PDA

View Full Version : Where next?

kevineggsandbacon
15th Oct 2012, 10:47
I'm currently working at a flying school in Melbourne, I've been there for around 3 years and have worked hard to get myself a grade one instructor rating and just recently a MECIR, I've got around 1800 single engine command hours and only a few dual multi engine hours, which I acquired during my MECIR training.
I feel that its about time to move on, ultimately I'd love to end up in the airlines and I'm just after some advice from anyone who has been in my position.

kalavo
16th Oct 2012, 06:41
What?

You're 25 and haven't worked out the traditional career progression from Instructing to get to an airline? You've got a CIR/ME now so you must have some idea of what you need to do?

Pack up the car! Start driving! Speak to all your former students who left with a CPL and now flying for a charter company, a regional or on a jet. Find out who they worked for and who to talk to (or who to avoid!). You haven't seen one instructor in your organisation move on?! Speak to them!

If you don't know how to network and make use of the contacts you have by now... :confused:

Capt Fathom
16th Oct 2012, 13:36
Mummy!!!!!

the_rookie
16th Oct 2012, 23:44
hopefully your not at my flying school!

Skydiveandy
17th Oct 2012, 01:17
@ The Rookie.. Your name says it all. and Capt Fathom, Given you have absolutely no idea what the hell your talking about, and nothing positive to say, i would suggest you keep your comments to yourselves..

Its obvious this guy has worked hard over the past 3 years. The job of an Instructor can be hard and at time tedious.

3 years is the perfect time to get out. Its exactly what I did and I can assure you its the best thing i have ever done.

kevineggsandbacon send me a pm and i will give you a run down on my experiences.

Andy

SpyderPig
17th Oct 2012, 01:34
Why not try somewhere like hinterland aviation out of Cairns or maybe hardys in Darwin if you have atpls done. You would probably be on a twin in about 6 months there I'm told.

the_rookie
17th Oct 2012, 02:18
not saying he hasnt worked hard etc., but how do you not have a plan knowing right well that you wouldnt be an instructor your whole life?

Skydiveandy
17th Oct 2012, 02:37
@ The Rookie.. Dont you think thats the reason he was asking for some advice.

He hasnt left his current job. He is now considering the next step forward.

A smart move i believe.

Andy