my German's not that great).

I expect the pilot will still get a ...(insert currently PC term for female pilots getting a bollocking).

Thanks for the C-130 vid ORAC - oh for the days when what you thought up in the bar/your garage could still be tried out a a major engineering company the next day.

The Helpful Stacker
18th Oct 2012, 14:03
I expect the pilot will still get a ...(insert currently PC term for female pilots getting a bollocking).

I'm guessing the un-PC term would be a shafting.....

TT2
18th Oct 2012, 14:16
'I'm assuming they had a dispensation to ignore the displaced threshold (hence the fenced off road) however the fact they were pretty much at taxi speed abeam the PAPIS suggests that this was in no way "intentional". Too flat an approach, misjudged aim point and pilot error is what that was.'

'Course it was pilot error, and who among us have not had that shaky hand bit in the pub after making an almighty cock up? (And not getting caught or dead). To err is human. I have yet to meet the perfect person.

500N
18th Oct 2012, 16:32
"I expect the pilot will still get a ...(insert currently PC term for female pilots getting a bollocking)."

I was going to say ramming.

Rigga
18th Oct 2012, 19:19
"Hans, Das ist eine sehr kurtz Startbahn!

"Ja Gunter! aber so breit!"

Ripline
18th Oct 2012, 21:20
Hans, Das ist eine sehr kurtz Startbahn!

"Ja Gunter! aber so breit!"

What's "kurtz"? D'ya mean "kurze"?:E

Rigga
18th Oct 2012, 22:52
okay...'s been a while...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th Oct 2012, 23:07
I thought he meant Kurtz, as in 'evil, bastard'

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8ZLZsV89Ns0/TIn0iPA4NsI/AAAAAAAAAWg/Hqi9PSfQrG8/marlin-brando-as-colonel-kurtz-apolcalypse-now-1979.gif

BBK
19th Oct 2012, 00:41
T7a

My thoughts exactly;)

Touch down zone anyone...

BBK

dead_pan
20th Oct 2012, 22:18
Courtney seems to be remarkably quiet!

I recall he did say that anyone who couldn't land between the piano keys and the numbers is a girl. This vid proves his point.

A A Gruntpuddock
27th Dec 2012, 09:39
As a non-flyer, it looks to me that the pilot did not expect the road to be slightly higher than the runway.

mike-wsm
27th Dec 2012, 11:44
Innteresting. I was under a rather large airliner when it did similar, trusting little soul, didn't even try to run...

GuilhasXXI
27th Dec 2012, 11:57
Just another view from a different spotter

Transall C-160 in Ballenstedt - YouTube

MightyGem
27th Dec 2012, 14:22
As a non-flyer, it looks to me that the pilot did not expect the road to be slightly higher than the runway.
Even so, he was still undershooting the piano keys.

airborne_artist
27th Dec 2012, 15:10

Never assume ... (or time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted) ;)

rmac
27th Dec 2012, 18:45
Did a series of freeze frames on the clip from post 35 and it shows clearly that the gear touched down after the road, but before the runway and it seems that the grass between the road and the runway is an embankment with a peak height of a metre or two above the runway height and the main gear just kisses that peak, if there was no bank the trajectory would have been on target for the threshold.....interesting perspective gotcha rather than a vanilla land-short.

Biggus
27th Dec 2012, 21:17
rmac,

"....shows clearly that the gear touched down after the road....".

I don't think so, have a look at the second photo down here:

Plane spotting enthusiasts come within inches of death after military aircraft misses runway | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2253449/Plane-spotting-enthusiasts-come-inches-death-military-aircraft-misses-runway.html?ICO=most_read_module)

Only 3 threads running on this incident at the moment, any chance the mods could combine them, or remove some?

rmac
28th Dec 2012, 11:41
Yes, agreed, that's a clearer shot, road is on the embankment and embankment got in the way of the "glide path". CFIT incident then :E

tmmorris
28th Dec 2012, 15:13
According to the Daily Mail site the pilot stopped it 100yds after the threshold. Some good piloting, then.

Tim

BOAC
28th Dec 2012, 16:04
the pilot stopped it 100yds after the threshold. Some good piloting, then. ??? Despite the fact that she nearly stopped it 100yds SHORT of the runway?:confused:

Onceapilot
28th Dec 2012, 20:52
It was a c#ck-up! Good that no one was hurt.
Always remember that NO-ONE will notice your risk taking, no-margin flying. It looks just as good with a nice safety margin!

OAP

Temp Spike
30th Dec 2012, 05:11
Not very good at Spot landing. The official landing was in the dirt. Be picking dirt-clods out of the wheel wells for sure